banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
    Do you have a Marshall patch in your kemper? Could I hear that?
    Yeah, I could do that. What Marshall?

And I have them in a explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
      Yeah, I could do that. What Marshall?

And I have them in a explorer.
      I play a TSL using the second channel , orange , as my rhythm, gain on 7, bass 10, mids 8, treble 7, presence 7, playing thrash metal like slayer and sacred reich
      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

I have that amp.

I'll work out some Slayer tribute riffs. It's 12:33 AM here now, and I have some beers in me so it'll be later today though.

Comment

I have that amp.

I'll work out some Slayer tribute riffs. It's 12:33 AM here now, and I have some beers in me so it'll be later today though.
          No rush mate, I'm just blown away that you'd do this for me! I'm freakin out a bit
          DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

Comment

Originally posted by loversmoon View Post
            wonder what one of these bad boys would sound like in an alder strat?
            buy one

return policy if you dont like

how badly do you wana know?!
            -IM

Comment

not bad enough yet. I went with a dimarzio breed for the moment. However I am still very interested in this pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                No rush mate, I'm just blown away that you'd do this for me! I'm freakin out a bit
                Ok Mr. Lord, I've done a little recording. The Marshall patch I had were a TSL with "Barry clover Mod". It's a little different with the gain staging, so I don't know if it's correct or not. At least it's an explorer with the BW's through a Marshall. I tried to think Slayer when I recorded this, but it's hard building a "song" in an hour. So it's a just jamming with myself, the drums are done fast and dirty using the Slayer preset in Superiour Drummer etc. You get the idea...

I'd thought I'd throw in a solo at the end, but I dropped it...

Comment

Originally posted by loversmoon View Post
                  wonder what one of these bad boys would sound like in an alder strat?
                  I love how the distortion sounds in a maple neck/alder body guitar. I figure the black winter will respond similarly to those woods. In other words, it'll prolly sound great...

I am adding the angry fire face just because it should sound great, but also brutal and black metalish..

Comment

No feedback so far. I believe they're wax potted.
                    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Ok Mr. Lord, I've done a little recording. The Marshall patch I had were a TSL with "Barry clover Mod". It's a little different with the gain staging, so I don't know if it's correct or not. At least it's an explorer with the BW's through a Marshall. I tried to think Slayer when I recorded this, but it's hard building a "song" in an hour. So it's a just jamming with myself, the drums are done fast and dirty using the Slayer preset in Superiour Drummer etc. You get the idea...

I'd thought I'd throw in a solo at the end, but I dropped it...
                      Cool dude thanks for that!!! My TSL has more attack than that, but heard the growl in the mids and I like like it alot! Thanks for going to all that trouble again!

sigpic

Comment

We sent a set to one of the big "Metal Guitar Companies" to check out. Here's what they said:

We have tested the Black Winter set A/B’ing it with a JB/’59 set and a Custom Custom/Jazz set. It definitely has a unique voicing. The Neck pickup is the strong point of this set. It sounds so good it could be used for rhythm and lead. When clean the Neck really shines and chimes with low end as well. When dirty it blasts away with authority. It puts the ’59 and Jazz in its place for sure. We liked the clarity of the pickup no matter if the amp was cranked with distortion or nice and clean. The Bridge was a little uncontrollable with feedback not that it deterred us from crushing away at riffs. It has an aggressive tone that I can see why it is called the Black Winter. Maybe a little too aggressive for our liking but still an amazing pickup. Perfect for heavy rhythm. In all, they are a great set of pickups that are worthy of any metal guitar.
                        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                          We sent a set to one of the big "Metal Guitar Companies" to check out. Here's what they said:
                          Haha! I'm not surprized. I have a special trick that stops feedback on all my DD, PATB2 and my SD custom shop 'Tyrannotitan' humbuckers from feedbacking. I contruct and place a 'rubber foot' under the bridge humbucker. This means I can walk within a meter of my Marshall TSL and I get no pickup oscilation feedback.

sigpic

Comment

Well, today was payday and figured out how to juggle a couple bills to order a set. So I double checked to see if Musician's Friend started listing them on their site, but still couldn't find any BWs. So I went over to Zzounds.....and here's the annoying part. The page said that there was only one set left, so I went ahead and ordered it. I got an email confirming my order, but the site still says that there's 1 set left. Lol.

So sooner or later I'll have a Black Winter set of my own........hopefully sooner.
                            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Greetings all,

I am new to the forum (long time lurker) and I was invited to join after a couple of posts on the Seymour Duncan Facebook page about my experience with the Black Winters.

Tech Specs:
                              Gibson Explorer Pro with all mahogany body.
                              CTS Pots wired Bridge Volume, Neck Volume and Neck Tone.
                              Jensen .022 Paper in oil Capacitor

Playing Experiences:

Clean - These pickups are beautifully snappy in all the right ways. Considering they were designed for the freaking Black Metal community, they are superb clean pickups. I played clean through the Green Channel of my Mesa Roadking and my Stiletto and everything I needed was there. They were funky, they were chimey, they were articulate as a pickup could be and I went from Gershwin's Summertime, to The Chilipepper's Higher Ground and then to The Ventures Surfin and Spying and they sounded great.

Getting Dirty - The yellow and orange channels of my Boogie LOVED these pickups. The Winters are responsive to the volume and tone controls and there is a particular....almost cocked wah presence that channels your inner Iommi. At this point, an overdrive is just gilding the lily but when I use my Maxon OD820 there is only minor amp hum. Man...everything just works.

This is why you came here
                              - Ladies and Gentlemen, the Red Channel of the Mesa/ Boogie Roadking was BORN to sleep with Black Winters. Absolutely everything you can think of is "picked up". Single note runs are beautifully and musically searing with a usable top end that is not "ice pickish" Tremolo style speed picking on the low strings is so clear, it is like you are playing slow. Pick scrapes on the unwound strings become freakishly clear.

Overall, the Black Winters possess their own tone. People seem to want to compare them to Distortions, but distortions are much much cleaner and don't have the same completely dialed in tightness which to me makes them a different animal all together.

There is a purr underneath the distortion...almost like you are using a fuzz on 1 which adds to the crazyness and makes everything tighter and it is because of this that you can pretty much start using your overdrive as a doorstop especially at high volumes.

If anyone has any specific questions, please don't hesitate to pm me. I don't do any YouTube videos because they are seldom accurate.

So that is my big 1st post here.

Take care all.

Play on.

Never stop.

~LD
                              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                                Evan, could you get Scott Ian or Kerry king to try Black Winter bridge?????

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X