No announcement yet.

Rack Unit Dedicated To Gain/Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack Unit Dedicated To Gain/Distortion?

Is there such a thing? A rack unit that would let you alter how much and how your gain/distortion sounded like a fuzz pedal for your guitar?
    Guitarded

Re: Rack Unit Dedicated To Gain/Distortion?

There are plenty of solid-state and tube preamps out there. Also many rack mount modelers that emulate existing pedal types.

Comment

Well I mean a rack unit dedicated to just gain/distortion. I'd be putting and EQ after it.
      Guitarded

Comment

Peavey, Marshall, Mesa, ART, Rocktron, Soldano and Randall all make preamps.

Comment

Right, I've already found what EQ I'm going to use I just want to have a rack unit dedicated to gain/distortion/fuzz....
          Guitarded

Comment

If you have a pedal(s) you like you can always mount them in your rack and control them via midi. I'm not aware of any stand alone gain only units. Most of them seem to be preamps with gain/eq combined.

Comment

If you get a marshall jmp-1, ADA or any other preamp and its midi controlled you can just use it for gain/fuzz and you can link it to your fave rack eq via midi and use them in combination.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

^This

The ADA MP1 and Marshall JMP1 are preamp + eq. As far as I know, no one makes distortion-only rack gear with no eq.
                Originally posted by Brown Note
                I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                My Blog

Comment

Paia rack mount Quadrafuzz?

Ganiac 1 and/or 2? (don't know of anyone that's ever used one to success)

Couldn't you bypass the eq on any rocktron or digitech (or any digital/modeling) rack mounted preamp?

Couldn't you flatline the eq on any other rack mounted preamp with an OD/distortion channel?

Who is Jerry anyway? Why does he eat so many nachos?
                  Last edited by DankStar; 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Rocktron Piranha

Scholz used to make one too - A Rckman module.

But yeah, just use a Preamp.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                      ^This

The ADA MP1 and Marshall JMP1 are preamp + eq. As far as I know, no one makes distortion-only rack gear with no eq.
                      Yeah - just set EQ to max or flat, as appropriate.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have a mint ADA MP-1 I was trying to do something different. I like the MP-1 but the cleans are a little "Eh" for me.
                        Guitarded

Comment

If you like old school Rat check ebay for an R2DU. Two Rats in a single space rack unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
                            I have a mint ADA MP-1 I was trying to do something different. I like the MP-1 but the cleans are a little "Eh" for me.
                            That's why you use external EQ.

Also, play around with the knobs on the front, as well as the internal EQ. I know there are "recommended" settings for the unit for certain tones, but frankly, I never did like the cleans on it until I ignored what was recommended and tinkered with it.

I still need external EQ with mine to get the cleans I want, but by itself, it can get decent tones. It just depends on what compromises you're willing to make elsewhere.

Another thing you can do is replace one or both of the 12AX7s with 12AT7s or 12AY7s. These reduce the gain slightly, but should get you better cleans, and give you more of a fuzz tone on the distortion patches.
                            Originally posted by Brown Note
                            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                            My Blog

Comment

All I use with my ADA MP-1's (I own three) is use a BBE Sonic Maximizer because using a graphic EQ with it completely changed the character of the ADA for the worse. The BBE and the ADA sound like they were meant to play together as it doesn't alter the natural tone of the ADA

Comment

Working...
                              X