Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Stratocaster Tone!

Lewguitar

Default Re: The Ultimate Stratocaster Tone!

Part VI:

I love the APS-2/Twangbanger tone. The APS-2 is thicker, chunkier and fuller than the Surfers...smoother and less glassy bright too. But the APS-2 has plenty of highs and also gets a very nice Mark Knopfler tone in the #2 and #4 switch positions.

The Twangbanger does have a little more bite than I prefer, and seems to dominate a little more when it's combined with the middle APS-2. So the #4 tone is very good but not quite the equal of the Surfer's or Fralin's #4 position.

The Antiquity I Texas Hots are also alnico 2, like the APS-2, but to my ears have more complexity, more personality and more of a plucky vowel like tonality.

They're Antiquitys...more complexity, more texture and more personality is what Antiquitys are all about, IMO. That's what you get for the extra money.

The Ant I Texas Hots actually sound alot like SRV's recorded tone on his rockers! Smooth treble and plucky, chewy mids...they're not ice picky or brittle at all. I'm thinking of tunes like Pride and Joy.

They don't get quite the same super clean chime he gets when he's playing Little Wing, Tin Pan Alley, Riviera Paradise, etc. tho. For that tone the Surfers are better: brighter and chimier.

I can see how some players might feel that the Texas Hots or APS-2's yield a more pleasing tone than the glassier sounding Surfers. The warm full tone SRV gets by tuning to E flat and using HUGE strings might be easier to get with a conventionally tuned, strung and set up Strat with the thicker sounding APS-2 or Texas Hots.

The only area the Texas Hots fall a little bit short in is in getting that glassy bright Buddy Guy tone he used in the 60's or that super clean chime used by Mark Knopfler or SRV when they're playing really quiet and clean. The Texas Hots will do that tone beautifully, but the alnico 5 Surfers and Fralins do it just a little better, IMO.

When my buddy AJ comes by, we'll compare his Fender Jimmie Vaughn Strat with the SSL-1's to all the rest. I've always felt that the SSL-1's I installed in his guitar sounded fabulous...almost equal to the Surfers and very similar to the Fralins.

Lew

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by badco33
    Hey Lew, where do you buy the USA reissue bridges? I saw that MF has a 62 strat reissue bridge for $79.99. Is that the same? Is the construction any different than the current Highway-1 or MIM strat bridges or is it just a weight issue?

I have them in stock for the same price. Yep, that Fender '62 RI is the bridge/tremolo I've been installing in all of my MIJ guitars. And it's virtually identical to the three bridge/tremolos I have from the 60's: a '61, '62 and '63.

I don't know how the construction would differ from the MIM Strats, but as I mentioned, the Fender Japan bridges with the full size tremolo block look the same but weigh up to 58 grams less than a real vintage 60's Fender bridge or the '62 RI!

That does make for a difference in tone and I think the heavier '62 RI bridge sounds deeper and produces a bigger, "manlier" tone.

Bonnie Raitt would probably agree!

Great post Lew!!

Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSnMettle
    Great post Lew!!

Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin
    Thanks Darrin, I've been hoping you'd drop by. Anything you'd like to add about the Antiquity Texas Hots? Please do! Lew

Quote Originally Posted by Lewguitar
    Thanks Darrin, I've been hoping you'd drop by. Anything you'd like to add about the Antiquity Texas Hots? Please do! Lew

You've pretty much covered it Lew. I bought 'em on your recommendation last year & I'm extremely pleased with the Texas Hots & Custom bridge set-up. Best single coil pups I've ever played. I don't know though, with all this talk about the Surfers, I might need to get a neck & middle to slap in the Beck Strat & compare for myself. I don't, however, think I'll ever find a better bridge pup than my 9.93k Ant. Custom bridge. What a glorious match with the Hots, great balance & balls. You may be hearing from me very shortly on those Surfers.

Peace,

Darrin

yo lew, why do the reissues weigh more? Material/metal, saddle weight?

Do you own any american 2 pt. tremolos? How do they compare tone wise, and would a saddle change improve tone?

lots of questions, im sure you know most of the answers. What would be a good quality set of saddle replacements on my strat, i know the brass on the high E is a good idea to give it more chime.

What's cool about tone is that your own tone is never good enough for you because you hear it everyday, so we're always out to improve it ourselves with upgrades. So when someone else hears your tone at a gig they're amazed cause they've never heard anything like it. Playing/souping up guitars is so much fun!
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Quencho092
    What's cool about tone is that your own tone is never good enough for you because you hear it everyday, so we're always out to improve it ourselves with upgrades. So when someone else hears your tone at a gig they're amazed cause they've never heard anything like it. Playing/souping up guitars is so much fun!
    I couldn't agree more Quencho, never ending quest. Like you said bro' "so much fun!"

Peace,

Darrin

when i changed the saddles on my strat, it gave it a deeper tone just like adding the weight to the trem did for lews guitars. I used the gotoh saddles that would fit on the vintage reissue trem.

thanks for all the tests lew, i am glad to hear about all the different pickups. i will stick with my texas hots though.

i just need to wire up a tone control on my bridge pickup. time to break open the old strat

Toneologist

Lew,

Although it's on the backburner, I'm still thinking about replacing the SSL-1 bridge pickup in my California Series Strat with something beefier. I like the SSL-1 neck and RWRP middle. Do you know whether there are any phase or polarity issues when mixing the Fralin SP43 with the RWRP SSL-1? I'm leaning towards the SP43 now, but the SD 5/2 custom bridge looks interesting, too.

Thanks for your continuing curiosity and pickup testing -- makes for great reading and is real thought-provoking.

Bob Kelsey

Lewguitar

Kelsey, I really like the SP-43. It's sounds like a Strat size P-90 and blends beautifully with the middle pickup for those chimey tones when the middle and bridge pickups are combined. (Something a mini-humbucker doesn't do nearly as well, IMO.) My buddy AJ uses it with the SSL-1 neck and middle and I use it with Fralin Vintage Hots for the neck and middle. If Duncan made an equivalent to the SP-43, I'd love to recommend it...but SD doesn't make anything quite like the SP-43. It's a great pickup! Lew

Lewguitar

If you're interested in combining Antiquity I and Antiquity II pickups, you do need to know that they are reverse wound/reverse magnetic polarity and reverse wiring (or out of phase) with each other.

In my Strat with the Ant I Texas Hot Custom bridge pickup and the Ant II Surfer neck and middle pickup I had to make some adjustments to make the set work:

1. Reverse the black and white leads for the Ant I bridge pickup: white to ground and black to the switch. Now it's in phase with the Ant II neck and middle pickups.

2. Reverse the positions of the Ant II neck and middle pickups. Put the neck pickup in the middle position, and put the RW/RP middle pickup in the neck position.

Now everything is in phase and you'll have humcancelling when the middle pickup is combined with the pickups in the neck and bridge position.

Lew

Lewguitar

So, how about those Duncan SSL-1's!

Had a chance to compare them to my two favorites (Surfers and Vintage Hots) and the SSL-1's are first rate alnico 5 vintage style pickups. I even had a chance to compare them in the exact same guitar: my '88 MIJ White 57 RI Strat.

I'd say at $150 for a set of three that the SSL-1's are the best value in the whole shoot-out!

The SSL-1's are a little brighter and not quite as smooth as the Vintage Hots but are still very similar: big round tight bottem like the Vintage Hots.

The SSL-1's have the glassier highs and "barky snap" to the mids that are more like the pickups in my '63 and the Ant. II Surfers.

Killer for SRV "Lenny" and "Riviera Paradise" super clean shimmery tones and plenty of bark to the mids for more overdriven rock tones. Similar to the Van Zandt True Vintage set.

Kelsey's right about the SSL-1 bridge pickup: it's very vintage sounding but modern players might like more output and a less glassy lead tone.

My favorite hotter bridge pickups would be the Antiquity I and II Custom Bridge pickups, the JB JR. and the Fralin Steel Pole 43. The SP-43 sounds about 1/2 Strat and 1/2 Gibson P-90.

My buddy AJ uses it with the SSL-1's in his Jimmie Vaughn.

I used the SSL-1's with a Duncan JB JR. in my Strat that now has the full set of Antiquity II Surfers.

I liked using the neck model JB JR. as a bridge pickup in that guitar...the neck model is brighter and I felt it blended better with the SSL-1's.

Anyways, don't overlook the SSL-1...it's comparable to the best boutique Strat pickups, IMO, and it's one of the best sounding vintage replica Strat pickups available...especially for the neck and middle position.

Lew

Lewguitar

Part VII:

So: what's the story on Strat bridge replacement pickups? I compared the Duncan Twangbanger, Antiquity I Custom Bridge and Antiquity II Custom Bridge and the Fralin Steel Pole 43.

Between the Ant I and Ant II Custom bridge pickups I think I prefer the Ant II.
    Gearjonser has said the same thing. The alnico 5 Ant II Custom just has a little more snap to it and I like the tone when combined with the Surfer middle pickup better: it's chimier.

The Ant I Custom Bridge is very nice for soloing though. It compresses more easily and isn't as crisp and edgey as the Ant II. But still, I think I prefer the Ant II.

As for the TWANGBANGER: all I can say is if you're looking for a great Strat bridge replacement pickup that's hotter and stronger than vintage, you really should try one. I really, really like it...probably even more than the Antiquitys. The tone is stronger and thicker than either of the Antiquitys and more focused.

Tone wise, I'd say the TWANGBANGER fits in right between my two favorite Duncan Tele bridge pickups. It's hotter than the Antiquity I Tele and not quite as hot as the Duncan Jerry Donahue.

And compared to the Fralin Vintage Hot with a Bassplate, the TWANGBANGER is stronger, hotter, thicker and much more like a vintage '51 or '52 Tele.

Highly Recommended!

The SP-43 is super excellant too. A little darker than the TWANGBANGER but comparable in terms of output. The SP-43 really does get alot of the tone of a P-90 in a Strat size and really does blend beautifully with the middle pickup for those M & B chimey in-between tones.

Personally, I'd say it's a tie between the SP-43 and the TWANGBANGER.

John has both...maybe he'd be kind enough to comment.

Twangbanger is great pickup...... it has alot of lows in my findings.......the mids BARK like an angry dog....and the highs can (with certain rigs) be quite intense, but they are not brittle and ratty highs...... they are pretty strong and intense, which i like..... but rolling off the volume a bit on the twangbanger makes it get real sweet

i have a couple twangbanger clips here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/voodoohippiemusic.htm
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by flank
    Twangbanger is great pickup...... it has alot of lows in my findings.......the mids BARK like an angry dog....and the highs can (with certain rigs) be quite intense, but they are not brittle and ratty highs...... they are pretty strong and intense, which i like..... but rolling off the volume a bit on the twangbanger makes it get real sweet

i have a couple twangbanger clips here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/voodoohippiemusic.htm
    Flank, I agree 100% with that description. Very well said! The Twangbanger is my favorite Duncan Strat
    bridge replacement pickup for those looking for something considerably stronger than vintage and for the tone of an old '51 Tele (my favorite year!). For just a little stronger than vintage, I like the Antiquity I & II Custom Bridge models. Lew

love that twangbanger!! such a great sounding pup

im really digging the clarity, bark, and push that it has into a cranked fender. very punchy in a live mix with very nice vintagey tone

Lewguitar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy
    love that twangbanger!! such a great sounding pup

im really digging the clarity, bark, and push that it has into a cranked fender. very punchy in a live mix with very nice vintagey tone
    Yep...totally agree. Personally, I prefer the Twangbanger to the mini-humbuckers like the Little 59, JB JR. and HotRails. Just sounds more natural and a little brighter, and being a true single coil, the Twangbanger blends nicely with the middle Strat pickup so it retains that chimey "notched" tone of the #4 switch position. Mini-humbuckers sound great solo but when combined with the middle single coil they don't get quite the same classic tone as a pair of single coils do. Lew

Super Toneologist

would the Twangbanger be a good match for the SSL-1 in the neck and middle?

sure, i think someone has that setup, they should balance fine. not sure about how the 4th position will sound but im guessing itll be nice. i think that set will give you some great tones