No announcement yet.

ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ruby tubes...are they ok are they crap?

You should have got your old tubes back. Throw them into a tube tester and see for yourself. If they test as acceptable, take that sucker back!

Ruby is a cherry picking/matching service, not a manufacturer.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Well if it's fixed, I guess that's what matters.

Comment

Isn't Ruby the tubes Peavey use in most of there amps new? I looked at several different new Peavey amps when I bought a Valveking 212 a few years ago and IIRC most of them came with Ruby's. The Peavey approved repair shop in Des Moines that I took my Valveking to "all the time" always wanted money up front even when it was warranty work in case it needed tubes. Never needed them thankfully. I always got my money refunded when I picked up my amp. I got tired of visiting them to often and traded it for a Carvin SX300 head. Which made a great back up amp. New tubes and a tune up for $163 seems like a good deal. I personally would've asked for my old tubes though as they are yours. BTW the XXX is an awesome sounding amp, very nice.
        Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Well, FWIW, I really liked the JJ preamp tubes in my XXX. It may be the only amp that I honestly would use a full compliment of JJs in the preamp. The Ruby 6L6MSTR has been my go-to 6L6 for many years now. I just really like the tone, punch and clarity from them. They seem to sound more "3d" than most 6L6s Ive tried.

Regardless, I'd be pissed if they replaced all the tubes without authorization from you. If you got them from Doug's or another good vendor and did it yourself, it would probably cost half as much.

LP Custom
          Greenbacks
          Boss SD-1

Comment

I never got the old tubes back. Some time back some body suggested that the drum machine beats going though my cab from my drum machine,might not be healthy for my tubes because of vibration going from the cab into the amp .
            play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

Originally posted by nedcronin View Post
              Well if it's fixed, I guess that's what matters.
              and it is..

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                Holy crap!! That's freakin awesome. I laughed like hell just now when I saw it. That looks like something Orange County Choppers would make for Billy Gibbons.
                i sent jolly a pic of a guitar that started life as a les paul and now looks like the tail fin of a 57 chevy complete with tail lights..its just sick.

Comment

Originally posted by ravendouglas View Post
                  i sent jolly a pic of a guitar that started life as a les paul and now looks like the tail fin of a 57 chevy complete with tail lights..its just sick.
                  I bet it has one hell of a case.

Comment

maybe it just snaps back on the car.

Comment

this thing has to weigh a ton.

Comment

They are horrible,you have been ripped off! Go NOS Sylvania JAN, very expensive but will last 25 years on average

Comment

Yeah if somebody took my old Mullards and Siemens out of my Marshalls and put crap like ruby Tubes in I'd sue his ass.
                          Ruby tubes are not burnt in properly,sound like **** (no sweet harmonics compared to good NOS),but the practice of conning young guitarists out of good tubes already in their vintage amps is widespread, unfortunately!

Comment

Originally posted by Honky View Post
                            They are horrible,you have been ripped off! Go NOS Sylvania JAN, very expensive but will last 25 years on average
                            You dug up a 2 year old thread from a guy who hasnt logged in just as long to post this?

The sad truth is... You got ripped off too. JAN tubes are the hugest scam on the NOS market. They are militarized versions of tubes designed for radios and radars with no consideration given audio quality. Even then in the pantheon of great 12AX7's the Sylvanias have nothing on the offerings from RCA or GE's, Most of the JAN tubes that your buying are from the 70's or 80's which was long after the hey-day and gold era of the vacuum tube.

Paying 60 to 80 bucks for a 1970's JAN offering is right up PT Barnum's alley. Most guys around here cannot afford 180 to 400 bucks just to swap the preamp tubes in their amps let alone the 600 to 2000 that REAL nos glass would cost you. Further many modern amps are designed around the sonic qualities of modern tubes you're high if you think there is going to be some huge benefit to a Peavey XXX using NOS glass.

I have no particular love for modern tubes but what I hate even more are people who drink the coolaid from tube dealers and run around preaching JAN tubes. You know when I started buy tubes in the 90's the nos tube dealers wouldnt even sell JAN for guitar amps because they said it was a inferior tube? If you had a radio or something sure but not an amp. The only reason they started to sell them is that they are running out of real nos tubes to sell. With the prices of NOS glass going nuts you can blame them for trying to widen their stock a bit.

Your just so off base I could punch a nuns kitten.
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Tubes these days are still pretty good. I compared a duet of Svetlana EL34 tubes against my RFT (Siemens) and they're pretty close. Doesn't have those big fat low mids of the RFT, but the high end is just as sweet and the bass is still big.
                              Think I'll try some Mullard reissues or JJs next.

Comment

Does the SD Forum have some type of a ....."Ridiculous Post Of The Year Award .....??
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

Working...
                                X