how different straps change my tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how different straps change my tone.

I've been playing for 10 years and I own top notch expensive equipment. I've got a cocktail of NOS tubes in my custom vintage all tube Fender Tri-ReverbDSP amp therefore my tone is quite unique. I play with occasional/weekend lawyer players and I'm better than all of them. Nobody plays the blues like me. I always get good comments about my tone although the comments only comes from my bandmates because we've never played live.
    But let me talk about something I've discovered lately which has more impact in the tone than wood or pickups. What I've noticed how different straps change my tone. Nylon straps produce a lifeless kinda sterile tone. Too compressed and too flat sounding. Call it active strap sound if you want. Strap made of cotton in the other hand brings all the SRV warm bluesy tone and it clean up so nice when you roll off the volume. But leather strap is another story... it popups all the upper harmonics and my licks sound much more live. Metal riffs sound heavier and you can get screaming harmonics all over the place.
    What I will experiment next is, how the strap length affects the tone. Once I find out that I will make custom straps for all my guitars.
    Last edited by crguti; 07-30-2016, 04:32 PM.

Re: how different straps change my tone.

With leather straps it is important to measure the tonal effects of studding. You can't do teh brootalz without proper studding! And BTW, suede will give you that '70s classic crunch.

For true vintage tone you need to use a camera strap.
    Originally posted by DreX
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
    The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
    There's no substance to anything I have posted.
    Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
    I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

See, I really care about strap related tone . . . but I'm a purist. I play without a strap, just leaning the bottom of my guitar on my 4x12 cab and using my fretting hand to hold the neck up. No strap = completely free tone where it sounds like your fingers are flying off the fretboard. Because they occasionally do.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vegetable View Post
        ........For true vintage tone you need to use a camera strap.
        Almost sig worthy....but I don't have a sig and keep others turned off so.....not really important in the grand scheme of things. What were we talking about?

Comment

I've also found that spikes aligned 3 to a row sound much brighter than 4 to a row.
          Also the longer the strap, the more it effects tone.
          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

so... the strap length works as a buffer? the shorter the strap = more highs?
            Last edited by crguti; 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I call BS.

The type of rug you stand on makes a MUCH larger difference to your tone than the type of strap.

I only use boutique Persian rugs like all the pros.

Comment

I get so tired of strap freaks and their crazy theories. Spend all you want on your slabs of wood and boutique tone suspenders. It all means nothing without a balanced set of brass strap buttons. What good is an expensive strap if you're going to ignore the transference of strap energy to the tone timber? Too much emphasis has always been placed on the "neck joint" while strap coupling has been overlooked.

It goes without saying that savvy players avoid chrome plated buttons due to the inductive losses inherent in the nickel alloys and the resultant tone degradation ... particularly when using the neck pickup on a short scale guitar.
                Last edited by Lazarus1140; 02-26-2013, 09:18 AM.
                I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

how different straps change my tone.

I use acoustic guitar straps.

Yields a tone that's woody. Like Frank Lee's full, firm erection.
                  my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

The act of holding a guitar deadens it anyway, so it's all completely pointless. Most guitars sound at their best by not being picked up by anyone, ever. Many players sound their best when they put the guitar back on the stand. I am probably one of them.
                    Last edited by crusty philtrum; 02-26-2013, 09:37 AM.
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Comment

Me at circa 1983. Imagine how bad @ss my tone was with that wide 70's weave.
                        You people are not worthy!

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                          The act of holding a guitar deadens it anyway, so it's all completely pointless. Most guitars sound at their best by not being picked up by anyone, ever. Many players sound their best when they put the guitar back on the stand. I am probably one of them.
                          LISTEN TO THE SUSTAIN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
                            I get so tired of strap freaks and their crazy theories. Spend all you want on your slabs of wood and boutique tone suspenders. It all means nothing without a balanced set of brass strap buttons. What good is an expensive strap if you're going to ignore the transference of strap energy to the tone timber? Too much emphasis has always been placed on the "neck joint" while strap coupling has been overlooked.

It goes without saying that savvy players avoid chrome plated buttons due to the inductive losses inherent in the nickel alloys and the resultant tone degradation ... particularly when using the neck pickup on a short scale guitar.
                            I got some interesting results by swapping the tail strap button with the one on the horn. It was enough of a difference to make me go out and order two pair of Schaller Antiquities for each of my guitars so I can try out all the different combinations through my own rig and use whatever suits each instrument the best. I even worked out a quick-change system so I can A/B different strap buttons more easily:

Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                            The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                            There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                            Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                            I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Absolutely hilarious!!! All good answers!!! Thanks to all for a great laugh!!

-dave
                              I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

Working...
                              X