banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Hey all, just wondering on any feedback thus far from any Black Winter owners??? I really want to try one as soon as they go on sale.
    DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
    Hey all, just wondering on any feedback thus far from any Black Winter owners??? I really want to try one as soon as they go on sale.
    High output! Pretty good for rythm and chords, but brash when it comes to solo and lead work. Not a clean and nice. It seems like it self-distorts the upper mids, making it aggressive as hell! (it might be that the rig I use on the Kemper that makes it act that way). Actually cleans up pretty nice with the use of volume knob though. Compared to a EMG het set, the lows are a little more woofy, making the EMG seems anemic in comparison.

I'm actually thinking of trying it with a 250k pot to tame the highs a wee bit.
    Last edited by Dahla; 07-11-2013, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
      High output! Pretty good for rythm and chords, but brash when it comes to solo and lead work. Not a clean and nice. It seems like it self-distorts the upper mids, making it aggressive as hell! (it might be that the rig I use on the Kemper that makes it act that way). Actually cleans up pretty nice with the use of volume knob though. Compared to a EMG het set, the lows are a little more woofy, making the EMG seems anemic in comparison.

I'm actually thinking of trying it with a 250k pot to tame the highs a wee bit.
      And anyone able to compare with Invader? Not sure why the neck model is much reduced (much more than Black Winder or Distortion neck pickups) - but seems like an Invader pickup in the bridge position is hard to beat. Would like to know how Black Winter and Distortion compare............and if you had to choose one for the neck and maybe even rhythm, which of the three would it be (Invader, Black Winter, Distortion)???

Comment

Ola made a cool video comparing the the black winter and the DD
        DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

Comment

I have the invader in a B.C. Rich KKV (hard tail, not with the vib), and the invader is alot thicker down low, and not as grainy up high as BW.

If I has to choose between them, I'd say that for me the distortions seems like a better fit. I'm not giving up the BW just yet though.

Comment

I played with the BW tonight, and I've got to say: after a little TLC and new strings I decided to play a little with the pickup height. It made all the difference! After recording a few clips and running the sound through my usual daw stuff, the sound is scary close to what I have recorded with an ESP with the het set! They blended really well.

Totally awesome!

If I doubted this pup before, the doubt is now gone. These pups are staying in the explorer!

Comment

Share a clip if you can>>>>>

Comment

I played with the BW tonight, and I've got to say: after a little TLC and new strings I decided to play a little with the pickup height. It made all the difference! After recording a few clips and running the sound through my usual daw stuff, the sound is scary close to what I have recorded with an ESP with the het set! They blended really well.

Totally awesome!

If I doubted this pup before, the doubt is now gone. These pups are staying in the explorer!
                That's good to hear, because that's the same guitar I'm considering putting a set into. One question though, does the BW neck just sound like the bridge version, or is there some variation in the tone? I'm sold on at least putting a BW bridge in, but like to have those glassy, bluesy, bell like tones in the neck tones.
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                  That's good to hear, because that's the same guitar I'm considering putting a set into. One question though, does the BW neck just sound like the bridge version, or is there some variation in the tone? I'm sold on at least putting a BW bridge in, but like to have those glassy, bluesy, bell like tones in the neck tones.
                  The neck is darker for shure. And it's pretty dry, sounds cool with volume rolled back a little for cleans. I'll upload some clips tonight.

Comment

Two quick clips.

One with distortion and one clean. Playing just bridge, then bridge + neck and then just neck. Amp is Kemper, played through a Mesa patch.

All I had time for right now. Sorry guys...

Comment

High output! Pretty good for rythm and chords, .
                      Nice to know I am thinking about putting one in the neck position on my metal Tele.

Comment

Two quick clips.

One with distortion and one clean. Playing just bridge, then bridge + neck and then just neck. Amp is Kemper, played through a Mesa patch.

Hey, I appreciate you taking the time. I use my Triple Rec when playing with my band, so those clips work well for me. And I like what I heard enough that when I get the extra money, I'm definitely going to get a set for my Explorer, and maybe a few of my other guitars, depending on how well they work out in the Explorer. Ola's demo vid got my attention, but actually hearing them in an Explorer made up my mind.

Thanks again.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

wonder what one of these bad boys would sound like in an alder strat?

Comment

Two quick clips.

Do you have a Marshall patch in your kemper? Could I hear that?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                              Hey, I appreciate you taking the time. I use my Triple Rec when playing with my band, so those clips work well for me. And I like what I heard enough that when I get the extra money, I'm definitely going to get a set for my Explorer, and maybe a few of my other guitars, depending on how well they work out in the Explorer. Ola's demo vid got my attention, but actually hearing them in an Explorer made up my mind.

Thanks again.
                              Where did you hear it in an explorer???

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X