Thread: an idea about staggered magnets

Raziel

Default an idea about staggered magnets

Hey, guys
    I've got a modern american standart strat(2010) with 9.5" radius. It has the stock staggered pickups. I get louder sound from G and D string. Im wondering, what if i push down that pole pieces (plastic bobbins as i know) and make all equal and then raise the all b/m/n pickups move up alittle, would it be disproportional. Is it ok?

Why would i want louder tones on G and D strings? I didn't get it?Why? Help me understand it, please... Ive never wondered until now...Thanks for any input

Default Re: an idea about staggered magnets

I think it's to match up with the radius of the string over the finger board.
    Quote Originally Posted by KBliss View Post
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorus View Post
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Default an idea about staggered magnets

It's to get even string response from vintage radius fretboards and a wound G string, which is how most Strats were set up back in the day.

I'd be careful about pushing the polepieces down. Depending on the design of the pickup, you can break the coil windings and kill the pup.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

^^ this, every word of it. The only way around it using V-stagger pickups is with a wound g.

If you want even output from modern light sets with 3 plain strings, you need to switch to unstaggered or "modern staggered" single coils.
    Last edited by Zerberus; 03-01-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

You can also, if the idea doesn't fill you with disgust, use skinnier strings for D, and most importantly G. I've tried it and it does work. Takes a little getting used to, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    It's to get even string response from vintage radius fretboards and a wound G string, which is how most Strats were set up back in the day.

I'd be careful about pushing the polepieces down. Depending on the design of the pickup, you can break the coil windings and kill the pup.
    He said they're the AmStd pickups with the plastic bobbins, so pushing the poles down would work. I'd worry more about cracking the magnet at that point than killing the winding since the coil is protected.

Which is why I said that it depended on the style of the pup and to be careful.

I haveno idea what they're putting in American Standards these days, to be honest. I just don't generally like recommending modding guitars with simple brute force.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam View Post
    Which is why I said that it depended on the style of the pup and to be careful.

I haveno idea what they're putting in American Standards these days, to be honest. I just don't generally like recommending modding guitars with simple brute force.
    Me, neither, and I'm honestly not a fan of what comes stock I an AmStd until last year when they put the CS '50s ('54s???) in them.

Raziel

Thanks guys. I will take a look now and see if it is ok to push a little and another thing what about the frequency response. I if make it, then would it be easy to gauge the tonal and frequency difference and that sort of things?

Funkfingers

Fender uses plastic bobbins (part number 016730) on the American Standard and Tex-Mex single coil pickups. On these, the rod magnets sit within fully enclosed tubes, completely physically separate from the coil. On pickups constructed this way, it is entirely possible and safe to push the magnets to set their relative heights or even press them out altogether.

Thus, magnet stagger height patterns can be altered, handedness changed, polarity inverted, magnets changed.

Fender American Standard single coils used to have magnets of equal length, set to equal heights just above the bobbin top. Fender Tex-Mex also have equal length magnets but pushed through the bobbin to resemble the magnet height stagger pattern of Fifties guitars.

EDIT - Please note my use of the words push and press. Striking the rod magnets is not advisable.
    Last edited by Funkfingers; 03-02-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Raziel

Oh thanks, you've made me realize a couple things. One other question, the length of the pole pieces are different in staggered magnets right?Even If I set them equal just above the bobbin top, they are still different sizes, different mass and therefore different magnetic strength. Would it be too effective or not as much important as the distance between the string and the pole?

Funkfingers

The answer to the magnet mass question depends on exactly how anally retentive Fender is being about its magnet material. Do they go to the trouble of compensating for rod length by equalising the nett strength of each of the six magnets in a given pickup? Somehow, I doubt it.

With modern string gauges, the string-to-string balance of Fifties style pickups definitely sounds wrong. On the other hand, that "wrongness" is part of the sound that many of us know and love.

In my opinion, for fingerboard radii up to 9.5", the vintage polepiece height pattern is acceptable. For anything shallower, the volume difference between the D and G strings and the other four is unacceptable. Either the middle two are okay and the others are too quiet or the outer four are okay and the middle two are wolfing all over the place.