banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

I just recorded five different guitars with five different pickups. I would like for you to put them in order from your favorite sound to your least favorite sound. Everything was recorded with the amp on 7 1/2 or at 2:30 (clock) depending on how you personally look at it. I figure that way the pickup is really giving it's true tone in a sense.

It's just me dorkaing around for about two and a half minutes with each pickup. I tried to somewhat play the same thing for each pickup sample, but I had a pretty good buzz while doing these. I'm not the greatest guitar player, but oh well. I just do what I do, and I think what I'm playing here is a rather good representative sound of each pickup.

I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff. I figure that's a good way to hear how a pickup sounds. So, anyways...........

Please place them in order for the tones you like the most to the tones you like the least.

In about a month or so I will let you all know what each pickup is and what guitar it is in. I hope you all enjoy this!!

EDIT:

I took the advice of some froum friends and redid these clips. They are all in the same order. The clean channel is still with everythin on the same settings, but it's just backed way down on the gain.

Last edited by JOLLY; 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM.

Re: 5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

Between first and second for me...probably the first...wow. TONE
    Originally posted by drew_half_empty
    what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

Re: 5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

Originally posted by Stratovarious View Post
      Between first and second for me...probably the first...wow. TONE
      Thanks brother. Try and put them all in an order if you wouldn't mind. I sure would appreciate it. I just want to see how evereyone percieves these different pickup tones.

Comment

I'll give it another whirl and do exactly that great playing too!

Okay, I have done so

in this order

3 - Bright, snarly as hell, great definition on chords and nice lead tone
        2- Bright , thick , very nice lead tone
        1- Less bright , a bit thicker, probably the best lead tone
        5/4 - sounded thick, less bright, more modern IMO , and a bit of creeping ceramic 'shrillness' in the lead tones? Not bad tones at all, just preferred the rest
        Last edited by Stratovarious; 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM.
        what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

It is hard for me to decide. I really like 1, 2, and, 4 the best. If I was to rank it favorite to least favorite though:

Comment

Originally posted by CodeDante View Post
            It is hard for me to decide. I really like 1, 2, and, 4 the best. If I was to rank it favorite to least favorite though:
            Awesome!! This is what I want to see. Thank you!!

Comment

I had a hard time deciding between a few but I think for now my order from favorite to least favorite is

My order my change tomorrow when I get a chance to listen using better headphones.

Comment

3 - 5 - 2 - 1 - 4

Comment

3 seems the most different from the rest...and all could probably made very close to each other with some e.q.ing.

Originally posted by Stratovarious View Post
                  3 - Bright, snarly as hell, great definition on chords and nice lead tone
                  2- Bright , thick , very nice lead tone
                  1- Less bright , a bit thicker, probably the best lead tone
                  5/4 - sounded thick, less bright, more modern IMO , and a bit of creeping ceramic 'shrillness' in the lead tones? Not bad tones at all, just preferred the rest
                  WTF? Everything you wrote is pretty much the exact opposite of what I heard.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-25-2013, 08:09 AM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

3 seems the most different from the rest...and all could probably made very close to each other with some e.q.ing.

WTF? Everything you wrote is pretty much the exact opposite of what I heard.
                      Really? maybe headphones are to blame..

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post

I agree about 3 sounding different. To me it actually sounded more muffled and less defined than the others.

Comment

Awesomeness!

Comment

Originally posted by CodeDante View Post
                            Hah, wow we were pretty close!

Comment

Drunken pickup comparisons? Interesting.

Need the exact riff played exactly the same in order to tell what pickup I think sounds better. I also need to locate each riff fairly fast...

I couldn't possibly put one in front of another in this haphazard format.

The only thing I can scientifically say is that they all sound really good.
                              Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Working...
                              X