No announcement yet.

Anyone here use single coils for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone here use single coils for metal?

...drive a ten-penny nail with a tack hammer , but why not just use a great big ball peen?
    Bad example. A ball peen hammer is not used for driving nails at all. This is just another example of using the wrong tool for the job.

Ball peen to drive nails=single coil for metal

Comment

I actually prefer a Hot Rails in the bridge over lots of full size humbuckers I've heard.
      Ibanez Destroyer DT420
      Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
      Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
      Gibson Les Paul Standard
      Warmoth Custom Stratocaster

Peavey Transtube 2x12 EFX

Comment

Originally posted by MaidenTexas84 View Post
        I actually prefer a Hot Rails in the bridge over lots of full size humbuckers I've heard.

I wouldnt really call that a "single coil" though. Its single coil in size certainly not in tone absolutely not in construction.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Jake E. Lee used a SG Jr. with Ozzy sometimes. They had one P-90.

I know he used a Charvel alot with Ozzy.
          Last edited by blues; 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM. Reason: *

Comment

So Single sized humbuckers dont count? haha

Comment

Sho' do.

Everytime I switch to my DiMarzio Area '67 in the middle of my Ibby with some distortion, I'm instantly in power metal mode. Sounds so damn good I tell ya what.

Comment

Paul Gilbert does. I keep forgetting about him. When TLD said Dimarzio I remembered.
                Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

It is hard to pull it off with true single coils and stacked single coils. Most that try are lead players in the progressive metal genre who have keyboards or rhythm guitarists to fill in the mix. The only true single coil that I have tried that can do a decent job is the SSL5.

Comment

Originally posted by MaidenTexas84 View Post
                    A Tele with a Hot Rail in the bridge will make most Les Paul's run and hide!
                    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                      So Single sized humbuckers dont count? haha
                      I think it depends. A hot rails or something similar is obviously made to be a straight-on humbucker in a single coil size. Now if we are talking about Dimarzio Areas, those are a lot more single coil like (just they wanted to eliminate the hum). Not a "true" single coil, but I think they count.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                        I think it depends. A hot rails or something similar is obviously made to be a straight-on humbucker in a single coil size. Now if we are talking about Dimarzio Areas, those are a lot more single coil like (just they wanted to eliminate the hum). Not a "true" single coil, but I think they count.
                        What your talking about is the difference between a noiseless single coil and a single coil sized humbucker.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Single coils are only 'not the best tool for the job' if your knowledge of metal stops at what the 80s and 90s had to offer (the thrash, death and groove metal bands).
                          Heavy guitar based music has diversified a lot since then, and there are plenty of sub-genres/styles where single coils would work perfectly.

Comment

As much as I love the leads from a strat neck single I just couldn't deal with the noise when I was working with singles, I didn't bother with noiseless singles and went straight to mini hums for replacements in my first guitar, 3 lil 59s.......

Comment

sound demos or it doesn't exist single coils for metal.

Comment

Not live usually, but in the studio I record everything with my live setup and then to balance the tone I throw in a few Strats and Teles into the mix to balance out the sound. This entire song was tracked with two Tele. I did overdub the chunky chorus part with a Les Paul though.

Vocalist/Guitarist of Megaton, a Stoner/Sludge Metal band
                                www.soundcloud.com/megatonomaha
                                www,facebook.com/megatonomaha
                                www.reverbnation.com/megatonomaha

Comment

Working...
                                X