Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seymourized

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
    ^^ You've got some nice axes, man. Love the Gio and FR (ash body, yeah?). The colour of the LP is pretty cool as well; I see you got rid of those dorky wooden knobs .
    I Second That.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by bloodswords View Post

Hey mate, thanks for the compliments- the guitars I own are non-elitist (if there is such a category to begin with) models, largely appealing to me personally more than anything else. Yes, the BFG wooden knobs were done away with, so was the kill switch- didn't help me with anything. So I had a traditional 2 vol + 2 tone LP controls which work so well for me, I wouldn't want anything else.

I see you got some wicked, discontinued Ibanez guitars there. I regret not buying more of them back then... *sigh*
      I reckon expanding the BFG concept is something of a missed opportunity on Gibson's part - a P90/hb combo is a good one, and having more 'finished' guitars at various price points in the line would give it broader appeal. I've seen some horribly done BFGs, including one (a Gary Moore variant) where the maple top was splintered up by the router inside the cutaway! How the heck did they let that out? Yours looks sweet; one thing I like about them is the raw feel, especially the neck, and no inlays on the front of the fingerboard.

A kill switch would've been more practical as a tappable button, like on Buckethead's LP, rather than a toggle - too unwieldy for the stutter effects.

Yeah, I got onto these older Ibz a couple of years ago and love them. Everyone's crazy about RG550s and whatnot, so Roadstars fly under the radar; for the $$ they're among the best deals out there. I prefer them overwhelmingly because of the neck shape/finish (don't like Wizard profiles). Still gassing a bit for something in pink.

I notice you've got a 59/C in the RGD - pretty great pu, no?
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
        I notice you've got a 59/C in the RGD - pretty great pu, no?
        The RGD isn't my first encounter with the 59/Custom, it's this guitar:

Here are the pickups after Seymourization:

Neck: Jazz
        Mid: QP staggered
        Bridge: 59/Custom

I was happy with what the 59/Custom had to offer in that guitar so the RGD had to have it.
        Psychic Horns

Comment

Still on the topic of Gibson, I bought the Tribute 50s Les Paul as seen above. Again, the default pickups are not my kinda pickups, so...

Bridge: Distortion

I wanted a warm, contemporary clean & the Jazz is it (it's awesome with lots of drive, quite contrary to what the name suggests). The Distortion is my 'go-to' pickup if I have trouble deciding what might work.
          Psychic Horns

Comment

Still on the topic of Gibson, I bought the Tribute 50s Les Paul as seen above. Again, the default pickups are not my kinda pickups, so...

Bridge: Distortion

I wanted a warm, contemporary clean & the Jazz is it (it's awesome with lots of drive, quite contrary to what the name suggests). The Distortion is my 'go-to' pickup if I have trouble deciding what might work.
            Just curious, what benefits have you noticed in stringing it "wrap-tail"?

Comment

^^ Screw that, I wanna know what the benefits of the Lego cow are. More compression when recording?
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

It's a known fact that lego cows bring on more of a low-mid brown sound.
                Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Just curious, what benefits have you noticed in stringing it "wrap-tail"?
                  Benefits? Let's see now...

I screw the hardtail all the way down to the body, strings come into contact with the tune-o-matic bit as illustrated above.

So the wrapover stringing was problem-solving more than anything else. Someone in this forum (in another thread) told me off, saying this isn't necessary, if the tune-o bridge was lowered proportionately, no string contact would happen but for my case, the strings would jump off the saddles when I bend them, so the wrapover did it for me. I'm not trying to do a Bonamassa, chances are, I was already there before him.
                  Psychic Horns

Comment

Another Seymourized guitar...

Ibanez RG471...

Neck: '59
                    Middle: Classic Stack Plus
                    Bridge: Screamin' Demon

This was the initial ash body guitar that sounded awesome with a Demon in there. I had it replaced with a Distortion then a JB just to convince myself the Demon was it. So the Demon was re-installed & stayed put because it works. This prompted me to have the Demon in another ash body Ibanez which was already featured here- my FR420.
                    Psychic Horns

Comment

Benefits? Let's see now...

I screw the hardtail all the way down to the body, strings come into contact with the tune-o-matic bit as illustrated above.

So the wrapover stringing was problem-solving more than anything else. Someone in this forum (in another thread) told me off, saying this isn't necessary, if the tune-o bridge was lowered proportionately, no string contact would happen but for my case, the strings would jump off the saddles when I bend them, so the wrapover did it for me. I'm not trying to do a Bonamassa, chances are, I was already there before him.
                      I see. Cool. Yeah I wasn't going to criticize; just wanted to exchange information. In my case, I saw Jimmy Page had wraptail on one of his Les Pauls in the movie "Song Remains The Same", so I tried it on my Les Paul to try and figure out what the reason was. For me, I just seemed to anchor the string better and had more stable tuning. I could bend like crazy and didn't have to tune as much.

I tried pushing the stopbar all the way to the body also, but I wasn't getting a useful difference out of it. I've read about the increased break angle improving sustain, but I didn't get significantly different results.

You have a very nice collection of guitars, by the way.

Comment

My #1: Warmoth strat, Hot Rails bridge, Vintage Rails middle, & Cool Rails neck.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1238.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	5768885

And the newest member of the family, Ibanez Destroyer DT420 with a JB/Jazz combo.

Name:	CIMG1271.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	5768886
                        Ibanez Destroyer DT420
                        Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
                        Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
                        Gibson Les Paul Standard
                        Warmoth Custom Stratocaster

Peavey Transtube 2x12 EFX

Comment

Here's mine

Jazz/Custom

edit:
                          Squier Hot Rails Deluxe w/scalloped board

Last edited by Rand-O-Monium; 06-17-2013, 02:38 PM.
                          "Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Gibson SG Standard. Again, not a fan of those default Gibson buckers...

... so the covered JB/Jazz took over.
                            Psychic Horns

Comment

Fender ST-72...

Seymourized: Classic Stack Plus in all positions
                              Psychic Horns

Comment

Custom shop evh78 wound onto a p-90 base plate.

Name:	korina jr 3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	5768919

Comment

Working...
                                X