banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some ideas - What 2 channel 30-40wt head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some ideas - What 2 channel 30-40wt head?

I am looking for a high quality but not necessarily boutique head. Ideally 2 channels - clean/dirt to higher gain. I don't need OTT gain but I like to have a fair amount on tap if possible without a pedal. 30-40wts though I'd consider 50wts I guess. I am thinking 4-EL84 or 6V6 but certainly I have nothing against 6L6 or EL34 amps. I want something with a little smaller form factor than a full size head, I am tired of big boxes. Needs to be gig worthy, reliability is a must as well.

I fell for a local amp builder's amps but while each one sounds awesome I would probably need to run pedals with one or be stuck with very little flexibility if I got the other. They are still candidates but I am not sure what is out there that I am unfamiliar with.

I ditched my Jet City 20, if they'd make a 4x84 version I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I sold my XXX. Great amp but just too much of everything for me these days.

I like the TH30 and the AD30 from Orange and they are in the running.

So what else? Give me some food for thought please! I have some time right now to look since the band is quiet and I have a bit of a war fund to work with.
    Last edited by Wattage; 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Re: Need some ideas - What 2 channel 30-40wt head?

would a Carvin Micro V3 be the ticket?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitara...icroseries.php
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Blackstar You won't regret it.

Last edited by Rockstar216; 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM.
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

New DSL40

TM36, but it is 3 channels

Supersonic 22 head

Tweaker 40

Fargen Miniplex

What happened to your DT25?
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have not tried one yet but a Mesa Lonestar or Lonestar Special 2x12 combo might fit your spec. I am considering these for smaller gigs. They have switchable wattage and two footswitchable channels. IIRC the Special runs EL84s in the power section and the regular Lonestar 6L6.

sigpic

Comment

Still have the DT25 and I love it but it is really only an 18-20 wt. amp. Sounds great I have been using it for rehearsal a lot lately but I want to get it back to the house.

Remember I am looking for a head. The H&K and the DSL40 are both combos. The Tweaker 40 is a cool amp but my tech has really been down on most of the Egnater stuff. The Tweak15 I've runs some serious voltage I imagine the 40 is even higher. I'll have to consider it though I guess. I think the 15 sounds great but was replaced by the DT rig.

Not familiar with Fargen will check the SS22 is a little light for what I want, great sounding little amp though.

Will check out the Carvin, not familiar at all. The Blackstar 40 in a head would be nice so the 50 might be worth looking at as well. I like their stuff.

Forgot about the Lonestar Special - will definitely chk it out.

Thx guys keep 'em coming.
            Last edited by Wattage; 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM.
            My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

If you can go down to 25W, Mesa Express Plus 5:25. It's a smallish (19" width) two channel amp. Each channel has two gain modes (though the two gain modes aren't foot switchable within each channel), and it's own e.q. controls. There is a foot switchable graphic e.q. and flat-e.q. boost (eliminating the need to use outboard pedals for those things, if you currently do so). The amp can also be run in 15W class A push/pull mode, or 5W class A single-ended mode. It's a hell of a lot of high quality amp for $1,200...and probably much less if you find a use one.

You could also get the 5:50 for $100 more. It's features are all the same, but it uses 6L6's, and its power modes are 50W class AB, 25W class A push/pull, and 5W class A single ended.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-10-2013, 11:30 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yeah sorry..dsl40 is not a head.

Hk TM36 however is available as a head.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That 5:50 looks pretty cool too

Know anything about the TA30? That thing has a lot of things I want for sure.
                  Last edited by Wattage; 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM.
                  My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I would also check out the Orange Rockverb and Thunderverb 50 heads. I've seen good reviews about them.
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

If I moved some stuff around and got a different rig, it would probably be this 20th Ann. Bogner Shiva head and cab.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

That would be nice but probably a little heady pricewise for me.

If I go Plexi like I'll stay with the local build. Rock N Roll Amps makes an amp called the Lil Bastard. Pretty wicked it's a Bassman and a Plexi with some cool options and the ability to blend the 2 tone stacks. I am genuinely in love with the amp but a non-MV amp is a bit tricky.

I am actually thinking of maybe scoring a used Dual Terror and then picking up the RnR amp as well, could use a few more pesos in the GAS fund though.
                        My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I can second the nomination for Mesa gear. There are lots of choices, especially if you consider some of the discontinued models. All of these amps can be found in head and combo versions. You might pay a bit more for a Mesa but you're getting top quality gear.

Look at the DC-3 or 5, Nomad 45 or 55, F-30 or 50 and the Maverick. The Mav has a bit less gain than the others; the Nomad is a three channel amp. I have a Maverick 212 and a DC-3 and they have very different flavors from my Mark III and Mark IV amps.

The Lonestar Special is a great choice with four el84s. Totally different flavor than the TA-30, which has more of a Vox vibe. I also like the Express Plus--the graphic eq is a powerful tool.

Some of the big amps can even run 6v6s instead of 6L6s or EL34s. So don't dismiss a Mark IV or a Heartbreaker or Lonestar Classic because they are big amps. All of the amps have different power levels.

There are lots of choices with Mesa amps. Check out their site and you can download any of the owner's manuals for more information, or give the tech support guys a call. Good stuff.

Bill
                          Last edited by Boogie Bill; 05-10-2013, 01:52 AM.
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

After going to some of those shows like the Amp Show and Pedal Show, I'm starting to believe in the idea of using a great sounding single channel tube amp with a few dirt pedals.

Normally, I like amps that can do it all but I'm seeing good results on the other method as well. The better pedals get, the more this is a viable option.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              I am actually thinking of maybe scoring a used Dual Terror
                              That's the first amp that came into my mind as soon as I read the thread title. Has quite a lot of gain on tap but not near 'brutal'. Not sure how well it takes pedals. Definitely leans into the hot-rodded Brit side of things while retaining enough jangle for cleans.
                              Last edited by Animal; 05-10-2013, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X