banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I would say play with the pickup height on the Winter first. I had my BW bridge close to the strings a while back, and I wasn't liking the tone. Backing the pickup down a bit made a big difference, allowed a lot of harmonics to come through and left me with a great rhythm chug sound for metal (and great tones for non-metal, too, but that's another conversation).

Comment

Originally posted by NeglectedField View Post
      I'm glad there's already a thread on this. I have a Schecter KM-6 (mk.1) with 'Blackened' BW's in - not that I know what's different about them to regular BWs. It's a swamp ash body, maple neck, ebony fretboard. While I like the tightness and aggression. (of the bridge pickup at least), I am finding it incredibly brash with a noticeably 'vowelled' sound, like a cocked wah. It's like a nannnggg sound. Not to mention that it's a bit 'much' as a neck pickup where something alnico would be more tasteful. I'm doing my best to appreciate I've come from using a basswood Ibanez RG321 with a (ceramic) BKP Warpig to something much brighter again.

Is this to do with the body wood, the pots or perhaps some specific high-mid frequency that these 'Blackened' BWs have? Someone on another forum suggested swapping the allen-style polepieces for regular flathead screw types but I'm not sure if that's going to make a noticeable difference or if I risk damaging the pickup.

I really liked the DD I had in my Ibanez S320 and how surprisingly all-round it was, not to mention a very useable metal pickup. Then again that was in a mahogany body.

So what do you reckon, do you think the DD is a viable alternative to the BW, even in a bright tonewood, perhaps paired with the 59 in the neck? Or some other combo, or even a mod to my existing BWs (or pots/circuitry) to ameliorate the aforementioned harshness?
      I had a KM-6 Mk II, that came stock with Nazgul bridge/Sentient neck. I changed the Nazgul out for a (Standard model, not "Blackened") Black Winter bridge, and really liked it. I got rid of the KM-6 Mk II (super-thin neck just wasn't right for my hands), but kept the BW and put it in a Schecter Banshee Elite-6. The Banshee is similar to that KM-6 II, being a swamp ash body, neck-through, ebony fretboard, but also has a maple cap. It like the BW in the Banshee,as well. Regarding the Duncan Distortion, I can only relate my experience but it does seem to like mahogany better. I had a Distortion bridge in an older Jackson Soloist SLSMG, (mahogany body and neck), that was absolutely perfect, paired with a 59. But I did try a Distortion in that KM-6 Mk II, and hated it. Can't recall many details about the sound because I took it out pretty quick. But yea I think what Masta'C said about changing out the hex poles will help and also height adjustments like WeepingMinotaur recommends. Black oxide hex-head screws are #5-40 x 1/2" I believe and you can buy them cheaply in bulk.
      Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
      Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
      Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
      Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Originally posted by Sun King View Post
        I had a KM-6 Mk II, that came stock with Nazgul bridge/Sentient neck. I changed the Nazgul out for a (Standard model, not "Blackened") Black Winter bridge, and really liked it. I got rid of the KM-6 Mk II (super-thin neck just wasn't right for my hands), but kept the BW and put it in a Schecter Banshee Elite-6. The Banshee is similar to that KM-6 II, being a swamp ash body, neck-through, ebony fretboard, but also has a maple cap. It like the BW in the Banshee,as well. Regarding the Duncan Distortion, I can only relate my experience but it does seem to like mahogany better. I had a Distortion bridge in an older Jackson Soloist SLSMG, (mahogany body and neck), that was absolutely perfect, paired with a 59. But I did try a Distortion in that KM-6 Mk II, and hated it. Can't recall many details about the sound because I took it out pretty quick. But yea I think what Masta'C said about changing out the hex poles will help and also height adjustments like WeepingMinotaur recommends. Black oxide hex-head screws are #5-40 x 1/2" I believe and you can buy them cheaply in bulk.
        Aren't hex head ones the type already in the Blackened version? I was thinking putting some of these in instead, if they're the right kind? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/39036444567...SABEgL0HvD_BwE

Comment

Originally posted by NeglectedField View Post
          Aren't hex head ones the type already in the Blackened version? I was thinking putting some of these in instead, if they're the right kind? https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/39036444567...SABEgL0HvD_BwE
          Yea my bad- I was thinking of my own Black Winter, which has the regular filister types (If I were to change those out I'd use the hex heads i was talking about.) Sorry about the mix-up! I still think the Black Winter is your best bet in that guitar though.
          Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
          Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
          Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
          Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

You'll want #5-40 threaded pole pieces if you're going to swap them on the BW. I believe the metric sizes linked above are more appropriate for Asian-made (and possibly some European-made) pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
              ...A buddy is recommending I lower the BW to get rid of that annoying high end, which I'm going to try, but I figured I'd come here and ask the experts. For a baseline, I play primarily old school extreme metal with some weird stuff thrown in (think early-Voi Vod). I've had an IBZ-USA (tone zone clone), Invader and Super Distortion in this guitar before and liked the Invader the best, but it didn't sit well in a mix with my other guitars - hence looking for a replacement.

One of my other guitars is a Soloist with DDs in it, and I like that tone much better. My other 6-string is a KM6 with Schecter Apocalypse pups. My 7s: an LTD H7 with a custom/59 set (my fav) and a Jackson (heavily customized) JS22-7 with a set of Dimarzio Imperiums (my second fave).

Yeah man, the Winters do not have to be close to the strings to be effective.
              Throw out the usual rules for pickups with Black Winters, because they are their own animal and react to everything in a completely different way from normal high output pickups. This is evident in the amazing clean and slightly overdriven sounds you can get with these pickups.

Pickup height is a factor though.

Good luck and enjoy the tone chase my friend \m/,

~LD
              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Installed Black Winters in my Schecter Omen Extreme 6, they scream, sustains is unbelievable, played through my DRZ MAZ18, the strings sound like they breathe air. Thinking about lowering the pickups for more compression with more distance between the magnets and the strings. I like these even better than the Antiquity pups.

Comment

Glad you're liking them! Going from Antiquities to Black Winters is a pretty dang big jump, but they really are great pickups and a lot of tones can certainly be coaxed out of them.

Comment

dbrich I have my Black Winters set fairly low now from the strings and I do think it's effective, let us know how the results are for you I'd love to see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                      Yeah man, the Winters do not have to be close to the strings to be effective.
                      Throw out the usual rules for pickups with Black Winters, because they are their own animal and react to everything in a completely different way from normal high output pickups. This is evident in the amazing clean and slightly overdriven sounds you can get with these pickups.

Pickup height is a factor though.

Good luck and enjoy the tone chase my friend \m/,

~LD
                      Thanks. I've already moved on though. Bought an Elysian Trident for this one. But, I *might* try putting the Black Winter in my KM6 before I sell it.

Comment

I replaced the screws with fillister head ones and the issue has improved slightly but I'm undecided as to whether it's enough. It's still very 'vowelled'. I'm just scared if I hunt for other pickups that they'll have the same problem or won't have the same tasty tight tracking which is otherwise such a draw for these babies.

Comment

Update: The Elysian Trident II arrived and it's dramatically better (for my tastes at least) than the Black Winter. No ice-pickey highs, stands out/cuts through the mix really well. Very defined lows that give it a great growl and it cleans up really nicely when doing non-OD stuff. Like it so much I'm looking to get a set for my KM6 now, too.

Comment

I've had my BW set in a Charvel Desolation (mahogany body, mahogany/rosewood bolt-on neck) for 2,5 years now. At first, I wasn't 100% impressed. Had some issues with too much "bite" on my drive channel that could only be dialed out with an OD/boost pedal.

I don't know what happened but the tone seems to have "aged" well (maybe because the wood aged too?). Now I'm pretty sure I will install them in my other "metal" guitars someday. Been torn between BW and Alt8 for a while, but I'm not sure if Alt8 can clean up as good as BW. The latter is something I absolutely LOVE about the Black Winters.

Comment

• Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                              Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I would say play with the pickup height on the Winter first. I had my BW bridge close to the strings a while back, and I wasn't liking the tone. Backing the pickup down a bit made a big difference, allowed a lot of harmonics to come through and left me with a great rhythm chug sound for metal (and great tones for non-metal, too, but that's another conversation).
                              Agreed, after a year of these in my RR1, I have found this to be very true. Screw with the screws, and overall height.
                              Amps: EVH 5150 iii & old Laney cabs with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks. Guitars: 2014 Jackson USA RR1, 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1986 Charvel San Dimas, Warmoth Lefty Strats w/ Callaham bridge. Pedals: Strymon, Dunlop/MXR, ISP...

Comment

• Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
                                Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I've had my BW set in a Charvel Desolation (mahogany body, mahogany/rosewood bolt-on neck) for 2,5 years now. At first, I wasn't 100% impressed. Had some issues with too much "bite" on my drive channel that could only be dialed out with an OD/boost pedal.

I don't know what happened but the tone seems to have "aged" well (maybe because the wood aged too?). Now I'm pretty sure I will install them in my other "metal" guitars someday. Been torn between BW and Alt8 for a while, but I'm not sure if Alt8 can clean up as good as BW. The latter is something I absolutely LOVE about the Black Winters.
                                I have found that to be happy I have to accept some kind of trade off. With the BW I have such clarity, along with explosive attack - even in Legato - that to deal with the side effects is well worth it, the mid/high peak and the lack of woody Tone that I would get from a A2, is gone. Trade that for the type of focus / attack I want from my RR1 and I am close to perfectly happy, finally, with the the BW set, yeah, it's not perfect in there, but it's close. If I could adjust the eq notch, that would help. At this point, I plan to add two mini toggles. CooL.
                                Last edited by bldrst; 08-01-2020, 06:28 PM.
                                Amps: EVH 5150 iii & old Laney cabs with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks. Guitars: 2014 Jackson USA RR1, 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1986 Charvel San Dimas, Warmoth Lefty Strats w/ Callaham bridge. Pedals: Strymon, Dunlop/MXR, ISP...

Comment

Working...
                                X