CTN builds a Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CTN builds a Star

Thought about that...couldn't be arsed to do it though. It costs me mere cents to get the right sized screws from home depot.

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
      Thought about that...couldn't be arsed to do it though. It costs me mere cents to get the right sized screws from home depot.
      Just hacksaw the ****ers down haha Captain obvious strikes again

Comment

Great parts link! Been needing a place to supply me some foam for something Im inventing.. Plus need some special latches too..
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
          Just hacksaw the ****ers down haha Captain obvious strikes again
          Click image for larger version

Name:	captain-obvious.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	5767917
          lol

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          Great parts link! Been needing a place to supply me some foam for something Im inventing.. Plus need some special latches too..
          cool! glad to be of some help

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]41110[/ATTACH]
            lol
            That was terribly hurtful haha

Comment

lmao I'm not kissing anything better bubba, you'll have to get a dingo to do that for ya

Comment

Finally able to see the pics.. Awesome!! I like the headstock idea too..
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

designed it myself. It was a pain. lots of versions that looked positively retarded before that one emerged.

Comment

It dawned on me today that I should probably do a belly cut/contour on the back. I'll do that sometime this week perhaps.

Also I think I narrowed down my paint choices from 35 options to about 6. I think the next step is going to dealers and trying to get swatches of these colours. It's kinda difficult to see what these look like indoors because all the pictures i find when i google the names or paint codes is cars...outside...with lots of sunshine or overcast skies, and that completely distorts the actual colour of the paint from one photo to another. Hence swatches...that way I can potentially look at all of them side by side, indoors, and see what they look like. And all this, because Duplicolor doesn't have swatches that I can look at. What a nuisance.

Comment

do these balance well?

Comment

no idea! never played a star before! But I have played explorers, and they balance exceptionally well.

There's no reason this shouldn't also. Just depends on strap button placement.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                          do these balance well?
                          Yep, it's one of the most balanced shapes, and easier to play sitting than a V or an Explorer.

Comment

update time!!

-deepened the rear cutaway for better access to upper frets (the first time I did it, it wasn't pronounced enough.
                            -sized the ferrule holes (rear and front) for the ferrules I got. They were a bit small. no biggie
                            -finish sanded the whole body
                            -pre-wired the electronics harness.
                            -the neck is very close now. should be getting here any day now (hopefully by tomorrow, but this weekend's gonna be super busy, so if it doesn't get here until monday, that works out well. I'll need some time to make all the final measurements and woodwork anyway, especially the shaping of the headstock)

On the body this is all I have left to do before painting:

-drill control holes and jack plate screw holes
                            -shape the contoured heel and drill neck ferrule recesses
                            -find and drill good strap button locations
                            -mount the neck and do a test setup to make sure all is well and to make sure I don't need to recess the tuneomatic.

The only bad news I have is that I am absolutely no closer to selecting a paint colour. I'll try to get that done this coming week.

Comment

On the body this is all I have left to do before painting:

-find and drill good strap button locations

Among important things.

Best I know to add is that I moved the buttons on my Dean ML by putting one on the front/side like an Explorer...

Then I moved the back one along the top V until I found the perfect balance spot,something like this one,if visible...

I personally can't stand strap buttons on the back of a guitar,esp on the neck heel.Damn shame Dean insists on it,but those are the best(pretty much only) examples/pics I have.

Just trying to help,but if you can'tdon't use the info,that's all good,too!!!

Can't wait to see more!!
                              Last edited by Rand-O-Monium; 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM.
                              "Scalloped & Stickered"
                              A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

I don't mind it on/near the heel. I've had a couple guitars like that and it never bothered me. if anything it makes them balance better, depending on where the other button goes.

we'll see how it goes. My plan is to tape the strap ends at various locations, well enough to support the weight of the guitar without ripping the tape off, so I should have a fairly decent idea of which positions work best.

The body is pretty light (3.7 lbs), so I think the experimentation will be necessary, cuz i'm not sure how the neck will balance out one it's got tuners on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X