Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joyo pedals.

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
    If they are then Brian Scherzer and the rest of the shadies that run The Fraud Page will need a new kickback source. Maybe yet another amp maker who takes deposits and never delivers, and anyone who posts on The Fraud Page about it gets immediately banned.
    What's with all the TGP hate man?
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

^Maybe he got on the wrong end of the stick???

Comment

They're pretty good clones if you're on a budget but if you do have the cash why not support the original builders
        i saw this band, and thought they were really great, until i saw what the guy was playing through........

Comment

I was gonna pickup the phaser..as Im a stickler for TB,.and the script tone (used a original for years) But I read too many complaints of DOA pedals.

Prolly gonna just grab a Rochester Orange Box. MIA, TB, LED, 9v adapter, and designed by the guy who designed the original MXR script BITD.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Modded my Ultimate Octave by changing the polarity of C9 and C15 and had a huge improvement in Octave sound. I still think the tone control does too much in the early sweeps and is way too bright above 10 o clock.
            Gondola Kid
            Bandcamp
            Facebook
            JimijaymesGuitarist
            Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
              I was gonna pickup the phaser..as Im a stickler for TB,.and the script tone (used a original for years) But I read too many complaints of DOA pedals.

Prolly gonna just grab a Rochester Orange Box. MIA, TB, LED, 9v adapter, and designed by the guy who designed the original MXR script BITD.
              Where did you see the DOA complaints Jeff? I haven't seen any...

I was playing my Joyo phaser last night and it nails the classic 70s phase tones I love - Wagner & Hunter, Johnny Winter, Scott Gorham, Jimmy Page, Stones...

That Rochester Orange Box looks great but in the UK it's five times the price of the Joyo. If I stomp on the Joyo one day and smash it to bits the Orange Box is on my list!

Comment

Simon, I did a google search and found various threads on several guitar forums. One was a strat forum, another on a John Petrucci fan site, and a few others sites I don't recall. It was in regards to various DOA Joyo peds, not just the Phase.

Here in the states the orange box is only a few bucks more than the MXR 74 reissue. Roughly 3 times the cost of the Joyo.

Good to hear the Joyo is good to hear you and I are on the same phase wavelength tonally.
                Last edited by JeffB; 07-13-2012, 05:35 AM.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by o.p-i.v View Post
                  They're pretty good clones if you're on a budget but if you do have the cash why not support the original builders
                  Agreed. Not all of the pedals are that great either. The octavia pedal does not not sound very good to my ears. The vintage phaser sounds kind of thin and metallic to me. The ultimate over drive is decent enough though for $40 but the OCD it is replicating would as well. I like cheap stuff as well but I don't want support a company ripping off other peoples work. Love or hate Fulltone in this case but they did the work and made the investment to create the market for the OCD. They should reap the benefits of it

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post

I have been looking into the Orange box. It sounds perfect on paper. the couple of sound samples I have found were poorly recorded and didn't sound very good as a result. It will be in a true bypass loop on my board anyway so that's not necessarily a must have but I would prefer it as you never know what the next incarnation will look like

Comment

Well, hopefully the booteek tone police will be here soon to set us straight!

All of this "based on how it sounds" stuff is BS. If it isn't custom and expensive it is no good.

I realize my "if it sounds good it is good" attitude is just insane. That's just me.

I was playing a Boss HM-2 and DD-3 through my Pro Jr. the other day, and I actually thought it sounded good. Can you believe that?
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I agree ace, for example my new favourite drive pedal is my DS-1, granted I did mod it but now it goes from cleanish to rocking marshall and sounds pretty nice. I believe all pedals have potential to be useful even if it takes modding or the right scenario (either equipment or sound your going for). Tone is relative for example DIed guitars sound awful right withouth any amp sims or anything... well you but I reckon the beginning of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream fits perfectly. No it isn't an example of "good" tone its an example of something that fits the song. I am kinda getting off topic, but to sum it up I generally give cheap gear a chance plus if it isn't for you $40-$60 is no loss you probably would have spent it on beer or fast food.
                        Gondola Kid
                        Bandcamp
                        Facebook
                        JimijaymesGuitarist
                        Youtube

Comment

And that's sorta the point of my thread. I'm not a big fan of touting Chinese knockoff gear. I really want to resent them for making good stuff for $50 but I also have a realistic lifestyle. I can't always buy Gibson, Bogner, Fulltone......sure I'd love to though.

The point here is that I love cool new gear, and I prefer to talk up good name brands.
                          Normally, that's how I think. I'm not a fan of Chinese copy cat gear. But, I'm also keen to the idea that good deals are out there, and finding them is part of the game.

Putting your ear to the ground for killer deals is how classics are found. Someday, a few guys on the internet will bring up the fact that 4 Joyo pedals were killer deals.
                          Threads like this may bring those few to the table.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I bought the Vintage Phaser at the end of last year to replace the EVH Phase 90 that got fried. Although the knob has a weird taper I'll keep it on my pedalboard. After paying roughly $200NZD for the MXR only to have it blow up made me reluctant to spend a lot to replace it. I might regret it later, who knows?

My fiancee bought me their Ultimate Octave last christmas. I've read about rotating the polarity of the two caps to improve the octave function but it does what I need it to. I'm not a fuzz kind of guy but it is fun and that's worth whatever was paid for it IMO. The normal/mid cut switch can be touchy, just like the tone knob sweep isn't smooth but I just set it by ear then leave it. No big deal.

I'd like to pick up their Crunch Box copy as well. I think the kids at school would find it fun to fart around. Wish they had cheap stompboxes like this when I started...

Comment

Apparently these guys are making amps now, too.
                              Go Packers!

Comment

Here is a demo I did of the Vintage Overdrive :

Comment

Working...
                                X