• Show
Clear All

Re: Godin users unite

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-20_17-49-44_69.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	5776024

I need to excavate in my Radiator pretty soon. I plugged it in coming directly out of the box from FL when I got it used, and it's needed some TLC since then. My older son found it and decided to crank the front pickup volume until wires snapped, so I've been working on the bridge pup for a while. I vowed that as soon as I broke a string, I'd do the whole open-body surgery and fix what needs to be fixed. I was going to add a 3 way switch, but I'm just not really worried about it right now, so...next time.
    The neck is a 24.75 length, so it's nice and slinky. Most everything behind the pickguard is hollow.
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Does anyone know the difference between the Icon and the Core lines? They seem the same to me except the core has a pick guard and combo wrap around bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfonse View Post
        Does anyone know the difference between the Icon and the Core lines? They seem the same to me except the core has a pick guard and combo wrap around bridge.
        I'm pretty sure the Core series is machine assembled and the Icon is the hand assembled. I know the Icons get a hand-rubbed finish. I imagine it's the difference in like...LTD and ESP, I guess. Or a Les Paul USA vs a Les Paul Custom shop. Definitely not like the difference between Epiphone and Gibson; there isn't that much of a gap in quality.

All I know is I want an Icon with the hand-rubbed finish, pearloid pickguard and matching pearloid-topped p-rails. That would be a Never-sell for sure. The Radiator I have is a Never-sell because I wouldn't get what it's worth, but then there's also Never-EVER-Sell.

Comment

I had a guy offer to trade me his Freeway Classic for my Ibanez SZ720FM the other day. If I wasn't in the position of needing the cash, I probably would have looked in to it more.

Comment

This is the unfortunate reality of buying a Godin. They are very reasonable, but their re-sale value isn't the greatest. I don't understand why. Seems like the only good resellers are
            Gibons, Fenders and very recently, PRS. Some Gretch guitars are valuable too. some like the country Gentleman are really well made but don't do anything for me. People like
            Stephen Stills sure liked them. Rickenbacker are out of sight! i never played one, so I have no opinion. I always thought they were named for Eddie, the World War 1 Ace.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfonse View Post
              This is the unfortunate reality of buying a Godin. They are very reasonable, but their re-sale value isn't the greatest. I don't understand why. Seems like the only good resellers are
              Gibons, Fenders and very recently, PRS. Some Gretch guitars are valuable too. some like the country Gentleman are really well made but don't do anything for me. People like
              Stephen Stills sure liked them. Rickenbacker are out of sight! i never played one, so I have no opinion. I always thought they were named for Eddie, the World War 1 Ace.
              A simple solution is to buy the guitar you want to play, not a guitar for resale. If you're looking to get into the guitar market, don't bother with anything but the two biggies, and only stray from USA if it's a Japanese guitar.

Every one of Godin and Richmond's line is a player and a gigger. Maybe in 30 years people will want to pay larger amounts for them like they do for stuff like Hamers now, but for now, buy to enjoy.

It doesn't hurt that they also make very pretty guitars. Buying a used Godin will net you a guitar that will work hard for you for a generation.

Comment

Alternatively, buy 'em used for next to nothing and really stretch the hell out of your dollar.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I love my Godin Session, the pickups on it were good but not my style. For a basswood strat copy it weighs a lot. Actually I don't perform live with it for that reason because the shoulder neck area tends to hurt after 10min. So its purpose is for recordings only. it does shine there though

Comment

I just was talking to a Godin dealer locally who's got a problem with the weight of the guitars, but that's about it. I can understand where he's coming from as he's past me in years a bit, and gigging with a huge Shifter bass could get pretty bad after a while I bet.

Honestly, I hope nobody figures it out. I like to have a guitar from a horribly underrated company. I'd like to get more, but that's for some other day when I have more money. A Progression would be super sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      Alternatively, buy 'em used for next to nothing and really stretch the hell out of your dollar.
                      The best guitar I've ever bought for the lowest price was a Godin LG P90, which has an absolutely great neck, toneful body, and Duncan SP-90's. I bought it used for $170 in a hard shell case. It plays and sounds better than any Gibson P-90 guitar I've tried or owned.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i love the clean tones of my Icon 2 Conv. with P-Rails. Put it through the gain channel of a Black Star amp and look out!

Comment

Put it through my Fender Ultra Chorus with a tube screamer set low and watch out!

Comment

I got an SDxt, Redline 1, and Redline 3. Clearly a Godin fan, I think they are one of the best buys out there (especially USED!). I got the Icon 2 Convertible on my radar but can't find a dealer (nearby)
                            with one to try out. From the specs/descrip it has the potential to be an amazing guitar.

Comment

Paid less than $300 for this naughty little girl:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Godin.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	5776758

Comment

I've got an Art and Lutherie acoustic, does that count?

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                                Originally posted by Securb
                                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                                X