• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fugly Bucker - Come and Get it

OK, I'm in - emailed off to MJ this morning
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
      ordered!

thanks everyone!

Hope I get mine first cause I live in SB
      You live in Seymour's Basement? Kewl!!!
      Originally posted by DreX
      Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
      The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
      There's no substance to anything I have posted.
      Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
      I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

So what's the appeal of this pickup beyond the weird look? IOW, what's the functional advantage of mixing a blade and a parallel axis coil - what makes this pickup different from another pickup with similar winding and magnets? Presumably some different dynamics (less compressed than a traditional slug & screw number?), possibly some more complexity due to the different coils... but what was the reasoning behind the design? I've looked through some of the threads on it and I'm still not sure, other than this is what the votes produced, which seems a bit design-by-committee.

The demo sounds promising, just not sure what to make of it or how it would be best used.

Comment

My original reasoning for the mixing of an A2 blade magnet and a PA coil was to make a humbucker with a great warm single coil tone and have a hot, warm but articulate neck humbucker sound.

SDUGF polls threw out most of my ideas, went with open and crunchy and a bit hotter than vintage for the humbucker mode, and left pretty much everything else up to MJ. Result seems to be a mix of an A2 blade single and a Parallel Axis PAFish neck.

That's the nature of a forum pickup, may not get precisely what you would custom order, but it's still something new and interesting at a terrific price for a CS produced item.

I'm pretty excited about it. A demo is more than we've gotten for any other SDUGF design.

Comment

Originally posted by chase View Post
            what was the reasoning behind the design? I've looked through some of the threads on it and I'm still not sure, other than this is what the votes produced, which seems a bit design-by-committee.
            That was exactly what it was.

Comment

Thanks guys. Not complaining, just trying to get a sense of what this is and how I could use it. The idea of a neck humbucker that splits well makes sense.

It's pretty cool that Duncan is willing to try out crazy experimental pickups for the forum users. I'm not a neck humbucker guy, but I may pick up a bridge version just to have something unusual to play around with.

Comment

I too emailed MJ. (Yesterday, but got not a response... She may be busy, so will be looking forward to getting this form...)

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                  My GAS got the better of me and I went all-out, the order went in for two sets after all.

I will install one in my Swing EZ-10 (superstrat guitar) and the other in two different guitars.

We'll see if they'll stay there though or I'll have to move them around again

2 huh?? LOL
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                    I too emailed MJ. (Yesterday, but got not a response... She may be busy, so will be looking forward to getting this form...)

B
                    I emailed my order to MJ last week (Wednesday, I think) with credit card number, etc., but no formal order form, and she sent me confirmation for my order today. She must be busy.

Warmoth Thinline HH Tele w/ 59/Cust Hybrid & 59/Jazz Hybrid
                    Warmoth Swamp Ash Chambered Tele w/ Crazy 8, Dream 90, & PG/Jazz Hybrid
                    Yamaha FGX 720SC
                    Rogue Classic Spider Resonator
                    Traynor YCV 40,

Comment

I wish I had a guitar to put these in.
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by sstanfield View Post
                        I emailed my order to MJ last week (Wednesday, I think) with credit card number, etc., but no formal order form, and she sent me confirmation for my order today. She must be busy.
                        I got the same thing overnight - all is good.
                        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by sstanfield View Post
                          Cool... Thanks for letting me know.

She must be busy. And that's cool!

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            2 huh?? LOL
                            Yeah, I was thinking of all the extra costs for S&H and then I just thought the hell with it, I've get good vibes from them and went all out, my wallet is gonna regret that but what the hell.

I still haven't received a confirmation from MJ (went with the form) but I feel confident she's still just going through the orders.\

Like barlo said, being busy is GOOD!
                            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Fugly Bucker - specifications and woods

Now that the pickup is almost in production, can anyone come up with the final specifications of it, as well as the woods it will work on better?

One may expect that buyers will be putting these pickups in custom built guitars and the information on the ideal specs would be extremely welcomed.

For example:
                              - if using an H-S-H configuration, what middle pickup would you use?
                              - is this pickup going to be good to use with a super-switch (volume booster)?
                              - is it recommended that the pickup be mounted directly to the body?
                              - better use with a Floyd, stop-tail or string-thru?
                              - maple/rosewood/ebony... which fingerboard?
                              - maple top on the body?

Great initiative, but the documentation should be posted in a clear way someplace.

Thank you!

Comment

Re: Fugly Bucker - specifications and woods

Originally posted by mogwai73 View Post
                                Now that the pickup is almost in production, can anyone come up with the final specifications of it, as well as the woods it will work on better?

One may expect that buyers will be putting these pickups in custom built guitars and the information on the ideal specs would be extremely welcomed.

For example:
                                - if using an H-S-H configuration, what middle pickup would you use?
                                - is this pickup going to be good to use with a super-switch (volume booster)?
                                - is it recommended that the pickup be mounted directly to the body?
                                - better use with a Floyd, stop-tail or string-thru?
                                - maple/rosewood/ebony... which fingerboard?
                                - maple top on the body?

Great initiative, but the documentation should be posted in a clear way someplace.

Thank you!
                                Check out the soundclip:

The pickups were tested in a Ibanez RG (super strat) with a Basswood body, Rosewood fretboard, bolt-on Maple neck, 25.5" scale and locking Floyd Rose style trem.

The problem with your questions is that they are very subjective. Every person's opinion will differ because their guitars, styles and gear needs differ.

If you're interested in the pickups, get them and try them for yourself! You won't be able to buy them again in the future and, if you don't like them, I'm sure they'll be easy to sell on!

Comment

Working...
                                X