Tips on speed picking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on speed picking?

I find it pretty hard to do lately, for some reason. I used to practice a lot more, this is probably my hands saying "we're losing it dude".

I was trying to play "Raining Blood" and could the last section with all the super fast palm muting. Then I was trying to do this metallica riff and couldn't pull that off either.

Re: Tips on speed picking?

Go fast.

Comment

make as small as movment as possible

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
        I used to practice a lot more
        there you have it.
        but also concentrate on relaxation of all the muscles in both hands - speed comes from relaxation and focus, not from wasted energy. Let only the very tip of the pick skim across the string. Also look at the angle your pick is on, so that it can move both up and down equally easily.
        Strings too....this goes against the grain of most metal shredders, but heavier strings are easier to pick faster on than light. I know light strings make the left hand's job easier, but the extra tension of heavy strings means that they flap around less when you pick, so you might want to look at finding a string guage that suits both your left and right hands.
        Practice with the heaviest pick you can find too...you will develop sensetivity and control, so when you use your normal pick, you will feel like superman.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-31-2012, 05:24 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Here you go...

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I always liked this technique:

Great thread!
            Originally posted by DreX
            Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

It's exactly like any thing that uses increment based workout. Find out your maximum speed while maintaining accuracy and go from there. Just sit on the couch in front of the TV. Incrementally increase the speed and in time it will come naturally. I also recommend doing this with downpicking. Personally I practice everything I want to get right standing up considering I don't perform sitting down.
              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

There's plenty of great advice on this thread so I'll just follow up on it with a general post:

Should I try it with a metronome?

I have read many times that fast playing greatly improves if you are relaxed while playing. I wonder if a nice warm up routine will help with that? (duh)

I have used all gauge picks, I used to prefer .60, then 1.14 and now I am back to 60-73.

I will practice with 1.14 standing up to see where that gets me.

any recommendations on how long to do exercises for?

Comment

Yes.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

yep (+1 to beers).

Practice clean too....its very unforgiving but very very good for your right hand.

I have read many times that fast playing greatly improves if you are relaxed while playing. I wonder if a nice warm up routine will help with that? (duh)
                    start slow...there is your warm up. Concentrate on keeping all the parts of your hands and arms loose. Do a lot of arpeggios so you get smooth with skipping/swapping strings when alternating. Forget sweep and economy picking until you are totally solid with alternation and can play all your scales/arps like a piece of well oiled german machinery. After you can comfortably keep a constant stream of 8th notes going at whatever speed and in any key, then start looking at the other stuff.

I have used all gauge picks, I used to prefer .60, then 1.14 and now I am back to 60-73.
                    I will practice with 1.14 standing up to see where that gets me.
                    You can get a lot heavier than 1.14. See if you can find some 2mms. A pointy tip like the ones on Dunlop Jazz III's are good for this too. You will feel awkward and clumsy for a long time and you will probably find that the pick rotates in your fingers, but it will make a huge difference in developing sensitivity and grip relaxation without rotating/dropping the pick. Stick with it for home practice and go back to whichever picks your like the tone of best for band practice and gigs.

any recommendations on how long to do exercises for?
                    The amount of progress you make is directly linked with how much practice you do. That's up to you. But if you do choose something to work on (eg. Phrygian dominant scale) try to practice it in all keys and in all positions of the fretboard.

One last thing....it will take time. Stay focused and disciplined and remember to give yourself a pat on the back for small but measurable improvements each day. Over the course of months and years you will notice big things.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      yep (+1 to beers).

Practice clean too....its very unforgiving but very very good for your right hand.

start slow...there is your warm up. Concentrate on keeping all the parts of your hands and arms loose. Do a lot of arpeggios so you get smooth with skipping/swapping strings when alternating. Forget sweep and economy picking until you are totally solid with alternation and can play all your scales/arps like a piece of well oiled german machinery. After you can comfortably keep a constant stream of 8th notes going at whatever speed and in any key, then start looking at the other stuff.

You can get a lot heavier than 1.14. See if you can find some 2mms. A pointy tip like the ones on Dunlop Jazz III's are good for this too. You will feel awkward and clumsy for a long time and you will probably find that the pick rotates in your fingers, but it will make a huge difference in developing sensitivity and grip relaxation without rotating/dropping the pick. Stick with it for home practice and go back to whichever picks your like the tone of best for band practice and gigs.

The amount of progress you make is directly linked with how much practice you do. That's up to you. But if you do choose something to work on (eg. Phrygian dominant scale) try to practice it in all keys and in all positions of the fretboard.

One last thing....it will take time. Stay focused and disciplined and remember to give yourself a pat on the back for small but measurable improvements each day. Over the course of months and years you will notice big things.
                      thank you for all the advice! I have never been a speed player but I used to be a little more agile than I am these days. A few years back I used to practice some very simple patters with a metronome, it loosened me up in a way.

I am trying to improve all aspects of my playing because I feel like for the past year i've just been coasting: the laziest way to get to the destination. No effort made to get there faster or more efficiently.

Comment

Working...
                      X