Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500-600 Tube Amp

Hello,
    I'm looking for a tube amplifier for $500-600 that will give me a good tone for pop-punk/punk rock (Green Day, Blink 182, Sum 41 etc.). I'm only using it at home and for recording purposes, so anything above 50 watts will probably be way to loud (right?). I don't want to buy a used amp because this is probably the last amp I'm going to be getting for a long time (7 years at least), so I want it to be in good condition. It does not need to have a great clean channel.

Most pop-punk/punk rock bands I've seen use Marshall JCM 800-ish amplifiers, but thats out of my price range, so any amp within my price range that can give me that sound should do the job. I'll be using it with a Fender Standard Stratocaster with a Seymour DUncan SH-5 in the bridge.

Combo or Head and Cab, doesnt really matter which.

Thanks
    Last edited by AG2997; 05-04-2013, 11:52 PM.

Re: $500-600 Tube Amp

what are you looking for a combo or head and cab?

Comment

right on the upper edge of your price range
      the Carvin V3 Micro

got three channels and a 50/22/7 watt switch

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitara...icroseries.php
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Doesn't really matter whether its a head and cab or a combo, but a combo would be easier to accommodate in my room.

Comment

There is some rad blackstar stuff around that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
            There is some rad blackstar stuff around that price range.
            I've considered the Blackstars, but the distortion on them seems a bit harsh from the youtube videos I've seen.

Comment

I'd get a Marshall, and definitely a combo, as that gives you a much bigger bang for the buck. For some dumb reason, Marshall combos go for less than heads, even though a combo can do everything a head can do and more, but not the other way around. I'd look for the best local Marshall 800, 900, DSL, or TSL combo that you can afford. I sold my TSL122 last year, and it took almost a year to sell and brought only $800 locally – about 1/3 of what it cost new. That "kid" who bought it from me got a hell of a bang for his buck. That's a "top-of-the-line" 100W 2x12 three-channel model. Go down in wattage and in the number of speakers, and you will definitely get something in your price range.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-05-2013, 12:51 AM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                I'd get a Marshall, and definitely a combo, as that gives you a much bigger bang for the buck. For some dumb reason, Marshall combos go for less than heads, even though a combo can do everything a head can do and more, but not the other way around. I'd look for the best local Marshall 800, 900, DSL, or TSL combo that you can afford. I sold my TSL122 last year, and it took almost a year to sell and brought only $800 locally – about 1/3 of what it cost new. That "kid" who bought it from me got a hell of a bang for his buck. That's a "top-of-the-line" 100W 2x12 three-channel model. Go down in wattage and in the number of speakers, and you will definitely get something in your price range.
                I can just about afford a new DSL 40 Combo or the DSL 15 Combo. Are both of them the same? Since I'm only using the amp at home, I would just go with the cheaper DSL 15 if it sounds the same as the DSL 40.

Comment

I dunno. If you like it, and really want a brand new amp, why not? But I do think you can get a better amp for less if you buy used.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                    I dunno. If you like it, and really want a brand new amp, why not? But I do think you can get a better amp for less if you buy used.
                    I live in Singapore, and theres not much used stuff here. I find a lot of used amps on ebay, but an amp for say $600 automatically costs $800 for me because of the shipping charges. Thats why I'm reluctant to buy used unless I get a really good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by AG2997 View Post
                      I live in Singapore, and theres not much used stuff here. I find a lot of used amps on ebay, but an amp for say $600 automatically costs $800 for me because of the shipping charges. Thats why I'm reluctant to buy used unless I get a really good deal.
                      itsabass is right. Used you will save a heap and get a better overall amp for your money.

Like when i was looking for a valve amp it came down to a peavey jsx (used) vs a series one blackstar (new) both with cabs. I went with the jsx because it was almost $2000 less and just as good quality.

Comment

The first thing that popped into my head was the MESA Transatlantic, as it will probably have the most versatility right out of the box. I don't know how much they are going for used, or even if there is one available in your part of the world.

There is also that OEM amp which looks like the H&K which is made in the Far East, but the name escapes me! It's Goldea, I think.

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

One of the smaller Marshalls will definitely get you the tone you want and more. Blackstar is another viable option too. One thing to note, be sure to try amps out if you can find them, even if they might not be exactly what you had in mind in the first place. Online reviews, and videos are great to find some information, but they don't compare to actually sitting down with a guitar and really hearing it.

Comment

Laney VC or LC30

I've got the VC30 and I can NOT think of a better sounding amp for what I got it for ..

The clean channel alone is worth a million bucks . The dirt channel is grunty and dirty . Perfect for punk

The LC is more marshally and freakin awesome
                            Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                            what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

50 watts for home and studio use is a bit overkill, in my opinion.

You could try out some of the Orange lunchboxs. The Tiny Terror could be a great choice for you, since you're not interested in clean tones.
                              I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Working...
                              X