• Show
Clear All

Re: Unsung, underrated six string heroes

I feel like another two would be:
    James Valentine (Maroon 5)
    Dave Garofalo (Safetysuit)

Comment

One of the most underrated guitarists I know is Andy Timmons, just fantastic phrasing, feel and tone. His playing is just amazing:

Last edited by Hairmail; 07-07-2013, 12:21 AM.
      “Dude, sucking at something is the first step towards being sorta good at something.” - Jake the Dog

Comment

Johnny Ramone is definitely underrated. He is always considered a guy that bashes chords for 2.5 minutes per song but if you listen to his body of work he has laid down some great textures and tasteful leads.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
          You know my uncle is big into them, and I just never got into it. I like maybe two songs by them, but I could never sit through an entire album. I tried to do The Devil put Dinosaurs Here, but I couldn't listen to it from beginning to end. I don't know why, but they just aren't my vibe.
          The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here is probably their worst album if you are giving them a chance where you might get into them. It is just such a dense album that you have to listen to more than a few times until you really get it/really enjoying it.

I'd just start with either Dirt or Facelift. I started with Facelift. Do not start with Tripod, SAP, or Black Gives Way To Blue; maybe Jar of Flies.
          Last edited by Myaccount876; 07-11-2013, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Izzy Stradlin. Looking back I now realize that the guitar parts and tones that made me fall in love with Appetite were all Izzy and not my main man Slash. It seems to me he doesn't get the credit he's due.
            Originally posted by Rockstar216
            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Chris Whitley for alt blues & a variety of other genres... He never really settled on a musical style (or record label, for that matter), but did some fantastic work. He also played backing tracks for a few dozen hits - usually on his Style O resonator.

Start with Living With the Law, but do not expect him to stay in that vein.

Passed way too young from lung cancer (going through a pack a gig might have had something to do with that).
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Really cool thread. A lot of names already mentioned that I was thinking of. Here is who I thought of...

Rocky George (Suicidal Tendencies)
                Chris Oliva (Savatage)
                Andy LaRoque (King Diamond/Death)
                Chuck Schuldiner (Death/Control Denied)
                James Murphy (Death/Obituary/Testament/Solo Artist)-His Convergence and Feeding the Machine albums are awesome!
                Frank Hannon (Tesla)
                Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth) His rhythm playing is tight and precise it's as good as Hetfield's imho.

Comment

Working...
                X