banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some ideas - What 2 channel 30-40wt head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need some ideas - What 2 channel 30-40wt head?

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    After going to some of those shows like the Amp Show and Pedal Show, I'm starting to believe in the idea of using a great sounding single channel tube amp with a few dirt pedals.

Normally, I like amps that can do it all but I'm seeing good results on the other method as well. The better pedals get, the more this is a viable option.
    To me, the pedals just don't sound like a tube amp. The sequence of attack compression distortion release gets all mixed up.

Seems kinda crazy to me to get a $$$$ boutique amp and stick a $30 dirt box in front of it, LOL! And of course it doesn't end there--I recently met a guy, an admitted pedal snob, and he had a drawer FULL of boutique ODs, distortions and fuzz pedals! He probably had a few grand in pedals alone.

But there are lots of different ways to get the job done. I'm sticking with the lead tones I get from my Mesas. The Mark IV knobs I understand--but pedals are just too complicated--they boggle my mind! LOL!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Oh and if you want more of a vintage look and sound but not as expensive you can look at these they don't have an FX loop though. http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/artisan30h/
      Originally posted by KBliss
      WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
      Originally posted by trevorus
      The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I highly recommend both the Blackstar HT-50 head and the Artisan head, and also the Series One 50w head. They are all great heads. Depending on what your playing, at least one of them will be able to deliver what you want.

There is also the HT series drive pedals as well, which have an all valve drive circuit IIRC.

Comment

The Lonestar Special should be able to hit everything you are after. It's a two channel amp, but really has three channels when you kick on the "More Drive" for channel 2. The clean tones are amazing, and the 2nd channel can be set to be a slightly grittier sounding clone of channel 1, or you can dial in some serious gain. I'd also try to take a TA-15 or TA-30 for a spin. Both have really good sounds. They are two channels, and ach channel can be set to be either clean or dirty, iirc. One side is a bit more Fendery and the other kinda Voxy.
          Go Packers!

Comment

I second the recommendation to look closely @ the Fender Super Sonic 22. Yes, it's just 22 watts, but if you have the right cab, I don't think you'll need more. Lots of versatility here.

Comment

Sounds like you want the bogner alchemist....

Comment

Blackstar (I' familiar with the HTs only) or Orange but I dont think you can get good sounding non fizzy dirt tone from TH30 nor gain enough for metal from AD30 so Dual Terror gets my vote.

Comment

I think I just bought a Dual Terror. My friend's shop let me borrow it for practice tonight and Holy **** does it kick ass. Everything I need and nothing I don't, super impressed. Going to sleep on it but the band gave it a major thumbs up. I wasn't sure about a single tone knob set up but I was dialed in immediately so I can't complain.

Thanks for all the input guys, I may not be done yet but I definitely found a very serious contender if I am not.

My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

If you need marshall crunch (e.g acdc/kiss) I suggest you to stay away because from my limited experience trying one it don't do crunch that well it tends to sound more fluid (e.g jimmy page/b.gibbons). All in all, you might not be able to get marshall sound from an orange but I think you can get orange sound from a marshall with a bit of fuzz.
                    Last edited by NewWave; 05-11-2013, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Marsall-esque (which is as close as I need really) at times but yeah a bit more fluid which I really like. I owned an AD15 combo so I am pretty familiar with Orange sounds. I was kind of hoping I would find something from them that worked to be honest. I am more Johnny Ramone and Thunders than Page or the REv but I love them both.

I am definitely buying the Terror, after sleeping on it I have no doubt.
                      My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I like the Terrors but IMO, that new OR15 is the best thing they have going besides the big bucks heads.

Might wanna give it a try.
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Orange th30 is an amazing head.
                          The rocker30 is also very cool if you can find one used.
                          However, versatility wise, I'd go th.

Comment

The OR15 was too small for me power wise, 30wts was definitely a must. I checked out the TH30 and the AD30 and I really liked them both but the Dual Terror did everything that I wanted those to do for less beans and in a smaller package.

A 2 EL84 amp is great, the JC20H I had was really a fantastic head but when you really need to get LOUD those extra 2 bottles give a body to the sound that's just missing for me on a 15wt amp.

Last edited by Wattage; 05-11-2013, 06:10 PM.
                            My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Gahh..I forgot the DT was a 30watter.

Seems like Mr. Wattage needs more wattage than what the OR15 can dish out. Killer amp though.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Oh yeah, you'll love the dual terror for that kind of music . I mean it's light, looks cool, has a watt switch, what not to like? But I'll say if you get a blackstar you'll get more for the money (plus it ht 50 head uses el34s). Though I never like the look of blackstar amps but I kinda get the feeling that orange amps are sooo pricy because they're orange in color which is badass.
                                Last edited by NewWave; 05-11-2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X