No announcement yet.

What if fretboard wood doesn't matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What if fretboard wood doesn't matter?

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
    Because I am just trying to lighten the mood. There is no amount of bias that magically turns 5% material displacement into 41% or vice versa.

First I never said that it was 41% of the total material. If you'll re-read you'll see that I stated that it was 41% of the fret positions and I've already stated my position on the 5% thing. In all honesty I'm sure you'll admit that you guys would also argue that thin poly vs. thick poly vs. lacquered bodies (which is measured in microns) sound different as well. So it makes no sense to me to argue that thin vs. thick plastic doesn't make a difference.

Aside from that I think lightening the mood is a very good idea. The bottom line is that due to the nature of this topic the only people who might benefit from it are the occasional newbs who drop by uninitiated and with and open mind. Unfortunately what they usually come across is an out and out "P" contest. Suffice it to say that you and I are past redemption. You believe what you believe and I do the same. For us the best thing is to just state our observations and leave it at that.
    Last edited by BEACHBUM; 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Beachbum, you been watching YT vids of that horrible guy calling everyone dumb mother*******? That's the only other time Ive seen fretboard inlays referenced in regards to tone. It would be very foolish to believe that SOB.

Comment

When this is over, someone should earn the gloss, "Flysh**frompepperologist"

Jesus, guys, when did this place become TGP?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
          Beachbum, you been watching YT vids of that horrible guy calling everyone dumb mother*******? That's the only other time Ive seen fretboard inlays referenced in regards to tone. It would be very foolish to believe that SOB.
          I can recognize that description anywhere. I have not heard more BS about guitars, playing and music in general than Scott Grove has said. He just basically says that everything that someone has said is wrong and he is always right and knows about everything. It's almost funny to watch how wrong can people be.
          Originally posted by Jamie Hyneman
          When in doubt... C4
          "Biologists think they are biochemists,
          Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists,
          Physical Chemists think they are Physicists,
          Physicists think they are Gods,
          And God thinks he is a Mathematician."

"Physicists defer only to mathematicians, mathematicians defer only to God."

Comment

Seriously?!

9 pages of this crap?

The material that the fret is embedded in will alter the sound, that is an irrefutable fact. Now, how much and wither or not that is a bad or good thing is debatable.

Whats on TV?
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I like pie...

Comment

Mmmmmmmm, pie....aghghgh (drool)

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
                  That's the only other time Ive seen fretboard inlays referenced in regards to tone. It would be very foolish to believe that SOB.

Don't know who he is and don't care. Of course it's the first time you've heard it. Why? Because it's a ridiculous assertion that no one with any common sense would make. Who in their right mind would believe that fret board inlays effect tone? But that's my point. Who in there right mind would believe any of this drivel?

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                    Seriously?!

9 pages of this crap?

The material that the fret is embedded in will alter the sound, that is an irrefutable fact. Now, how much and wither or not that is a bad or good thing is debatable.

Whats on TV?
                    You beat me to it. Really? 9 pages?
                    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Originally posted by BEACHBUM View Post
                      Who in their right mind would believe that fret board inlays effect tone? Who in there right mind would believe any of this drivel?
                      Why not? I may not exactly be a beacon of right-mindedness, but I haven't been officially commited. On a Gibson, the Block inlays are pretty much the size of the whole fret. Wouldnt you really rather have genuine organic shell nuancing the subtle overtones than sterile plastic?
                      Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-05-2012, 05:35 PM.
                      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                        Why not? I may not exactly be a beacon of right-mindedness, but I haven't been officially commited. On a Gibson, the Block inlays are pretty much the size of the whole fret. Wouldnt you really rather have genuine organic shell nuancing the subtle overtones than sterile plastic?

To be absolutely honest I have no freaking idea.
                        Last edited by BEACHBUM; 10-05-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

You just did give me a hard time about it. Ah, the intolerance of fanaticism. So he says, if you think this stuff is silly then go away and let us have our fun. Nope, I've got a right to be hear and speak my piece every bit as much as you do.
                          Not to start another back-and-forth, but I wanna clear something up. First, i was not giving you a hard time because you don't hear a difference. I was giving you a hard time because of your statement. Let's be clear on that.

Secondly, I did not say "if you think this stuff is silly then go away and let us have our fun." You were saying that the conversation was circular and inane. When pushing one's opinion as hard as you are, that certainly comes across like you're saying, "this is so ridiculous, why don't you guys just stop!" My point is: then why don't you? You know, lead by example? If it's become so inane, then why continue? We have to stop because you feel this is ridiculous? Like you said, anyone has the right to be here and speak their piece even if they disagree.

If it came across as my saying, "why don't you buzz-off, no one wants to hear what you think," then I apologize. I absolutely will not interfere with anyone posting.

I will say that calling me "an intolerant fanatic" is way out of line. I did not call you names nor did I insult you. I will be direct if i think you're being off-base in your approach, but not an opinion. Insults like these are unfounded and uncalled for.

If you read my posts you'll see that I've stated several times some people can hear it and some can't. If you don't hear a difference then it's one less thing to worry about. But I agree with Frank that once it's heard it can't be ignored.

In all seriousness, this should be a lighter conversation. We're all a little too intense on this one.
                          MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

To be absolutely honest I have no freaking idea.
                            This pretty much sums up everything you've got to say in this thread.
                            Your intransigence is laughable. Thanks for the entertainment.
                            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by ExplorersRock View Post
                              Not to start another back-and-forth, but I wanna clear something up. First, i was not giving you a hard time because you don't hear a difference. I was giving you a hard time because of your statement. Let's be clear on that.

"If it's so inane, then stop caring and stop posting".
                              -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try to remember that you fired the first round. If you don't think posting the above constitutes giving me a hard time then I don't know what to say to you except that the innocent party act is more than a little disingenuous. What difference does it make whether you said it because I don't hear a difference or because of my statement. I have a right to both and you shouldn't have said it in either case.

If you don't want to start another "round of back and forth" then why are you coming to me starting another "round of back and forth". Like I said a few posts back just state your observations about the topic and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                                This pretty much sums up everything you've got to say in this thread.
                                Your intransigence is laughable. Thanks for the entertainment.

Well Na, Na, Na to you to. Why is it that almost the moment someone disagrees with you guys that the whole thread almost immediately falls into chaos and anarchy? So goes another tone wood extravaganza.
                                Last edited by BEACHBUM; 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X