Pasta, Fender 75 style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasta, Fender 75 style.

Just got a new amp, a 1980 Fender 75 Head. Influenced by a Boogie, but not as refined. Has a crazy eq range, and a lead channel best left alone, but after some tinkering, it is a gutty amp, with a lot of versatility, from nice and cleanish, to really good hard rock tones. Stock, it had breakup but no sustain, very ratty sounding when pushed. So I upped a few cap values ( glad I had a few handy!!) and the amp got some good old ballsy tone. Then I had a 1 meg resistor sitting around, decided to try that with on the bright switch, wired in with the cap. WOW, there came the beautiful sustain, earlier breakup, and perfect bluesy purr with the gain rolled back. Amp has nice reverb, and find the bass and treble pot boosts very usable after the tinkering. The mid boost I don't like at all, but unboosted it sounds great. Amp has some serious versatility, I was not inclined to keep it, figured I would try a couple things, and with 20 mn of tinkering, I think have a keeper.... Has a switch that knocks it down to 15 watts, which is cool, but I don't find the amp too loud in full power... A cool, quirky bit of Fender history, pre Rivera......Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender 75.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	5826170

Click image for larger version

Name:	fend3a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	5826171

The guts are from my amp, post surgery, the bottom is not mine, but I pic I found....
    ]
    FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Re: Pasta, Fender 75 style.

Where are the tubes?!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

In the normal place...lol, the other side of the chassis.
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

did you pic that up off the Minneapolis CL the other day?

Comment

Interesting amp. I'll bet they didn't make a lot of them. I've never seen one in person.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Pasta, Fender 75 style.

I had the combo version for a while. Neat amp, however INCREDIBLY heavy! I found that a retube really helped. I sold it though.
            -
            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Good eye Brian, yes I did. Grabbed it yesterday...

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
              Interesting amp. I'll bet they didn't make a lot of them. I've never seen one in person.
              I am stunned you did not own one at some point, of ALL PEOPLE. I think in stock form it would piss you off like an X100B, tweaked however.....
              ]
              FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

I'm lurking on CL all the time. I was giving that "75" serious consideration, but I had recently bought a sweet old Traynor off CL. There's been a couple of those red knob Fender tube combos up there that seem to have been decent deals, too, but I never bit on 'em.

Nice amp, btw...

Comment

It had been sitting on CL just long enough to tempt me to snatch it, I expected it to go quick. I too am a CL hawk, always looking for the next thing....
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!

Comment

Nice! A fellow bandmate had the 1x15 combo around 1981. I remember thinking that it did a good job.

Comment

Working...
                    X