Seymourized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymourized

I searched for "Seymourized" and was surprised no specific thread with this title came up. So I'm just starting this one to show guitars wired with Seymour Duncan pickups. In my experience, only Seymour Duncan pickups sound right, sound like the record, sound exactly like the legendary recordings I'm trying to get the sound of.

Re: Seymourized

1966 Stratocaster, left hand. The bridge pickup had been ripped out. A Seymour Duncan Antiquity sonically fit perfectly. As you throw the switch, you'd never detect a replacement pickup had been thrown into the mix.

Comment

SG with 1955 Seth Lover pickups. They aren't cosmetically matched, but they are sonically matched. I was trying to get the Clapton/Beano tone, and this does it in spades.

Comment

This is a 'spare parts' guitar for the LH 66 strat. There is some disparity between American and foreign part sizes, so you'll notice the pickguard is not totally screwed down, etc. But it works. The mid and rhythm pickups are tied to one tone control, while the treble pickup has its own no-load tone control, so I can make all 3 pickups match in tone, or roll the treble pickup to the no-load point and send it straight out like a normal strat. (I have never had a need to have the rhythm and mid pickups with different tone settings. In fact, it's always been a huge pain in the 'tuckus' for me to keep the tone setting for both in synch. One swipe of the forearm and I have to constantly adjust to keep the rhythm and mid the same.)

Last edited by beaubrummels; 06-04-2013, 11:44 PM. Reason: correcting a typo

Comment

1990 Firebird (30th Anniversary spec-for-spec reissue). This originally had these oversized, way overwound Gibson pickups (e.g. they measured about 24kohm!) in it that sounded totally wrong. Now it drives a vintage amp correctly and sounds just right.

Comment

You might notice the control plate on the first one (the Tele). Starting from the right, it's Volume, Pickup Selection, Broadcaster Neck Pickup Blend, Esquire/Nocaster tone switch (Dark, Straight Out or Tone Control), and Telecaster Tone Control. I wanted a Tele with all the tone options the earliest Teles had, but all on one guitar.

Comment

Very cool. Love the Tele.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                SG with 1955 Seth Lover pickups. They aren't cosmetically matched, but they are sonically matched. I was trying to get the Clapton/Beano tone, and this does it in spades.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43069[/ATTACH]
                Why the rings with the large pickguard like that?

Is that a rotary selector switch?
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

If you ever want to sell that 66 lefty Strat, contact me please. I am serious.
                  Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                  Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

love the SG and firebird.
                    Here are some of my seymourized axes:
                    ES-175. This has a jazz in the neck and 59 in the bridge. Both have Alnico 2 mags. 500k pots all round.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0336_zpsfe0d5aa8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	5768767
                    335 Dot. This now has Whole lotta humbuckers front and back.

Name:	DSC_0337_zpse5c597aa.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5768768
                    Strat plus Deluxe. SSL-1's and an ssl-5 in the bridge

Name:	DSC_0338_zps5f113863.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	5768769
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thank you for drilling unnecessary holes in left handed guitars. You're not Jimi Hendrix. STOP
                      Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        Why the rings with the large pickguard like that?

Is that a rotary selector switch?
                        If you get a stock SG and look at the pickups vs the string angle, the pickups line up like stair steps against the string. Putting rings on the pickups helped angle them so they matched the string angle.

I replaced the pickup selector switch with a pan/blend fader because I had a song where I was holding a chord and needed to move to the lead tone without stopping. I might put the switch back at some point, but I've found having a fader as a pickup selector is more musical and useful for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr 9finger View Post
                          Thank you for drilling unnecessary holes in left handed guitars. You're not Jimi Hendrix. STOP
                          Not sure what this means. I didn't drill additional holes in any of these instruments, or claim to be Jimi. If this is a reference to the 1966 guitar, that was painted more than 25 years before I had acquired it. I bought it because it enabled me to get a vintage Strat for a low price - because it had been aftermarket painted, had the treble pickup replaced and was left-hand, all of which it seems made it not popular on the sales floor.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            Not sure what this means. I didn't drill additional holes in any of these instruments, or claim to be Jimi. If this is a reference to the 1966 guitar, that was painted more than 25 years before I had acquired it. I bought it because it enabled me to get a vintage Strat for a low price - because it had been aftermarket painted, had the treble pickup replaced and was left-hand, all of which it seems made it not popular on the sales floor.
                            He's referring to the strap button hole you had to drill in the lower horn.

I don't know how anyone could play a Strat that way to be honest - the knobs digging into my forearm would be a deal breaker for sure.
                            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                              He's referring to the strap button hole you had to drill in the lower horn.

I don't know how anyone could play a Strat that way to be honest - the knobs digging into my forearm would be a deal breaker for sure.
                              I see. I guess you'd have to inspect this one close up. Far worse had been done to it before I got it, which is why I got it inexpensively. (some additional, and somewhat unprofessional, routing had been done around the pickups sometime in the 1970's)

As far as the strap button, when I bought the guitar the original hole already had been filled and painted over. The strap button had been relocated midway on the tongue of the neck join, facing the headstock and located between the 4-bolt plate and where the neck comes into the body.

Now which do you suppose did more to devalue the guitar, the strap button location, or the 1970's hand-chisel routing and home-garage paint job?

Comment

Working...
                              X