No announcement yet.

A cross between a Les Paul and a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cross between a Les Paul and a Strat?

Reading the title, and you're thinking "yeah, right". Yeah. But seriously. Today I've been thinking about a new guitar. Not looking to (necessarily) get full on Les Paul sounds, not looking to get 100% Strat sounds, but a bit of both camps. Sorta.

I want something with a pickup config that allows it to sound really good clean (ish..), and be really mean with the overdrives. I want something with a trem that works. I don't care about the scale of the neck. I don't care if it's solid or hollow or semi. In terms of aesthetics (yeah, it does matter...), I'm more about the less polished finish and crazy quilt maple tops, the better. It seems that too many of the builders are all about going fancy pants about gaudy finishes. I just want something that plays great, have some meat to the sound, and look like a real work horse that can be beaten to death and still stand up.

I've been looking at Gretsch, but they're fairly expensive... And a bit boring perhaps? Kinda like a Cadillac or something. Not raw enough. I've been looking at Duesenbergs, and while they look too nice, I do like them.. They bring something new to the table. And their trems are really spoken highly of. But expensive.

Are there some lesser known brands that still got great quality to speak of? I've been surfing the net all night, and it kinda strikes me that my dream must be custom built, and that's a route I'm not ready for now.
    My Soundclick

Re: A cross between a Les Paul and a Strat?

Le Strat?

I think you should visit Warmoth's website and get something custom built.
    Cornford Hellcat
    Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
    Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
    Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
    Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

PRS was designed to be a cross between a Les Paul and Strat...Problem is, then people complain it doesnt sound enough like a Les Paul or enough like a Strat, so you cant please everybody

Comment

You rang?
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Uhmm, didn't that start years ago with EVH?
          I want more me in my tone.

Comment

For me, it's the PRS McCarty. But I'm also a big fan of G&L and Godin. Seriously consider some of the models from those companies. They both make awesome guitars.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hardtail Strat or tremolo block? The block makes a huge difference.

A mahogany Tele can do it, or a PRS, but once the trem block comes into play things get difficult.

Comment

I was going to say PRS... that was kind of the whole concept around them in the first place.

Comment

A I'd think a Mahogany Strat would get you close. Put a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the neck and middle, and you're halfway there.
                  Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                  Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                  Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                  Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                  Line 6 Helix
                  Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Charvel/jackson fusion, gibson scale with a strat style body.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                      I was going to say PRS... that was kind of the whole concept around them in the first place.
                      I remember the same concept was used, and advertised, for the Ovation Breadwinners in their day. But as so often happens, trying to straddle the gap between a Strat and LP usually ended up with an instrument that fell into no-man's land.
                      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                        A I'd think a Mahogany Strat would get you close. Put a humbucker in the bridge and two single coils in the neck and middle, and you're halfway there.
                        Like this?

Dirtbagg owns one of these. It still sounds like a Strat but it's a very dark, smooth sounding Strat. Great guitar!

Comment

FWIW, my McCarty (hardtail) and my LP studio were about the closest to each other sounding guitars I ever owned.

Comment

G&L Tribute Ascari GTS or Fiorano GTS. Basically a Strat-shaped Les Paul with coil splitting. They're basically the same guitar, but the Ascari is Gibson scale while the Fiorano is Fender scale (and has pointier horns). They are imports, but some of the best imports out there. And they're under 500 bucks.

Ascari:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascari-RW-TR-600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	5767399

Fiorano:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiorano-RW-TEK-600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	5767400
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yeah there are all kinds of "hybrids" out there...but the reality is that one guitar can't do it all...though many players have great success with jst a tele, strat, LP or 335.

Sounds to me like you need to do what I did. I use a G&L Legacy for my Strat tones. For my 2HB tones I'll use a 335 or aLes Paul, preferably a Historic.

But when I gig, I always take a backup guitar. The one guitar that I've found that can backup both guitars is a Legacy Special. These have Gotoh Dual Blade pickups and combined with G&L's PTB tone controls, I can get thick PAF -ish tones and something close to vintage alnico single coil tones. All with a great vibrato system and the strat style ergonomics that I prefer.

I think in this day and age, a player needs more than one guitar...and more than one amp to cover all the bases.

The one guitar that can do it all is a myth...about as real as a unicorn...with or without glitter.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X