Thread: Beginner Audio Interface?

Default Beginner Audio Interface?

I'm looking into getting my first audio interface. Keep it under $150. I was thinking of waiting for the Behringer U-Phoria UMC204. I'm also looking at the Yamaha Audiogram 6, Presonus Audiobox, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and Tascam US-600. Any of those sound good? I'm going to sell my Boss ME-70 to get the interface. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Beginner Audio Interface?

Can't speak for the others but the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is really nice. Has much better sounding pre-amps than the Lexicon unit I replaced it with. I get a really nice sound even just plugging my Les Paul or bass direct, no pre-amp. I read they're releasing new interfaces as well, not sure the price.
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Duncan SH-5 Custom in Bridge)
    Fender FSR Paisley Telecaster MiM (Hot Rails Bridge)
    ESP LTD M-400 (EMGs)
    Korg Pitchblack -> Boss Super Chorus -> Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion > Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper > Fender Super-Sonic 60

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcrknp View Post
    Can't speak for the others but the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is really nice. Has much better sounding pre-amps than the Lexicon unit I replaced it with. I get a really nice sound even just plugging my Les Paul or bass direct, no pre-amp. I read they're releasing new interfaces as well, not sure the price.
    Yours doesn't clip going straight in? They made it way too sensitive.

Funkfingers

Most of those brands are fine. Anything that is compact and can be powered down the USB/FW cable will always be handy for fuss-free mobile recording. If you know that you will eventually need more input sockets, consider holding out until you can afford a device with more facilities. e.g. The Tascam US-600's bigger brothers. About four years ago, I bought a MOTU Ultralite mk3. Never had any problems.

Ultimate Tone Member Shadow1psc's Avatar

If you're looking for budget to jot ideas and get a feel for your DAW, the focusrite as mentioned you can't go wrong with. If you want something more full featured and forward-thinking, any MOtU unit or Avid Mbox will serve you very well. I found my Mbox 2 on ebay years ago for an absolute steal of a price, so don't forget that you can do similar.
    SBMM JP70 "Shadow" - ESP Horizon "Violet" - Charvel Model 5 "Cherry" - Ibanez S570 "Beast" - Ibanez RG470 "Penny" - Ibanez RG4Ex1 "Azure" - Fender Strat "Candy"
    Mi Familia

I've used nearly every brand of audio interface over the years (except Yamaha ... didn't even know they made them) and Focusrite has consistently impressed me the most. The Scarlett 2i2 is the best small interface right now.

Never buy Behringer for anything ever. You will regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherdashing View Post
    Never buy Behringer for anything ever. You will regret it.
    I've heard that about Behringer. I have also heard that they are starting to produce audio gear at a higher level (I still wouldn't touch any of their amps at this point). I'll find out soon enough... I also was looking for an interface for the first time. Looking at the options I decided against getting any of the individual-only interfaces, and got a Behringer mixer with a USB connection. Far more flexibility for just over $150 (15% off $179.99). I just got it from UPS. I'll let you know in a week or so if I regret it.

Name:  DV016_Jpg_Large_485370_V.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  91.3 KB
    Last edited by BlueTalon; 05-22-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Well, I tried. Good luck.

He Did the Monster Mash DrNewcenstein's Avatar

I've heard lots of bad things about Berhinger, mostly how they stole OPP, and the Bugera's had weak jack mounts, but other than that, I don't think I've heard anything bad about their overall quality. They sound good, they do what they should do, where's the beef?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Note View Post
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Her Little Mojo Minion DankStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
    I've heard lots of bad things about Berhinger, mostly how they stole OPP, and the Bugera's had weak jack mounts, but other than that, I don't think I've heard anything bad about their overall quality. They sound good, they do what they should do, where's the beef?
    Behringer's boards are basically Mackie rip-offs with inferior parts. The cost cutting noticeably makes its way into the sound quality. I have yet to try a Behringer board that wasn't noisy to the point of being useless for recording (I'd consider them barely acceptable for live sound).

I can max out the EQ knobs and fader on a Mackie board and hear only a teensy amount of hiss or hum. Try that with a Behringer.

Any mic pre will introduce noise if you crank the gain, even the high end ones, but the pre's on a Behringer board start hissing almost immediately.

People need to stop thinking more = better when it comes to recording gear. Nothing is created equal, and you almost always get what you pay for. Two great-sounding inputs are always better than eight crappy inputs.

Oh well. I hope BlueTalon uses his new board to get better at recording and mixing, and when he does he will most certainly want to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by DankStar View Post
    Yours doesn't clip going straight in? They made it way too sensitive.
    Not for me, it works great. The only interface I owned previously was a Lexicon, the Scarlett is much better. I was looking in the 150 dollar range like the OP so your options are limited.
    I wouldn't buy Behringer anything, I've had nothing but trouble with their stuff.
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Duncan SH-5 Custom in Bridge)
    Fender FSR Paisley Telecaster MiM (Hot Rails Bridge)
    ESP LTD M-400 (EMGs)
    Korg Pitchblack -> Boss Super Chorus -> Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion > Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper > Fender Super-Sonic 60

+10 on the Behringer Bashing. I have a 16-channel board that never failed to disappoint me. In my case, it lacked headroom, so always overloaded and clipped the audio when I actually tried to use all 16 channels with my 4-piece band. It was 1/4 the price of a Mackie 1604, and it shows. I'm afraid to sell it because I don't want to pass that kind of pain along to anybody, at any price. Any piece of gear that causes so much frustration/distraction is not worth owning.

Wishing you better luck with this one, but keep a close eye on your return period...
    Quote Originally Posted by DreX View Post
    Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
    The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
    There's no substance to anything I have posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_Skopp
    I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.