Noob advice - software & practising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob advice - software & practising

Guys, I've always been a tube amp/guitar practise kinda guy, but recently sold up all my amps as my apartment is too small to really get the most out of them and I'm not gigging anymore

I've also been stuck in a rut for a while & practising the same things over and over. I've thought that a good way to break out of it is to start downloading backing tracks and playing/learning new songs. I'd still like to have a good tone, so am open to investigating modelling software or programs that include modelling as well.

Where do you guys advise to start? Is there a program that fits this criteria, that will allow me to tweak and record? I don't need a very expensive setup - its basically home practise.

Thanks
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Noob advice - software & practising

Scuffham S-gear gets a lot of love out there. You could use that along with something like Winamp for playing/looping to rock out virtually. If you want to add recording to the equation, you could use Reaper instead of Winamp.

Personally, I use a modeler connected to my Mac via USB. I use iRehearse to play along with backing tracks and Logic (or occasionally Garageband) to record.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

most say jamming with others is the best, open jam at bars or just with friends or recruit them

but fretlight guitar seems perfect

or other videos/youtube

or just download reaper, toontrack ezdrummer, and some plugins like lepoulin and, start recording demos. that is what I do when I am not in bands, works for me!

cheers brutha, good luck

Comment

band in a box is really flexible and useful tool for a lot of stuff- especially practicing your chops in various styles. You can make your own chord progressions, entire tunes, change keys change tempos, you name it and it will play it back for you as many times as you want with banks and banks of different styles. Its also a really good tool for making charts.
        Band-in-a-Box is so easy to use! Just type in the chords for any song using standard chord symbols (like C, Fm7, or C13b9), choose the style you'd like, and Band-in-a-Box does the rest...
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
        X