X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And here´s a live clip where I play a Godin Artisan ST-1

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
    Whaaaaaat is the "context" of that?
    Well the drums primarily provide context for what the guitars and bass are doing. It lends groove to the riffs, and in doing so, provides context. The guitar parts themselves are far from "normal" in terms of the average musician's approach to melodicism or riff-writing, and is even further away from the standard blues/rock sensibilities of popular music. But the drums manage to pull it all together.

Ah HA! What "sounds" musical or non musical is related to one's individual and unique history of music appreciation. It's completely subjective.

But rest assured, what is not subjective is the musical and creative value of well done free jazz (the OPs personal example certainly falls in this category).
    Agreed, it is a subjective thing, which is why I keep stressing that the OP's personal example and that Bill Bailey clip is not my cup of tea, not by a long shot, and I even explained why. If you "get it" cool. I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      Apparantly my four year old next door neighbor is one of the free jazz greats of the guitar world because he sure does sound an awful lot like that when I let him play one of my guitars. He'll be very excited when I tell him.

Comment

I´m not so happy about Derek Baileys music, to be honest. I use to say that freejazz is a strange art form, since it´s the easiest form to play, but it´s the most difficult art form to do well. And in my humble opinion Bailey often lacked enough technique and that creative focus which sometimes makes music to magic. John Coltrane´s and Rashid Ali´s music at Interstellar Space has already been mentioned by zenmindbeginner. And Coltrane had enough technique, power and talent to make it happen. Maybe it reminds slightly about my first clip in the OP - but I´m of course no Coltrane. But here´s Coltrane, with Rashid Ali at Interstellar Space; Leo:

BTW: Gorguts music is OK in my book.

Comment

I liked the clip of your band, and I think you're a monster player, but I'm with everyone else on this -- it was a bit too far out there for me. Are you a fan of Sao Paulo underground or Ben Monder?
          Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
          Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
          Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
          Marshall 1960a
          Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

I like both. Perhaps Ben Monder is closer to me.

We sometimes play somewhat cooler. Here´s a clip from the end of the same concert as the clip in the OP; Bright Lights, where I play a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion:

Stefan Thorpenberg, guitars - here a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. Peeter Uuskyla, drums.

Comment

Tomorrow whe´re doing a concert with our band Das Mädchen with three horn blowers and a bass player, all pro musicians and great with everything they´re doing. It will be filmed and I will post clips.

Comment

Working...
              X