No announcement yet.

ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

just picked up my triple x after what could be called a tune up,under warranty...THEY...decided i needed all new tubes for some reason......and put in ruby tubes.....for 163 bucks...cause thats not covered under warranty...so i was just curious about the tubes.....it was sent to a company called hendrix sound in kissimmee florida,through either peavey or G.C..
    Last edited by ravendouglas; 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM.
    play louder than the other guy.....

Re: ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

they used the following tubes........ruby/JJ AX7ACZ PREAMP TUBES AND RUBY6L6GC-MSTR OUTPUT MATCHED DUET...CLEANED ALL THE JACKS SWITCHES AND SOCKETS WITH DEOXIT,SET THE BIAS....they did a play test and burn in as well.
    Last edited by ravendouglas; 09-04-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

just like most companies ruby doesnt make tubes they just test and match them. ive used some ruby tubes in the past and havent had any complaints

Comment

they dont make them?..it says ruby right on the tubes....so somebody makes them and puts their name on them?.....any idea of the tubes origins?...its not like i have a tube prefrence...i just never seen a ruby tube.

Comment

Originally posted by ravendouglas View Post
          they used the following tubes........ruby/JJ AX7ACZ PREAMP TUBES AND RUBY6L6GC-MSTR OUTPUT MATCHED DUET...CLEANED ALL THE JACKS SWITCHES AND SOCKETS WITH DEOXIT,SET THE BIAS....they did a play test and burn in as well.
          from Doug's Tubes (my preferred tube seller)
          Ruby 12ax7acz: Highest gain 12AX7, great for metal and hard rock. Selected high grade JJ ECC83. The Ruby 12AX7ACZ High Grade is a re-labeled JJ ECC83. It's the highest gain of all the 12AX7's, loved by classic rock and heavy metal guitarists. Plenty of chunk and on the dark side. Also the same grade as our JJ ECC83.
          http://http://www.dougstubes.com/pre...igh-grade.html

Ruby 6l6gc-mstr: Very detailed and musical, packs a wall of punch. The Ruby 6L6GC-MSTR is from the Shuguang factory. It's thicker glass envelope and sturdy construction is designed to work in the most demanding applications. It it packed with lots of punch and a sweet tone, very musical. Philips STR copy. This Ruby tube is a re-labeled Sino, Chinese and Shuguang - it's all the same.
          http://http://www.dougstubes.com/pow...l6-gcmstr.html
          There are customer reviews at the link site.
          Ruby is a relabeler (like groove tubes was). They test the inventory, cherry pick them, and relabel them. You could do much worse for new production tubes.
          Great trades/transactions with checo, kjrocks (2x), ginoames (2x), guitarkid (2x), Ed Hunter, primo (2x), apar111, blueman335, King IzzO))), ArtieToo, lemonman, saladin, SAVAGE DISTORTION, surface54, and DonP. Excellent forum bros!

Comment

I bought a Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+, and it's one of the best current production tubes available, as far as I can tell. It's a high-gain, relabeled Chinese tube, and it just sounds gigantic. It's not as bright or clear as a Tung-Sol, but it's got a ton of midrange punch and bass presence. I was surprised how much difference a preamp tube could make in bass response.

As far as power tubes go, I have Ruby EL84's in my Jet City head, and they seem pretty clear and well-balanced. They are relabeled JJs. So as far as my experience goes with Ruby tubes, they're good.

Comment

I'd be pissed that some tech decided I need new pre amp tubes, and also decided what kind. You were not asked to approve this? You may have had power tubes that were on the outs but pre amp tubes just get changed? That aside, how does it sound. I would never go to that tech again unless it sounds great, better than when you brought it in. Even so I would still want to discuss the work before it's done. Unless you told them, "just do whatever you think is best".... Which I have learned the hard way not to do. It's too bad but a lot of techs suck and return amps in worse shape than they went in.

I remember on the Marshall forum some dude sent his head into the factory for a "tune-up" and he got it back with all his NOS glass pulled and some new CP JJ's or whatever in the amp.

IMO you should only get your amp serviced if it doesn't sound right, or if you have vintage gear that needs a cap job, or some such thing.
              Last edited by nedcronin; 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nedcronin View Post
                I'd be pissed that some tech decided I need new pre amp tubes, and also decided what kind. You were not asked to approve this? You may have had power tubes that were on the outs but pre amp tubes just get changed? That aside, how does it sound. I would never go to that tech again unless it sounds great, better than when you brought it in. Even so I would still want to discuss the work before it's done. Unless you told them, "just do whatever you think is best".... Which I have learned the hard way not to do. It's too bad but a lot of techs suck and return amps in worse shape than they went in.

I remember on the Marshall forum some dude sent his head into the factory for a "tune-up" and he got it back with all his NOS glass pulled and some new CP JJ's or whatever in the amp.

IMO you should only get your amp serviced if it doesn't sound right, or if you have vintage gear that needs a cab job, or some such thing.
                well my original complaint was signal going in and out,and a strange wha wha noise...when no effects are plugged in....no i didnt get asked about the tubes
                thanks to all posting about this..cool and detailed info.

Comment

well i was kinda irritated cause i can put tubes in myself,but its done now.....but all new tubes and a tune up for 163 bucks...i can live with it....but i might have in my frustration with the amp said just fix it......so it has all new tires.lol
                  Last edited by ravendouglas; 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I don't know, but I feel like singing some Kenny Rogers all of a sudden.

Comment

lmao...whazz up jolly..did you see that guitar i sent ya with the fins and tail lights?

Comment

lmao...whazz up jolly..did you see that guitar i sent ya with the fins and tail lights?
                        I meant to tell you that pic didn't come through. It was just a red x or a big white box or something. Send me another pic of it please.

Comment

just resent it jolly

Comment

Holy crap!! That's freakin awesome. I laughed like hell just now when I saw it. That looks like something Orange County Choppers would make for Billy Gibbons.

Comment

it is badddddd ass..and the forum has no clue what we are talking about jolly.

Comment

Working...
                              X