Finally tried the Fender Excelsior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally tried the Fender Excelsior

After first hearing about the new Chinese made Fender Excelsior, and seeing how cool it looked, I couldn't wait to try one out. Especially, because it's a boutiquey tube amp that looks vintage at the $300 price point.

At first, you can see that it's got no EQ knob, just a tremolo and volume.
    The Bright/Dark switch and 3 inputs of varying impedence is your EQ control, and that's how you've got to approach the amp. It's tone is tubey and breaks up like you'd expect early breakup on a Deluxe Reverb. This amp has no reverb however, which is a bit of a bummer, but simple circuit amps like these deliver better tone when there's literally nothing in the signal path.

Speaking of signal path, which is pure, I was happy to see that the trem knob has a sturdy click 'off' that leads me to believe it's out of the circuit when off. One big negative is that I didn't see a footswitch jack for the tremolo. The tremolo is really great on the Excelsior. That's it's big feature. The other big feature is the Guitar/Mic/Accordion inputs. Make no mistake, they're all for the guitar, with varying input levels and tones.
    This feature allows you 3 different gain structures, going from highest to lowest, which is nice when you balance the volume knob against each of them for the desired breakup. And, breakup is what this amp is for....vintagey 6V6 grit.....on the edge breakup. And yes, it cleans up nicely from the amp or guitar.

Overall, it's got good tone, although a tiny bit raspy compared to much more expensive amps like Carr, Bad Cat, and Matchless. And this is one reason I really may buy this amp. First of all, GC has 15% off on anything $300 and over. Second, I KNOW that this is going to be a modder's big priority, such as the Epiphone and Blues Jr. upgrades were.
    That means that Mercury Magnetics, and dozens of guys on the net will soon have circuit upgrades to make the amp perform as good as possible.

My opinion is that a few mods will make this an amazing platform for tweaking, just because it already sounds good and looks way cool.

One look into the back of the amp reveals old world coolness, with a few circuits separated....possibly for noise reduction. If so, it works, because the noise floor is very low. They did the right thing by creating a very simple amp with tube sections and transformers all pulled far apart from each other within the enclosure. And it's got a 15 inch speaker that keeps it from ever sounding thin.

The mods I'd really like to see are component changes to dial the Bright/Dark switch exactly to my liking. Right now, it's a little too bright and too dark. I'd pull them closer in contrast to each other.

The Guitar/Mic/Accordion inputs could possibly be tailored better to my personal liking as well. I can't wait to see if those mods are simple to do.

The tremolo sounds great, but I'd want to install a footswitch jack on it. I don't know why they didn't at least give us that, considering it's main feature is tremolo.

And finally, I don't know what tubes it came with but I'd be inclined to do a lot of tube swapping with the amp until it's hit it's tonal peak.

Overall, I hate to say it but I've been very impressed with Fender's Chinese guitars and amps. It'll will either be good for Fender, or threaten their MIM and MIA lines, just because the Chinese stuff is made so well with cool lines such as the Modern Player and the Excelsior. In the current economy, this price point is very attractive.

Instant classic. They're going to sell these by the boatload, literally.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 02-28-2014, 11:46 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Finally tried the Fender Excellsior

Great review!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Re: Finally tried the Fender Excellsior

I can't wait to get one of these in my herd. A lot of people were really dismissive of them when the first demos came out, but I really don't care. I think it's going to be a really cool little amp and is only serving to get better with all the mods that are going to come about from it. Not only that, but it just got a certain eye catching appeal to it.
      Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Re: Finally tried the Fender Excelsior

Yeah, the brown knobs and amber jewel on the matte aluminum chassis is a nice look. And the flexible metal hose on the back looks cool too.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 06-28-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I wish I played 50's rock and roll only to justify buying one of those.

So cool!
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Hmmm, intrigued.

Comment

cool review.

As silly as it seems, I love those kind of metal on/off switch labels.

it's got a great look. I don't need it in the least, but the built-in tremolo is a feature that makes me want it all the same.

love the idea of running some weird old mic through it too.
              Last edited by DankStar; 06-28-2012, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I'm actually ordering one of these for my workshop and once we get our youtube channel up this will likely be the amp we demo our custom guitars through.

I was planning to do some mods to the amp at the minimum speaker swap and tube swap.

The one I played actually was pretty impressive in stock form so I'm not sure aside from the tubes/speaker if I'd really wanna switch anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by indie folk guy View Post
                  I'm actually ordering one of these for my workshop and once we get our youtube channel up this will likely be the amp we demo our custom guitars through.

I was planning to do some mods to the amp at the minimum speaker swap and tube swap.

The one I played actually was pretty impressive in stock form so I'm not sure aside from the tubes/speaker if I'd really wanna switch anything else.
                  I don't know if I'd swap the speaker or not. Tubes and a handful of caps and resistors is one thing and are relatively cheap. Swapping speakers really drives up the price and that's one of the major appeals to this amp. If nothing else, I can run it straight up to one of the cabs I already have.

Comment

Nothing Fender has done lately or will do for a long time can top the Machete.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                      Nothing Fender has done lately or will do for a long time can top the Machete.
                      I don't think that was there goal. The Machete is a cool piece. No doubt about that. IMO, they were going for a small, fun, no frills amp that was/is better than the champ600. Mission accomplished in my book. If it does well with pedals, even better. I agree with Joe. They are going to sell a ton of these. I wouldn't mind having 2 just to run in stereo, and for the price, that's pretty easily accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                        I don't think that was there goal. The Machete is a cool piece. No doubt about that. IMO, they were going for a small, fun, no frills amp that was/is better than the champ600. Mission accomplished in my book. If it does well with pedals, even better. I agree with Joe. They are going to sell a ton of these. I wouldn't mind having 2 just to run in stereo, and for the price, that's pretty easily accomplished.
                        The price point is great too. I don't have interest in them but at least they're breaking the mold with the new styles.

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                          The price point is great too. I don't have interest in them but at least they're breaking the mold with the new styles.
                          They had to. All of their competition has come out with good tube amp options under $500. The blues jr. and pro junior are cool amps and fit that bill, but they've been around forever. They needed to step up their game to compete in that arena.

Comment

I think of it as one sound I don't currently have.....an early breakup 6V6 amp. If I want something else, I have it with higher headroom clean amps and channel switching high gainers. This is a swampy blues amp - nothing more, nothing less.

Even as it is, it doesn't sound like it's in any great need for mods. But, adding a jack to the tremolo is something I'd look into immediately. The tremolo is excellent, but it doesn't do much good to have to reach down and turn it on/off.

Comment

It's a $300 amp I hardly consider a speaker upgrade, tubes, etc a major investment I'll stick likely have less than $700 invested in the amp upgrading everything one could upgrade.

I think an Eminence Big Ben or Weber could really be fun in this guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X