• Blog: How to Direct Record and Make it Sound Amazing

Click here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Youre-a-Loser-session2-300x112.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	5826279
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Blog: How to Direct Record and Make it Sound Amazing

In the last few months I have went "all in" on recording direct with amplitube. I love the flexibility and I'm learning a lot about mic placement and eq. Mixing is more fun too. I kept all my gear but not played anything else in a while.
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Re: Blog: How to Direct Record and Make it Sound Amazing

While I find direct recording super useful, I'm very excited to try reamping (with a real amp) this year. Sort of the same principal, but I think I'll dig it more.

Comment

I have extreme gas, so any way I can stop it is good... that is the cool thing about modeling, it stops a lot of gas because of so many options.

I cant record with a real amp which is way too loud for my quiet apartment, so I simulate that with my tech 21 character pedals. I have gone with ezmix for reamping.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
          I have extreme gas, so any way I can stop it is good... that is the cool thing about modeling, it stops a lot of gas because of so many options.

I cant record with a real amp which is way too loud for my quiet apartment, so I simulate that with my tech 21 character pedals. I have gone with ezmix for reamping.
          Sure you can.

I'm planning on using this:

plugged into the speaker out on this:

with the cab sim turned off and running the line out into the computer.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

don't discount the ultra-g's cab sim, I think it sounds great!

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
              don't discount the ultra-g's cab sim, I think it sounds great!
              Oh, I will try it for sure.. but I have Recabinet, tons of IRs, and am currently demoing Two-Notes' Torpedo PI-101 WOS:

Even their free version with one cab and one mic sounds awesome.

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

hmm, that ultra G sounds tempting but I digress... I really want to hear sound samples of DI box with a fuzz pedal. or axefxII/kemper with a fuzz pedal that sounds good.

or any amp sim fuzz pedal for that matter that sounds good

Comment

hmm, that ultra G sounds tempting but I digress... I really want to hear sound samples of DI box with a fuzz pedal. or axefxII/kemper with a fuzz pedal that sounds good.

or any amp sim fuzz pedal for that matter that sounds good
                  I had a Kemper and sold it, and I've tried just about every digital box out there. It worked well for what it did, but it didn't fit my workflow. The profiled amps are set up for other people's sounds, and the more you tweak, the more digital it sounds - as it relies on the Kemper's single "tone stack" and not any emulation. It's great if you dial in your tone on your own amp and want to take it with you, but other people's amps are set up for their playing style and pickups and tuning, and you learn that as you go through all the profiles. If you don't have to tweak that much, it's great, but it does fall short.

Twitter:
                  @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I have gone the other way and dumped the modeling gear.

Comment

I have gone with ezmix for reamping.
                      I'm tempted by the new Metal Gods pack but I was disappointed with most of the other preset packs. I wish they'd have it so you could demo a few presets from each pack. (Like with the PI-101 - they give you a free version with a single cab and mic and two power amps to try out, no strings attached.)

Twitter:
                      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

thanks for the heads up brutha, I reamp-tweak a ton, so my Kemper gas is officially and happily dead

Comment

I think fuzz is super awesome organic perfection. My whole tone is based around fuzz, being a proco rat II pedal, orange amp, and Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh pedal. I play downtuned heavy rock and I can do some rock and some br00tz with modelers, but I dont wanna spend a ton of $$ unless I am super happy with the result; I gotta save $ for my next purchase anyway. I tried all the fuzz modeling out there and searched to the end of the internetz, but to no avail; no good clips of fuzz in my opinion from modelers.

here is what I am talking about, a dude used Kemper to mimic a fuzz and I do not like the fuzz tone at least

Smashing Pumpkins guitar covers
                          Cherub Rock (using a very cool Muff profile of Bill Ruppert):
                          Guitar cover over a backing track. (Kemper Profiling Amplifier)

Comment

Working...
                          X