Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber

I have a .50 Caliber (with a Black Shadow speaker) that I bought in the late-'80s and have owned ever since. It's a great amp with lots of balls. But, I would imagine, the EL84s are going to make it sound way different from the Marshall. I had a Lead Master put on mine which helps greatly in balancing the levels between the two channels.

I might be tempted to sell it.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
      I have a .50 Caliber (with a Black Shadow speaker) that I bought in the late-'80s and have owned ever since. It's a great amp with lots of balls. But, I would imagine, the EL84s are going to make it sound way different from the Marshall. I had a Lead Master put on mine which helps greatly in balancing the levels between the two channels.

That is SO tempting, Evan, but honestly only the head version is practical for me right now. Maybe you're tempted to buy my Marshall? Yeeesssss? YEEESSSSS! LOL

I sincerely appreciate the kind offer though. If this Marshall wasn't my ONLY amp and I had the cash on hand, I would be all over that!
      Yowza!

Comment

....further to my earlier post....i did not know the .50 was el84 based, by dual caliber was 6l6 based, so you better take my recommendation with a grain of salt.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

My .50 Caliber+ had 6L6 power tubes. I wasn't aware of one, that had EL84s.

Comment

The .50cal has EL84s and the .50cal+ has 6L6s.
            Last edited by Soulcrusher_X; 04-13-2012, 07:31 PM.

LP Custom
            Greenbacks
            Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
              Kirk uses Randall RG100s with a Metal Zone in front. USUALLY with Mesa cabs, but he might still be using the Oranges with V30s. I dont know how much Down is using the Oranges anymore, but they did use the TV50s for a little while. During NOLA, they used Pepper's rig and a JCM800, but then they used their own rigs on tour. DownII was a bunch of plug-ins for the studio, and their own rigs on tour. OTU is MOSTLY Bogner Shiva, which I THINK is a modded-JCM800 style tone, but also 3 or 4 other amps. On tour, they used their usual stuff for a while, but then used the Oranges on the 2009 Download tour in the UK, and they have been using them here and there on US tours.

COC = Mesa
              Crowbar = Randall
              Down = a lot of amps.
              I just saw crowbar last week, they were both using orange cabinet fullstacks, lead singer was using two randall heads

I saw DOWN about 5 months ago, they were both using orange thunderverb full stacks that sounded AMAZING!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post

Does your .50 Cal have EQ and reverb?
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I have two .50Cal+'s. You can get a great clean tone or a great chunky lead rhythm tone, but not both due to the shared EQ. My clean tone channel sounds like Malcom Young's rhythm tone. my distortion channel is brutal. Great amps.
                  2 Mesa Boogie .50 Cal+ heads
                  King Custom Cabinets

http://horsecore.net (deadhorse)
                  http://myspace.com/pasadenanapalmdivision
                  http://myspace.com/forcefedaustin

Comment

Stop. Im really starting to miss my MKIII.

LP Custom
                    Greenbacks
                    Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by Soulcrusher_X View Post
                      The .50cal has EL84s and the .50cal+ has 6L6s.
                      So that's really the only difference? Hmmm...
                      Yowza!

Comment

Originally posted by scottcrud View Post
                        I have two .50Cal+'s. You can get a great clean tone or a great chunky lead rhythm tone, but not both due to the shared EQ. My clean tone channel sounds like Malcom Young's rhythm tone. my distortion channel is brutal. Great amps.
                        I want one SO BAD. I've dealt with 2 channels sharing 1 EQ all this time so far, so it probably wouldn't bother me much. Come to think of it, I have yet to use my clean channel in a band setting so far anyhow! Haha
                        Yowza!

Comment

Originally posted by jrbowen81 View Post
                          So that's really the only difference? Hmmm...
                          Yeah, pretty much. Might be some other minor differences, but that's the major one.

LP Custom
                          Greenbacks
                          Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by jrbowen81 View Post
                            I want one SO BAD. I've dealt with 2 channels sharing 1 EQ all this time so far, so it probably wouldn't bother me much. Come to think of it, I have yet to use my clean channel in a band setting so far anyhow! Haha
                            Im not sure how much different the 50cal is from the MKIII, but my MKIII shared an EQ like the 50cal, and I was able to get brutal tones from the Drive channel and have a really nice, shimmery clean on the egde of breakup with CH1. Your choice of V1 tube will dictate a lot of your tone AND how the clean responds. I used a TungSol in V1 of my MKIII and Splawns because it has a lot of headroom for cleaner tones, good gain for OD and well.....I liked the tone in general.

LP Custom
                            Greenbacks
                            Boss SD-1

Comment

In a nutshell, those Fender-headed Boogies are some of the most badass amps ever.

LP Custom
                              Greenbacks
                              Boss SD-1

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                                i had one. a DC50. reeally nice. killer fat smooth overdrive. Clean as clean gets. Great amp. The Eq is really useful too.
                                But its not a marshall. The really dont sound anything alike so its hard to compare them. However, i used to gig a 900 dually for years, and ive got a 900 MKIII currently. You might miss the marshall mid crunch, but the boogie does pretty much everything else in spades and effortlessly. Mesas are in a different class of amp altogther. Serious gear.
                                Do it....you can always go back to a jcm900 if you can't live without that sound - its not like they are rare. Mesas hold their value too.
                                +1, right down to the fact that I also used to gig with a 900 Dual Reverb (head/cab), though my Mesas have not included a DC. They have been a Mark III 1x12, an F50 head, and (still being made) an Express 5/25 1x12. I liked the Marshall a lot, but I like all of those Mesas better all around.

Your Marshall does its "Marshall thing" quite well, but is kind of a one trick pony IMO. I sort of view most Marshalls that way (though my former TSL 122 was a bit more versatile than most). And IME any Marshall is nowhere near as bulletproof as a Mesa. Ideally you could keep both, but if I had to sell a 900 to get a Mesa, I'd probably do it.

My only complaint about my Mesas? They have a little bit of "jack of all trades" syndrome, such that they don't have an exceedingly apparent and pointed voice of their own. There is so much versatility packed into most Mesas that it can actually be a bit frustrating at times if you are not happy being a knob fiddler (which I certainly am not). The one I have on order seems to have the most "character" of all the Mesas I've tried...probably because it is one of the least versatile – hence easiest to operate – Mesa designs ever produced. It does a few things and does them well, as opposed to trying to offer you every possible sound known to man (like that damned Mk. III). I am glad Mesa now offers several models that are more "specifically directed" tonally – and less confusing to operate – than that Mk. III.
                                Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-15-2012, 09:12 AM.
                                Originally posted by LesStrat
                                Yogi Berra was correct.
                                Originally posted by JOLLY
                                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X