Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I just don't understand all the EVH tone fascination

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    No disrespect, but I didn't just recently get my first exposure to EVH, I was playing in rock bands when he started. I didn't like his tone even back then.
    Full disclosure, there are some grandpas younger than me in the mountains of Appalachia.

So, since I have been following your posts and reading your good stuff for a while now (lurked a loooong time before I posted)...

What are examples of tones that you really dig? Hopefully I will have some of that in my library and I can check it out... BTW, I don't own any Mahogany Rush, have never heard them, so leave Frank out. lol.
    Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

You come off as a prick Zenmindbeginner, I 've seen your posts over several forums......you know somethimg.....ok.. so do too do many of us here. WOW you shut ppl off.............Just let us discuss things as a forum should be. Your n ot captain VanHalen.

Comment

Originally posted by LuredMaul View Post
        You come off as a prick Zenmindbeginner, I 've seen your posts over several forums......you know somethimg.....ok.. so do too do many of us here. WOW you shut ppl off.............Just let us discuss things as a forum should be. Your n ot captain VanHalen.
        Here's the deal. You need to control what you post... calling me names is childish and immature.

Second, I don't particularly like punters and wankers who come on here and pontificate on the finer aspects of endless magnet swaps, have seemingly had the time and money to try and catalog every single Duncan pickup on the planet, act like they own this forum and generally have testy and bad attitudes towards newcomers.

And by punter and wanker, I mean those who cannot play. They wanna come on here and act like the intellectual elite when they have NOTHING to back it up besides their "informative" posts on an internet forum.

Giving newcomers a healthy dose of smugness is not in the best interests of this forum. Newcomers are the lifeblood of any organization. Treating newcomers with respect is absolutely imperative to keep fresh blood coming into this forum... without fresh blood, you get gangrene eventually.

You're right, I am certainly NOT captain Van Halen. I'm just a regular guy who happens to love great tone.

And let's get this straight one more time...

I know good tone when I hear it. I am incredibly thankful for an excellent set of ears.

Do you not see how a few of you have walked right up to my cage and shook the hell out of it? I didn't post anything towards you, yet you had to waltz in and hurl an insult to me without ANY provocation.

Do you have something intelligent in reference to EVH's tone and how you're not fascinated by it? Or just more insults?

I mean, I don't speak for Eddie's tone, I stand up for it because I truly believe that it is one of the best tones any guitarist has ever created.

And the tone is in his hands, so my original point of how he plays the guitar having everything to do with his tone still stands and has NOT been refuted even though a few have put up feeble attempts to do so.

Save the personal insults, it's in bad taste.
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Hey zen, just listened to your Beat It solo and Panama video. Bravo, man!

Maybe it's somewhere in this thread but may I ask what gear you used? I see the PODX3 in the tags. Did you really get that tone from that? Thanks for any info.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
            Hey zen, just listened to your Beat It solo and Panama video. Bravo, man!

Maybe it's somewhere in this thread but may I ask what gear you used? I see the PODX3 in the tags. Did you really get that tone from that? Thanks for any info.
            Thank you very much kind sir... extremely nice of you to check it out Living Dead!

Yes, it was just guitar straight into the PODX3 Live and SPDIF digital out.

The Beat It Solo was sort of drenched in reverb due to a late minute decision to add some after the effect in post... just a simple plate reverb, nothing fancy.

Getting the right plate reverb was sort of hard and I had to do it in two separate stages (one in the PODX3 and one in post).

Panama was double tracked with a clean guitar that was detuned in order to get the right sort of Eventide feel for his 1984 era sound. In the future, I'll probably use the duo-tone feature and be able to have that clean/dirty sound without double tracking.

My problem is that it takes me months of constant practice to nail an EVH tune and I'm sort of working my way up to his harder to play stuff over time.

This is still a work in progress and I really appreciate you taking notice of my efforts.

I took 1998-2008 off from playing guitar and have only been back at it for a few years now... I lost a lot of time during those years and am sort of going through a mid life crisis and learning all of the stuff that stumped me in the 80's.

FWIW, my original music has absolutely nothing to do with my EVH tone chasing, I do it to solely to satisfy my inner teenager.

Oh and I forgot to say that I used the same patch from my "Best High Gain Modeled Marshall" video... the settings are displayed in all of their glory in that video. I basically have one patch that I use for everything and just change guitars for different tones.

Comment

Ah very cool, man! I'm shocked those tones came out of a POD! I mean they do have good sounds but wow. Guess it goes to show what you can do when you've got a good ear and some patience!

It's awesome you've come back to the guitar, though. I'd say you're definitely making the most of it! But yeah, I'll definitely check out that modeled Marshall video when I get home later. Thanks for all the info!

Comment

I'm 39, EVH is in my DNA, I just can help it....

Hey just today I recorded a couple VH clips using the 5150 III 50 watt I got a couple weeks ago....

Comment

Working...
                X