And here´s a live clip where I play a Godin Artisan ST-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And here´s a live clip where I play a Godin Artisan ST-1

...through a Fender Blues Deville. I use the neck pickup all the time; a Dimarzio Area 61. It´s from a recent freejazz festival in Sweden, and I play with the drummer Peeter Uuskyla. I´m quite happy with the sound; classical spanky Strat/Bassman, and it´s VERY intense at the end.

Re: And here´s a live clip where I play a Godin Artisan ST-1

dude, i don't mean to be rude, disrespectful or offensive, but I thought that was crap.

There's no melody or structure holding the performance together. You're playing/improvising whatever you want to, and the drummer seems to have a hard time following what it is you're trying to do. He's just completely separate, doing his own thing, hoping for the best that it'll somehow miraculously come together, but it never does. The lack of a bassist, keyboardist, 2nd guitarist or any other melodic instrument meant that absolutely no musical context was provided for your soloing.

There was absolutely nothing cohesive or musical about that. I love jazz, and free jazz/fusiony stuff, but that sounded like a couple of amateurs warming up without listening to each other. Maybe next time you could play with a few more musicians.

Tone was pretty decent though

Comment

The drummer has been playing and recorded with Cecil Taylor and Peter Brötzmann - two of the most important in freejazz. Probably he knows what he's doing. The cry for structure and melody is often heard from people in rock, blues and jazzfusion but is not what freejazz is about. Freejazz is free and mostly doesn't care about melody and structure. In the clip above it is more about giving an intense feeling of total anarchy. I say that we succeed quite well with that. Listen to youtube-clips by Brötzmann and Globe Unity Orchestra and you will find that we are following the same path.

Edit: I listened to your clips and it´s good death metal, IMHO. Probably most people around should say they sound awful, though, since it´s not the classic rock they´re used to.
      Last edited by adrian; 09-15-2012, 12:51 PM.

Comment

little harsh critique... jazz has a million branches and some of them are far out, this is pretty far out. I hear it as more of painting an image, than strictly as a piece of music. it's just different and a branch most people dont listen to. I definitely didnt think it was anywhere near terrible, but know it is not my cup of tea and some of my stuff is not this guys cup of tea, but I still have an appreciation for it and dig exploring it.
        Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
        Ibanez RG1570 Custom
        PRS McCarty STD
        '71 Gibson SG Custom
        Bogner Alchemist 2x12
        Vox AD15VT

Comment

That reminded me of one of those "shred" videos of different guitarists.

Comment

Reminded me of some crazy Miles Davis stuff.

Sweet tone.

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
              The drummer has been playing and recorded with Cecil Taylor and Peter Brötzmann - two of the most important in freejazz. Probably he knows what he's doing. The cry for structure and melody is often heard from people in rock, blues and jazzfusion but is not what freejazz is about. Freejazz is free and mostly doesn't care about melody and structure. In the clip above it is more about giving an intense feeling of total anarchy. I say that we succeed quite well with that. Listen to youtube-clips by Brötzmann and Globe Unity Orchestra and you will find that we are following the same path.

Edit: I listened to your clips and it´s good death metal, IMHO. Probably most people around should say they sound awful, though, since it´s not the classic rock they´re used to.
              Fair enough. I hear what you're saying. There are quite a few metal bands that follow the same philosophy and approach to music. Portal to name one that has garnered quite a lot of attention lately.

But I don't like them at all. I just prefer listening to more melodic stuff.

To each their own though. If chaos was what you were aiming for, you certainly hit the mark.

No hard feelings. Cheers!

Comment

The guy's an artist. He's expressing himself. Sounds like Albert Ayler or Pharoah Sanders or someone like that.

Actually, Adrian probably sounds exactly like himself, which is something only a few in this "How do I sound like EVH?" "How do I sound like Ozzy's latest crap?" "How do I sound like anyone but me?" world can probably say about themselves.

Adrian: I liked it. Good work - keep it up!
                Last edited by Gypsyblue; 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

When I see your avatar, Gypsyblue, it reminds me of when I saw Hendrix the first time in April 1967. It was a somewhat chocking experience. Many speak today about Hendrix as being a blues- or rock-oriented guitarist, and that was often obvious...in the first minutes of every tune. Then he often went over to improvised total chaos. No one sounded like that at that time. And it´s not heard at todays rock scene either.
                  However, I´m a freejazz guitarist and play what I like. Sometimes I want a more soft sound, and here´s such a take with my other band Das Mädchen. It´s a tune I wrote called "Czesniki". I play a semi-hollow Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, and use only the stock neck pickup; a 490R.

Comment

And when we´re at it. Here´s a live clip from one of the great in freejazz guitaring. Can be compared to my modest avantgardism. Enjoy:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Reminded me of Coltrane's Interstellar Space with Rashied Ali.

Free Jazz is the height of musical expression IMHO. Spontaneous, telepathic, enigmatic and always fresh and new.

Free Jazz is about an invisible connection to the the soloist and percussionist. The soloist and percussionist are echoing, borrowing, responding, questioning and answering each other constantly with very little repetition and an almost complete absence of rote.

Free Jazz is an extension of what Schoenberg and Stravinsky started. It illustrates the discord, stress, detachment with nature, violence and lack of empathy that is prevalent in modern society. Free Jazz is an effective musical vehicle for exploring the sub-consciousness. It also seeks to exploit the speed in which technology has accelerated the pace of our daily lives. Information comes flying at us extremely fast and our attention spans are hard tasked to interpret and discern the various bits and fragments and their relation to the "big picture" of life. Free Jazz illustrates this new form of information immersion and explores how we react to this new form of modern exposure and cognition.

LOVED it man, your playing was furious and electrifying. Thanks for sharing.
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Thanks. It´s funny that you compare us with Coltrane/Rashid Ali, since my drummer Peeter Uuskyla once has been playing with Rashid Ali (at one concert). He has also been playing with Cecil Taylor, Peter Brötzmann and Barre Phillips, and so on. I´m quite happy to play with him actually.

Comment

here´s such a take with my other band Das Mädchen. It´s a tune I wrote called "Czesniki". I play a semi-hollow Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, and use only the stock neck pickup; a 490R.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxjZFOZjKlQ
                          Ok that, I really like a lot. It has loads of texture and feel. Reminds me quite a lot of some John McLaughlin stuff.

And when we´re at it. Here´s a live clip from one of the great in freejazz guitaring. Can be compared to my modest avantgardism. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGnEkYt_0g
                          And that, I find senseless. Not that I don't enjoy chaotic music. Actually I really dig it when there's a context for that chaos, for example this:

But when there's no context, then it's just senseless chaos, and IMO, sounds very non-musical.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                            And that, I find senseless. Not that I don't enjoy chaotic music. Actually I really dig it when there's a context for that chaos, for example this:

Whaaaaaat is the "context" of that?

Originally posted by ConvoysToNothingness View Post
                            But when there's no context, then it's just senseless chaos, and IMO, sounds very non-musical.
                            Ah HA! What "sounds" musical or non musical is related to one's individual and unique history of music appreciation. It's completely subjective.

But rest assured, what is not subjective is the musical and creative value of well done free jazz (the OPs personal example certainly falls in this category).
                            Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGnEkYt_0g
                              Apparantly my four year old next door neighbor is one of the free jazz greats of the guitar world because he sure does sound an awful lot like that when I let him play one of my guitars. He'll be very excited when I tell him.

Comment

Working...
                              X