The Ultimate Stratocaster Tone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ultimate Stratocaster Tone!

yeah I know...... but I can't exchange a duncan for a fralin. besides when your 16 and can't do everything yourself, like online ordering, you just wanna be sure. Besides learning all I can never hurts. (my dad said he wasn't gonna send back my red velvet when I bought that. This time I wanna be sure)

That's why I've decided that I'm going to get a tapped hot for strat pup, I said in one of my other threads that I just love squirling thumb harmonics, and the mids just sound awsomely expressive in the bridge/dirty audio sample. I hated how dull/dark the cleans were on the ssl3 though, that's why it's going to be tapped when I order it.

gtrheaven.com free shipping on all orders over 100$
    Fender MIA Strat (Blue/Red Velvets)
    JB Player Strat (Norton/PAF Pro w/ 5way superswitch)
    Fender HotRod Deville 212 Cleans baby clean.
    Vox Valvetronix 30w AWESOME!!!!!
    Dunlop Classic Crybaby
    Do you know any geniuses, I wish I knew myself better.

Comment

I just put a Twangbanger in the bridge of my California Series Strat with SSL-1 neck and RWRP middle pickups. It sounds good to me -- nice and fat with better lows than I expected. It is RWRP with the middle pup, so it remains hum-canceling in the B/M position, and that combo still sounds real good -- a bit fatter and more useable overall than the thinner "Bell Bottom Blues" tone of the all SSL-1 B/M combo. This will do quite nicely as a "Nashville Tele" for me, and makes this Strat much more versatile.

Comment

Could we put this in the vault pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssee!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle
          Could we put this in the vault pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssee!!!

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000
          There is no spoone
          - The Matricks

Comment

I've been messing around with my two strats, and it seems I'm back to the soldering iron. My two faves are the Surfers and Fender Fat 50's. To me, the Surfers are more Hendrix, and the Fat 50's are more SRV. Also, I like H-S-S strats sometimes, so I combined the C-5 tremspaced with 2 Surfers. I think I'm leaning back toward mating the humbuckers with Fat 50's NOT Surfers......The Surfers are glassy and clean with a lot of fullness, but are still too vintage sounding to mate with humbuckers.
            Now, it's gonna be a Surfers with Surfer Custom Ant II bridge and my H-S-S strat will be a Custom Shop overwound C-5 trem with 2 Fat 50's.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've been following this thread with great interest. I have three Strats, one MIA Deluxe with Fender Vintage Noiseless and another MIM with Kinman Traditionals which I'm leaving as is.

The third one, however, has become something of a project Strat. It is a beautiful ash bodied CIJ '71RI which is routed S-S-S and is currently outfitted with a set of MIA Delta Tones. I had this guitar up for sale, but I am now reconsidering.

The bridge position for Strats seems to me to be the critical decision, and after reading many pickup related threads I'm thinking of getting a Lindy Fralin SP43 for a beefy P90 bridge tone. Now I also have a SD Nashville 5-2 in the neck of an old Mustang that I don't play much which I could move over to the neck of this Strat.

My question therefore is: would a SD 5-2 (neck) - Fender Delta Tone (mid) - Fralin SP43 (bridge) mongrel mixture work well together (and individually) in an ash Strat?

'65 Fender Mustang: 5-2 (n), Fralin SP-43 (b)
              '98 Fender MIA Deluxe Strat: stock VN's
              '01 Fender MIM Std. Strat: Kinman Traditionals set
              '04 Fender MIA Telecaster: stock neck/Dimarzio Pre B1 bridge
              '06 Fender MIA 57AVRI Strat: stock 57/62's
              '08 Fender MIM '69 Thinline Tele: Fender VN's

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                I've been messing around with my two strats, and it seems I'm back to the soldering iron. My two faves are the Surfers and Fender Fat 50's. To me, the Surfers are more Hendrix, and the Fat 50's are more SRV. Also, I like H-S-S strats sometimes, so I combined the C-5 tremspaced with 2 Surfers. I think I'm leaning back toward mating the humbuckers with Fat 50's NOT Surfers......The Surfers are glassy and clean with a lot of fullness, but are still too vintage sounding to mate with humbuckers.
                Now, it's gonna be a Surfers with Surfer Custom Ant II bridge and my H-S-S strat will be a Custom Shop overwound C-5 trem with 2 Fat 50's.
                Hey jonesy,

Draw me a comparison between the Ant C1 & Ant C2 bridge. I have the full Ant 1 set up in my Jeff Beck Strat & I love 'em. Another thing that came to me today was, The JB Strat came with the Hot Noisless Fender pups (around 10K) right. The Ant C1 (around 10K). I don't recall the pot values when I swapped the pups, guess I just didn't pay attention. Do you know what pots they may have in there? 500k, perhaps? Could that be the reason the Ant 1s
                rock my world? ANT 1s with 500ks..........

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Vault this please?
                  There is no spoone
                  - The Matricks

Comment

The experiments are fascinating. I enjoyed reading the bridge weights and effects of it. Did you try them all in the same guitar?

Very important of course.

While pickups make a difference of course, but the whole guitar's tone is a synergy of it's parts. I had a Fender relic that had Custom shop 54's in it, stock. I put in Fralins and while there was a little difference, it was hardly worth the effort. I could've gotten that same difference by tweaking the amp a little.

More than the brand, I think you should determine what you want in a magnet, wire, output etc... and then any brand should be fine.

I've had strats where I've had every pickup under the sun in them and you can still hear the same fundamental voice. It's just a little brighter, or louder or.....

If you're after vintage Fender sounds I think the Fenders are good.

Comment

Working...
                    X