handheld recorder advice, zoom, Olympus, tascam, etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handheld recorder advice, zoom, Olympus, tascam, etc

I'm looking at maybe buying one of these little recorders, was wondering if anybody has one and liked it, uses it,.

I am interested in recording live amp and sometimes drums in my garage at loud volumes and have easy capability to put it on my computer.

Thanks for your input.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: handheld recorder advice, zoom, Olympus, tascam, etc

I have several you want audio only or want video also?
    I use mine all the time and have been using these for several years now.
    The Zoom stuff is great bang for the $$ as also are some of the Sonys.
    Right now I am running a Sony SX750 for audio only. That unit has been discontinued so might be hard to find but has been a really nice little recorder.
    Here is a clip with the Sony just sitting on a chair in the front row at a church.

Let me know what you want to use it for and if you want Video ( many are not that much more $$ and can be used for audio only so--)
    I'm right now looking hard at picking up the Zoom QS2 and 3 for video as what I am using right now ( Alesis Video track)is pretty dismal on video quality + the MP4 format it records in is a real PITA to edit.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Don't need video. Just audio.
      I've got such bad brain damage i forget things...if i don't record the idea, its gone.
      My old tascam 4 and 8 tracks aren't very computer friendly so i want some sort of quick "snapshot" if you will that still sounds good enough to mix for demo style if the idea strikes me

Thanks for the input bro!
      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I've got the Zoom H2, quad microphones. Not the best for drums. Great for acoustic stuff...

all of the guitars and vocals are recorded with it on my site.

www.soundcloud.com/marctron

Hope this is helpful. I find it distorts a bit at higher volumes, but it is definitely useful for demos
        Originally posted by kilphody
        There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

My brother sent me one of those zoom H2 ( ithink thats the one) recorders so that I could make vids of my toddler to post online for my family to see. Himself being a guitarist, it was also intended for better clips than I was capable of previously. Doesnt sound as good as a SM57 up on the speaker, but its decent.

You can hear it on my soundcloud as well

Listen to jbash | SoundCloud is an audio platform that lets you listen to what you love and share the sounds you create.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Here's a jam that was totally recorded with the zoom H2 IIRC, did some doctoring but all in all, not that bad.

Originally posted by kilphody
            There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

I have the Zoom H1, indispensible for quick recording demos, songwriting, notes etc. Love it and I think it sounds pretty good. I'll try and do a few shareable clips later.

This was a quick demo of tune I did the other night, just popped it on the table and hit record. It sat between myself and the amp maybe 2' away from each I'm guessing.

Discover and play over 320 million music tracks. Join the world’s largest online community of artists, bands, DJs, and audio creators.

Sorry if the vox are a little rough, been sick as a dog
              Last edited by Wattage; 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I've always liked the look of the Tascam DR-40, as it not only has the built in mics that can be set in X-Y or A-B patterns, but it's also got two XLR connectors that you can run either dynamic or condenser mics to - with the mains power supply (extra) to provide phantom power for the latter. That way you can record 4 tracks simultaneously. GC is knocking them out at $137.68 which is dirt cheap compared to the £179.00 they want for them in the UK.
                Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

The DR=40 is a steal at that price!
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                  X