banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
    There is a purr underneath the distortion...almost like you are using a fuzz on 1 which adds to the crazyness and makes everything tighter and it is because of this that you can pretty much start using your overdrive as a doorstop especially at high volumes.
    I agree, and it's totally awesome when it comes to riffage. But when playing on the higher strings, it's a little rough (especially the G string). There is no smoothness, good or bad as that may be.

Comment

Okay,

TEST #2: The Mesa/ Boogie Blue Angel (4 EL84 mode + heavy reverb)

I can't get over the Swiss Army Knife Qualities of these pickups.

I rolled the volume off to about 7 and I get whatever clean, jazzy, funky, sexy, alluring, slutty, bell-like sound I want!?!?!

I've used an alnico 5 in my neck position for decades now and I can't get over how the triple ceramic magnet yields every clean sound that has been in my head but not quite there.

The Black Winters track cleans so tightly.

That's pretty much all I have to say today. I figured if any of my amps could find a flaw, it would be the Blue Angel.

More to come from the land of the BLACK WINTER.

~LD
      Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 07-30-2013, 10:37 AM. Reason: 4 EL84 not 6V6 ;p
      For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

TEST #2: The Mesa/ Boogie Blue Angel (4 6v6 mode + heavy reverb)

~LD
        How did you get 4 6v6's in your Blue Angel? The one I used to have only had 2 with 4 EL84's
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          How did you get 4 6v6's in your Blue Angel? The one I used to have only had 2 with 4 EL84's
          It's quite a simple mod really. You just type in the wrong information and then there you have it.

4 EL84's it is my friend. Thank you.

~LD

EDIT: For all other readers, it is important to realize that the point of my post was not about the tubes, but that I played these "Black Metal" pickups through a very bluesy and jazzy and extremely responsive amplifier and the Black Winters still sounded like they were home. If any amp (at least in my collection) is going to reveal an inherent $h!ttiness in a pickup, it is going to be The Blue Angel.

And my original post has been edited to show that I used 4 EL84's.
          Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM. Reason: Edit marked.
          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

It's quite a simple mod really. You just type in the wrong information and then there you have it.

4 EL84's it is my friend. Thank you.

~LD

EDIT: For all other readers, it is important to realize that the point of my post was not about the tubes, but that I played these "Black Metal" pickups through a very bluesy and jazzy and extremely responsive amplifier and the Black Winters still sounded like they were home. If any amp (at least in my collection) is going to reveal an inherent $h!ttiness in a pickup, it is going to be The Blue Angel.

And my original post has been edited to show that I used 4 EL84's.
            Hmm, sounds like my BW set is going to be a lot of fun in front of my Blues Jr with a dirt box pushing it. :P
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
              Hmm, sounds like my BW set is going to be a lot of fun in front of my Blues Jr with a dirt box pushing it. :P
              No joke man,

I will try my set with my Champ tonight. It won't be exactly the same as your junior but I think the reaction to the pickups might be in the same zip code.

Now I'm psyched to get home and try this!!!

Comment

Well, you know uh, it just happens that we like to pigeonhole high output pickups into strictly metal applications.
                It's nice to know you don't make it a dogma.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                  Well, you know uh, it just happens that we like to pigeonhole high output pickups into strictly metal applications.
                  It's nice to know you don't make it a dogma.
                  There's no doubt pickups will surprise you. I used to run a Dimebucker in my Les Paul and it would twang like a mofo when split (my LP has push/pull volume pots).

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                    There's no doubt pickups will surprise you. I used to run a Dimebucker in my Les Paul and it would twang like a mofo when split (my LP has push/pull volume pots).
                    The original design for the Dimebucker is beyond sick. The L500XL is an amazing bridge pickup. (I've never used one in the neck.)

I fell asleep at a quarter to 8 last night, so I never got a chance to try out my Black Winter through the Fender Champ combination.

I'll get on it because I'm totally curious.

Comment

BLACK WINTER SESSIONS: Part III: The Handwired Fender Champ

Eeep. Wow. Okay.

This is gonna be a little predictable to the vets and I had fun trying out this odd couple combination.

So here we have it, this week's ultimate freak on a leash pickup paired with a standby tone generator with decades of history.

Amp on high volume from 12 o'clock to max:
                      When the Winters were turned down about half way the amp was clean...not chimey at all...very full. It was usable but wouldn't be my first choice for a lot of things and I must say, The Cult's Edie intro sounded very nice with this pairing.

Whoa...when I cranked the Winter's volume, $h!t just got outta hand. The Champ took on a whole "running on the ragged edge" dying Fuzz pedal vibe that was not 100% useful but still realy cool. Think High on Fire or Sleep. It needed some production to be REALLY good, and it is definitely something I will revisit. Let's put it this way; the intro to High on Fire's Snakes For the Divine was nasaly and lackluster but the riffing part sounded awesome so I would call the pairing of Cranked Black Winters into a cranked '57 Fender Champ a rhythm only pairing.
                      [Personal note: There are no longer any traces of dust on the amp]

AMP VOLUME AT 3:

Here we go!!! With the Winters cranked, I got a great (above standard) humbucker through a Fender tone that was very clean and reminded me of playing through my Blues Deluxe (which needs repair )

I got pretty good surf tones with the bridge pickup and everything else was a thick funk vibe when I needed it to be and the intro to Edie sounded better here.

Turning the volume on the pickups down at this point just made everything really quiet and excellent for practice and nothing really recordable.

Now, clearly, this is not an intended pairing. The Black Winters were most likely not designed with a 5watt hand wired '57 Champ in mind.
                      The purpose of this exercise was to force me out of this seemingly endless honeymoon phase I'm in with The Black Winters and it didn't work.
                      I STILL think these pickups can do anything and can be dialed in to sound good anywhere. (For the pedantic crowd, let's not get crazy...I'm not trying them with an acoustic amp )

I'm feeling a Marshall session coming on next.
                      My JCM 2000 needs new tubes and gets no sound whatsoever, so it is going to be the Winters and a 1988 2204 (JCM 800 50watt for the non-geeks)

See you next time.

~LD
                      Last edited by Lucy Diamond; 08-01-2013, 07:04 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

My order of pots, caps & tubes showed up the other day, and I finally had the chance to install the Black Winters into my Explorer today. I've only had the chance to play them through my little Peavey Vypyr practice amp and my Fender Blues Jr so far, and A/B'd the Explorer woth my Les Paul which has a Screamin' Demon & a Pearly Gates. Here are my initial impressions:

With the Vypyr:
                        Compared to the Demon in my LP the BW bridge has more fizz on top and has more of a grind/growl in the mids. The tightness of the bottom is comparable, but I had to dial back the gain on the amp to get the clarity I wanted with the BWs. But bear in mind, this is a cheap.crappy practice amp, and not a good tube amp, which I will be playing through tomorrow at practice. And of course the Demon's output isn't even in the same ballpark. As far as the BW neck compared to the Pearly Gates goes, again, the BW has more on top, the mids seem to hit at a higher frequency, and the low end is a lot tighter than the PG. The BW neck is excellent for pristine clean stuff. It's got a beautiful chime to it, but it doesn't do bluesy or funky stuff as well as the PG. But for the music my band plays, the BW neck will work just fine. And don't get me wrong, with the volume rolled back it will do some funk, but just not as well as the PG. But never the less, it's staying put. I like it for what it is. It's the first humbucker I've had that I don't feel the desire to split for clean stuff.

Through the Blues Jr:
                        I had about the same luck Lucy did. It didn't sound all that great, but then again the only guitar I have that sounds good through that thing is my Telecaster. So par for the course, lol.

Tomorrow, I'll be playing through at my Mesa Triple Rec at band practice, and if I remember I'll bring my little video camera.

ETA: Forgot to mention; I also re-wired the Explorer. It now has one volume, one tone, 3-way switch, Bourns 500k pots, and a big fat 600 volt .047uf Orange Drop cap.

ETA2: Also, there shouldn't be any need for '50s style wiring or treble bleed with these pups. They seem to maintain plenty of treble with the volume rolled back. And I've started out with the pups flush with the pickup rings and like them there so far. I may experiment with height later on, but for now it's good.
                        Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-03-2013, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Hi again...guess who.

Just on a lark the other day, I threw my Bogner ecstacy red pedal through the clean channel of my Road King and the Winters made it freakin scream.

Absolutely no excess noise. It cleaned up pretty well with the volume knob, considering it's a pedal manufactured by the people who make Randalls now and the gain was set to ridiculous.

It has been over two weeks and I am still in love.

~LD

Comment

Well, I. didn't get the chance to play it through the Mesa today. Hopefully I'll have better luck Wednesday.

Comment

I really need to decide if I want the Nazgul & Sentient set, or the Black Winter set for my ESP Alex Wade sig model... Either one so far trumps the Distortion 7 set I was considering.

My question here for those who have these, in ANY version of 6, 7 or 8-string: How do these sound when in split coil modes??? How's the distortions and cleans when in split/single coil mode???

Comment

Originally posted by Despised View Post
                                I really need to decide if I want the Nazgul & Sentient set, or the Black Winter set for my ESP Alex Wade sig model... Either one so far trumps the Distortion 7 set I was considering.

My question here for those who have these, in ANY version of 6, 7 or 8-string: How do these sound when in split coil modes??? How's the distortions and cleans when in split/single coil mode???
                                I won't known the answer to that until I buy a set for my Jackson USA King V (the next guitar I plan on putting BWs into). That said, they are very chimey in full mode when clean.

Comment

Working...
                                X