Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Legacy 3

I just placed the order...

The Kiesel Guitars Custom Shop makes pro quality guitars, basses, pickups and accessories for musicians of all levels. Made in the USA, ...

First new or new to me big boy amp in 20 years. No worries though... The Plexi is not going anywhere.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A video demo of Steve Vai's new signature Carvin head. As featured in the August issue of Guitarist magazine.

Ho ya folks,First trials of my new Carvin Legacy 3 head and it's 2x12 vintage 30 celestion speakers cabinet. Played with my Carvin ultra V custom shop guitar...

嗨 :) 各位看倌, 這個影片主要是Carvin Legacy 3 真空管音箱頭的開箱測試Legacy 3是由Carvin的工程師們與Steve Vai密切合作而打造出來的全真空管音箱頭Legacy 3為100W 3 channel的設計, 從Clean sound到High gain sound都有著不凡的表現...
    Last edited by AudioWonderland; 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM.

Re: Carvin Legacy 3

Congrats. I've heard nothing but good things about that amp. If I didn't have so many amps already I'd probably pick one up myself.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Let us know your thoughts once you've cranked it!

Comment

I think they're really cool amps. When I first tried it, I thought it was a little dark. Then I went home to my XTC 101B, and thought the same thing, but NEVER have any trouble cutting through with it. The Legacy 3 has a digital reverb which sounds pretty darned good. A great thing about it is the lead channel is very dynamic. Even if you have the gain set pretty high it will respond to your pick attack so I can see how a player like Steve Vai can be extremely expressive with it. I never tried the Carvin speakers, and the Carvin speakers I have tried weren't that great. However, running with V30/CL80 2x12 cab sounded really good. In fact, the CL80 might be the speaker for that amp if you are looking for a bit of brightness.

Comment

Carvin makes some great stuff. Hope to hear a review once you've finished giving it the going over a new amp gets
          . lol
          Good trades/deals with Dominus, Rich#6, Lazyfingers, SAVAGE DISTORTION and ErikH.

Comment

Frick yea
            I been looking at the Mikro V3 and lusting
            If I didnt already own two Carvin Amps ...........

Mine have been great

We will be waiting on your review
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
              Let us know your thoughts once you've cranked it!
              No question of it..

Comment

Originally posted by UberMetalDood View Post
                I think they're really cool amps. When I first tried it, I thought it was a little dark. Then I went home to my XTC 101B, and thought the same thing, but NEVER have any trouble cutting through with it. The Legacy 3 has a digital reverb which sounds pretty darned good. A great thing about it is the lead channel is very dynamic. Even if you have the gain set pretty high it will respond to your pick attack so I can see how a player like Steve Vai can be extremely expressive with it. I never tried the Carvin speakers, and the Carvin speakers I have tried weren't that great. However, running with V30/CL80 2x12 cab sounded really good. In fact, the CL80 might be the speaker for that amp if you are looking for a bit of brightness.
                The Legacy cabs come with V30's but I don't order a cab. I have Scumback loaded 2x12's that I use with the Marshalls but mostly I will be using it with the custom ISO cab I built that is loaded with an Eminence Tonespotter

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  Frick yea
                  I been looking at the Mikro V3 and lusting
                  If I didnt already own two Carvin Amps ...........

Mine have been great

We will be waiting on your review
                  I considered the V3 but it just had to many features and voicings packed into each channel. I get what Carvin is trying to do and the flexibility has a certain appeal but its not where I am looking to go personally. I have the sounds I want in my head and don't need that kind of flexibility. The Legacy was a better fit for what I want so I went for it. I also looked at a Traynor ycs50h and a 5150 3 50w head. The Traynor was huge bang for the buck and I would recommend anyone on the hunt to check them out but the Legacy voicing was just more to my liking from the clips I was able to find. The 5150 also had its charms but the higher gain sounds are not something I would use and when I backed of the gain it started to sound a lot like a Marshall which is a sound I have covered well already.

So in the end, I chose the Legacy primarily for the unique voicing the amp had. The routing flexibility, midi capability, variable power levels etc sealed the deal for me. Just need to wait and see if it pans out in the real world which is why the 10 day return policy was a big sell point too since I could not try any of them out in person.

I have my eye on the Vintage 16 as well. That would be a tough sell though as I have that sweet clean tone covered with my Fenders. If I buy another it will be something with big vox chime in its repertoire
                  Last edited by AudioWonderland; 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM.

Comment

The amp arrived yesterday. Took it for a quick spin in the basement which is notorious for making amps sound harsh and brittle and this was no different but it was best sounding amp so far in that environment. Its true this amp feels a bit dark tonally, especially when you are used to bright sounding Superleads. My cabs and speakers probably contributed as well since they were spec'd for the Marshalls. That said, as long as you are not afraid to turn the knobs you can get whatever you need.

I tested out the various power levels. At the lower volumes I was using there was no discernable difference between 50w and 100w. The 15w setting got a little more harsh. I suspect they are pushing design limits to get to 15w. I also felt that turning the individual channel volumes up and using the master to reduce over all volume resulted in a lot less harshness.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow night when I will have time to wind it up through the ISO cab and record some samples.

Comment

awesome! Congrats!! look forward to the full review
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        awesome! Congrats!! look forward to the full review

YUP, same here !
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I'm interested in hearing more. I have the full size V3 and it rocks, but I was considering the Legay 3 as the next amp in my stable. The demos I've heard are pretty awesome.
                          MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

I absolutely agree, brilliant amp, so much depth and headroom, there is almost an elastic texture to the sound. I use V30s too, but also have a Jensen 10" Tornado cab which mixes very well with the V30s if you're looking for a brighter sound, however the presence controls have the most scope I have ever heard on an amp and they brighten the perceived dark tones no end. I play both rock and modern country (not the twangy stuff) and the amp adds so much in both styles

Comment

I find that using the 15w option I'm better off using the channel volume controls to boost and keeping the master lower, however on 50w and 100w, its vice versa, ramp up the master and then fade in the channels volumes for more headroom

Comment

Working...
                              X