No announcement yet.

how different straps change my tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how different straps change my tone.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead View Post
    I put a pink strap-on on one of mine and I don't even use it.

No wonder I sound like ass.
    Fixed for awesomeness!
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Wow... I've never actually visited the vault.
      What a blast from the past seeing some of these names. Some really cool people have come and gone from this forum.

Comment

I use a vintage 70 ies Fender strap for my Les Paul. You guess ... give me a more brilliant tone.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Mr. Miyagi would say, "strap off, strap on" while thoughts of Daniel's mom raced through his shiny bald head.

Comment

i use a bungy cord from the back of the truck
            sometimes its a bit muddy
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I use a Boss strap. It's got it's own COSM thing...

(seriously, it's a good, real leather strap. And you can't see the Boss logo )
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

https://revoguitarstraps.com/pages/our-story.

​​​​​​ when I lived in the mountains of Costa Rica, I used leather horse bridles that you can get at the anywhere at a ferreteria which is a hardware store. These bridles are what they use the mountains and what every Tico normally uses unless they're rich. I would use them because they were super cheap and I could get them them in any town. Just cut a slot in the end.
                Last edited by solspirit; 04-28-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

So, when is Boss gonna release the Waza guitar strap?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    Re: how different straps change my tone.

I use a solid wood strap. The extra 40 lbs. of the strap digging into my shoulders and spine makes extended gigging somewhat difficult and I've been in the hospital more than once after trying to swing my guitar around during high-adrenaline stage antics, but neither leather, cotton, nylon nor stainless steel (which I've also tried) really give me the same warm and lively tone as this solid wood contraption...
                    The spine adds that rare and oh so highly coveted orthopedic sustain.

Comment

Jokes aside, the strap that makes you comfy does indeed help your tone be it's best. I like the Lock-It cottons. Best locking design ever IMO. They go on and off even easier than any regular strap.

Comment

I had one of these for a long time 'Fretsling' and still miss it! The weight of the guitar was distributed perfectly.
                        When that strap finally gave way my left hand fingers would go numb in the middle of every song until at least the middle of the 2nd set.

Comment

I imagine I sound better now, with my quality BOSS Leather strap, since it's way more comfortable, and makes the guitar easier to play. Compared to a cheap nylon strap.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I hate anything other than regular plain looking straps, especially leather ones.

I thought this was a read-only-area.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                              I've been playing for 10 years and I own top notch expensive equipment. I've got a cocktail of NOS tubes in my custom vintage all tube Fender Tri-ReverbDSP amp therefore my tone is quite unique. I play with occasional/weekend lawyer players and I'm better than all of them. Nobody plays the blues like me. I always get good comments about my tone although the comments only comes from my bandmates because we've never played live.
                              But let me talk about something I've discovered lately which has more impact in the tone than wood or pickups. What I've noticed how different straps change my tone. Nylon straps produce a lifeless kinda sterile tone. Too compressed and too flat sounding. Call it active strap sound if you want. Strap made of cotton in the other hand brings all the SRV warm bluesy tone and it clean up so nice when you roll off the volume. But leather strap is another story... it popups all the upper harmonics and my licks sound much more live. Metal riffs sound heavier and you can get screaming harmonics all over the place.
                              What I will experiment next is, how the strap length affects the tone. Once I find out that I will make custom straps for all my guitars.
                              let me guess.... you think you're an expert just because you squeezed a good tone out of an NOS analog transparent overdrive, but you don't even know the difference between true bypass tone woods and vintage germanium nitro finished clean boosts.

What a n00b.
                              __PRESENT
                              Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
                              Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
                              Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
                              Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
                              Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
                              Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
                              Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
                              Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
                              Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
                              PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

Vintage geraniums are where it's at.

Comment

Working...
                                X