banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Twin Reverb VS Fender Deluxe Reverb? Your experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Twin Reverb VS Fender Deluxe Reverb? Your experiences?

I think the best answer is "both"! Not trying to be a smartass, but there it is. I own a Twin Reverb RI and a 68 Super. I think you can't go wrong with either the Twin or the Deluxe, but there are important considerations.
    1. Twins are heavy. I have a road case for mine because it makes it very easy for two people to carry. Much better than a hand truck or just carrying it with the handle IMO.
    2. Twins are loud, but they sound pretty darn good at lower volumes IMO. So if you are using a pedal you really like you should be good to go. A deluxe certainly can get nice verge of breakup at way more reasonable volume, but you run out of clean headroom much earlier. You won't run out of clean headroom on a twin. If you want that verge of breakup or breakup sounds, a Twin is probably the wrong choice.
    3. Both amps have fantastic rich clean tone.
    4. The Deluxe has a tube rectifier, I like this as even clean you'll get a nice warm "growl" in the lower midrange that is just awesome. If I didn't have the Super I would need a Deluxe for this reason alone. The Twin doesn't have the tube rec and sounds a little "harder". Still awesome rich deep clean, just a little different.
    5. You may need to swap the speakers in either amp, I had to do so on my Twin as they were way too harsh and just made the amp sound all wrong. Went with Texas Heats that Gibson 175 suggested and I'm happy as a clam now. You can also warm up the low volume tone from the Twin by pulling the V1 tube if you play the vibrato channel, which I had good results doing. A 5751 in v2 also helped warm things up nicely.
    6. The Deluxe has no bright switch, it's like the bright switch is always on. They can be a tad bright IMO, especially the reissues I tried. The early silver face ones seem to be mellower to my ears. Of course you can clip the bright cap like lots of folks on here have done. The lack of mid knob bothered me too but they seem to be voiced the way I like, so it proved to not be the deal breaker I expected.
    7. Twins are easy to get good deals on. DR's not so much. In fact the silver face DR's are priced to the moon right now.

I love playing both my amps together in stereo. I don't use that for gigs but it is really fun when I'm just goofing off.
    Last edited by nedcronin; 04-05-2013, 01:01 PM. Reason: iPad spellcheck

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
      why do you guys all feel the need to crank your amps?
      I can't (3 floor of apartment building) nor do I need to crank my amps. I do, however, I like to turn them up a bit to open them up and get the speaker(s) pumpin a bit of air.
      Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM.
      Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
      Roland Cube 60
      Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
      BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
      LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
      Mogami Cables
      Mooer Candy Toppers
      Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
      Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I have heard of some people pulling 2 power tubes to split the wattage in the Twin Reverb.. Having said that, Is that safe to do or do you risk damage to the amp? Just curious....
        Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
        Roland Cube 60
        Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
        BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
        LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
        Mogami Cables
        Mooer Candy Toppers
        Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
        Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

you can pull two tubes but it wont half the wattage. and you should only run one speaker to keep the impedence matched correctly, not that it will have any serious ill effects.

it tames the volume a touch for sure but dont expect a massive reduction

Comment

I used a Twin as my main amp in rock bands for years, with a Tubescreamer and a hot bucker (X2N). Fantastic sound! However, we were playing very loud.

I've toned it down a bit in recent years in terms of volume, even if playing hard rock. I have never owned a DR, but I have mates in Green Bay that gig with them, and they are great for clubs. They're playing blues rock and classic rock.

Want to play rock LOUD? Twin w/a crunch box. Great cleans at up to moderately loud volume? Twin. Otherwise, a DR may be a great amp to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
              I used a Twin as my main amp in rock bands for years, with a Tubescreamer and a hot bucker (X2N). Fantastic sound! However, we were playing very loud
              I would take a Fender Twin over a Marshall any day for hard rock or metal.

Comment

Fender Twin Reverb VS Fender Deluxe Reverb? Your experiences?

I like Jeremy have had both. I sold my Twin because it was too loud. My DR is a wonderful amp but if I need more I use my Super Reverb. The super is a pita to move because of its height more then the weight but it is my all time Favorite Fender amp SRV used. SR as his main amps early in his career. They have 40w and 4 10" speakers so they move more air the the Twins do and they break up easier due to the lower wattage. The Twin is a very clean amp but the Super can get raunchy. It's a great amp. What I do is set the volume at about 4 to 5 then I can clean it up with my volume control. I also a/b'd mine with a Marshall for years. Talk about versatile but a lot of gear to move

The DR is my favorite of all Fenders. It's a very powerful little amp. At 22w it's plenty loud for most of the clubs I play and they break up early at about 4 to 5 they sound great. Once the volume gets over 5.5 it tends to get muddy but that can be
                Fixed with the right speaker. The DR IS NOT A CLEAN AMP. It has plenty of balls and they are loud depending on how big the rooms are that you play. If I play a gig where the room is big enough for about 500 to 1000 people(which i never do) I would mike my Deluxe. Other then that i use it almost exclusively for gigging. Last fall I played an outside gig and I used my Marshall. 98% if the time I use the Deluxe
                Last edited by Bludave; 04-17-2013, 07:37 PM.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Wow that video freaked me out!

Comment

One sounds amazing, the other...not so much.

Yup, I said it. Twins rock, Deluxes are boxy with no clean headroom.
                    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

troublemaker! lol
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                      X