I know I've gotten Fuzz Face Crazy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I've gotten Fuzz Face Crazy!

But I wanted to play around with this lately.

I've always played mostly strats and Gibsons, and primarily do blues rock, roots, and modern song oriented rock. My guitars, amps, and staple pedals are fairly set in stone.

But, I've always been fascinated with fuzz pedals, and trying to understand how to make them as musical as possible with amps of varying gain levels.
    There's something really organic and 'connected' if you know what I mean.
    Maybe it's the lack of components or something, similar to tubes.

Anyhow, I've had the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz Face on my board for awhile, as the first pedal in the chain. My other staple dirt boxes are the Klon and T Rex Mudhoney - another incredible pedal.

So, what did I do last month? Yeah, I bought the Bonamassa FF and wah, just because they're cool and I wanted them. The Bonamassa Fuzz Face is warm, smooth, and not really fuzzy, but sounds so cool it's addictive.
    With most Fuzz's you back off the gain, but on the JB you dime it because it's optimum gain is right there.

The trick to fuzz pedals is to set them where they react best to your playing, and then adjust the amp to fit it just right, then ride your guitar's volume control.

Because Dunlop is only releasing some of these Fuzz Faces in 2500 unit limited runs, I was also bit by the idea of getting the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face - which is supposedly more similar to the Hendrix....supposedly the best according to Eric Johnson's fanatical love for the Arbiter FF......of which he wanted just right.

Tomorrow, I'll be eagerly awaiting delivery of the EJ Fuzz Face. And I guess I'll have the best flavors of that pedal completely covered, having the Hendrix, Bonamassa, and Johnson. The rest of my board will stay the same, but I may switch those out depending on my mood.
    After awhile with each, I'm sure I'll settle on the one that I like the most.
    I'm curious to know which one it'll be.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-20-2012, 01:23 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: I know I've gotten Fuzz Face Crazy!

Glad to see you're jumping on the fuzz wagon! I recently climbed aboard myself - I had a Lovepedal Silicon Fuzzmaster for a bit, but I returned it and got a NKT-275 Sunface. One of my favorite pedals, without a doubt. I've also got a Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom on the way. I'd really like to try some of Skreddy's offerings, especially the Deluxe Lunar Module. And a Skinpimp MKIII (that one sounds ridiculously awesome, but the $300 price tag is a bit intimidating...)

From my (limited) experience, and from conferring with long time fuzz face users, the best way to set up a fuzz face of any kind is always dime the fuzz. On some SI models, you can notch it back a hair to kill some of the noise, but my Sunface, and all of the other fuzz faces I've tried, sound best that way. Fuzz Faces respond to guitar volume manipulation in a very different manner than overdrives and distortion.

But yeah, I'm a fuzz convert now. I want to throw a PT-Mini board together with just like five high quality fuzzes. That would be a killer board.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

The only thing stopping me from getting the EJ fuzz is the feeling that I already have SI territory covered with an MXR Classic 108 Fuzz -- basically the Hendrix fuzz w/ a buffer, in a pedalboard-friendly shape, led light, etc.

But if that JB fuzz ever comes out again, I *will* be first in line next time.

Originally posted by nedcronin
      Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
      Originally posted by metalmachine
      dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Cool! Fuzzes are fun stuff. They seems to react to nuances more than od/dist, making them feel more alive. Sometimes I'll hit the same note twice and it sounds different both times, I dig that.

Comment

I'm still waiting to get my fuzz on. I think Devi Ever forgot about me. Again.

Comment

since i got my red dot sunface ive been enthralled with the fuzz, it can be a little tricky to cut thru a dense mix without being terribly loud but the rewards are worth the effort

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
              I'm still waiting to get my fuzz on. I think Devi Ever forgot about me. Again.
              whatcha gettin?

Comment

That's cool Joe, it will be interesting to hear how they compare. I received my JB Fuzz Face yesterday to go with my JB Wah but haven't had chance to try it yet due to work commitments!

Comment

I got an EJ fuzz last week with Guitar Center's 13% off. It's pretty sweet. I'm still playing with it and getting used to it, but it is really really fun.

I have it first in the chain, then octavio, then wah then phase then fulldrive 2.

So far I have volume on fuzz around 3 o'clock and fuzz at 2 o'clock. This works well with my buckers and my new p-90 guitar. With volume backed off on the p-90s I have a nice crunchy sound. With volume full I have a real smooth warm fuzz. With the buckers it's a little more out of control, but I like that as well.
                  Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Then it wouldn't be a fuzz face!
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                      Love the fuzz face sound but can't they make it in a smaller box?
                      they do. i think dunlop makes one and lots of others do too. like the analogman sunface

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                        Love the fuzz face sound but can't they make it in a smaller box?

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m173-classic-108-fuzz

Originally posted by nedcronin
                        Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                        Originally posted by metalmachine
                        dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

Really, you have no choice but to keep the EJ pedal. Mostly because every time you have buddies over and want to show off your pedals you can ask them if they'd like you to whip out your Johnson.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^ lol, good one!
                            So, I thought Fulltone '70 was a meticulous re-creation of Ej's favorite fuzz allready?
                            I just want a Silicon , and Germanium. I got the Sunface NKT275, but still need a Si, and am torn between the Fulltone '70, which is a little rattier I think, and the Dunlop Hendrix fuzz which I believe is more truer to late Hendrix. Then again, I've heard that to have all bases covered, you'll need an Roger mayer Axis/Clone..cause thats what Hendrix is said to have used from '69 onwards and in Band of Gypsies.
                            I also got a Hybrid Si/Ge made by 'Maxxface' that I enjoy.Also have a Tweakfuzz thats awesome.
                            Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM.
                            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Really, you have no choice but to keep the EJ pedal. Mostly because every time you have buddies over and want to show off your pedals you can ask them if they'd like you to whip out your Johnson.
                              Actually, I have two Johnsons. A fuzz and a resonator.
                              One's short and stubby, and the other is long and shiny.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X