Rough Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Draft

Had a couple of riffs pop out today and hit record to keep from loosing them. I think the groove has potential. Looking for ideas on how to expand the third riff (the one with steady chugging).... the D5/E5/D5 stabs aren't really doing it for me.

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: Rough Draft

Version 2. Rough edit.

The 2nd distorted riff needs work and a new drum score. Not getting the level of excitement I'm looking for before switching back to the hollow clean sound. Once I get the drums and bass down I'll re-record and double track the guitar.

Comment

Version 3. I put a little more effort into this one.

The timing on the scratch track went all over the place during the 2nd distorted riff which threw off my timing on the bass track which then carried back over into the guitars I tracked today. I spent about an hour trying to massage the rhythm before I figured that I can't polish that turd so it looks like I'll have to fix those parts tomorrow.

Last edited by some_dude; 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM.

Comment

sounds big V3
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Version 4. I'm going to take a break after this one.

This was my first attempt at working with an actual DAW. I've done some stuff in Garage Band before but the lack of fine control was frustrating. I find Logic is way easier to use but I have a way to go before I have it all figured out yet. I particularly like having the ability to program instruments in MIDI since this is the first time I've been able to create my own drum and bass tracks... although I think it'd be way easier if I could just lay down each track using a real instrument.

You sure do learn a lot about both your own playing and about composition when you record yourself and layer multiple instruments. I've also learned why need a set of proper monitors.

Anyway... points, comments, suggestions... I'm all ears.

Comment

New drum sound.
            Starting to build up the drums so that they're as intense as the guitars.
            New bass sound.

I'm starting to get more comfortable with Logic so things are starting to get easier, however trying to program in something you know by feel (i.e., groove) has been a difficult translation for me. The song has become become a straight up 4/4 where I want something that has a bit more swing in it. I want to DI a real bass tomorrow and see how it compares.

Lastly, I'd like to record a few more guitars tomorrow using different amps to see how they compare.

Comment

That last one sounds great.

Comment

+ Figured out that a compressor can make drums jump out more.
                + Replaced the MIDI bass with a real bass DI. More natural groove with a more natural note decay.
                + Re-recorded the guitars to lock in with the new groove.

- Drum score still kind of sucks.
                - Guitars feel kind of flat and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Comment

I was having a really hard time programming the feel I wanted in the drums when I thought of downloading some midi files that included tracks of Bill Ward's drumming (Black Sabbath) to see where the beats were landing visually and it all fell together.

Tightened up the drums, added a couple fills and started giving the drums some more dynamics.

Still not happy with the guitar tones and I want to create a bit more space around the drums since they currently feel kind of dry... like they're in a small room.

I don't plan on posting any more of these incremental updates. Next one will be when I'm happy with the final product.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

Groovy! Had me bangin' my head a bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X