banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

The blackw inters may be a bit too hot for those classic tones. Have you considered the EMG 57/66 set for actives?

Comment

Originally posted by RustInPeace View Post
      The blackw inters may be a bit too hot for those classic tones. Have you considered the EMG 57/66 set for actives?
      I've managed to get AC/DC type tones out of mine.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

black winters will surely handle the heavier stuff you're most concerned with. And out of your list of passives are the most versatile, and with a little finesse, shouldn't have a problem with the classic jams.
        "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

I'm angry. Bought a Charvel So-Cal earlier this year, which has a SD Distortion set. After installing a BW in my Jackson, I dislike the Charvel's sound. Gonna have to replace those Distortions after all I suppose.

BTW the Jackson had an EMG-81 before, and the BW turned it from plastic **** to utter everything-awesomeness. Best pickup ever.

Comment

Originally posted by omg81 View Post
            I'm angry. Bought a Charvel So-Cal earlier this year, which has a SD Distortion set. After installing a BW in my Jackson, I dislike the Charvel's sound. Gonna have to replace those Distortions after all I suppose.

BTW the Jackson had an EMG-81 before, and the BW turned it from plastic **** to utter everything-awesomeness. Best pickup ever.
            The curse of the black winter.

Comment

How far away from the strings do you keep your neck pickup?

I have a set of BW in my Gibson Les Paul Custom. The bridge pickup works flawlesly, a great and percusive metal pickup. My bandmate and myself have them in all of our guitars.
              It's the neck pickup thats bugging me, everyone talks about great cleans, and accoustic-like quality. But mine is just too much output, it's never clean and too muddy sounding. And when I roll down volume, i lose treble and gets even more muddy.
              I use Cts 500k pots. I've tried even removing the tone pots from the circuit.
              Last edited by episode666; 07-08-2015, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by episode666 View Post
                How far away from the strings do you keep your neck pickup?

I have a set of BW in my Gibson Les Paul Custom. The bridge pickup works flawlesly, a great and percusive metal pickup. My bandmate and myself have them in all of our guitars.
                It's the neck pickup thats bugging me, everyone talks about great cleans, and accoustic-like quality. But mine is just too much output, it's never clean and too muddy sounding. And when I roll down volume, i lose treble and gets even more muddy.
                I use Cts 500k pots. I've tried even removing the tone pots from the circuit.
                I kept the neck version just about flush with the pickup ring when installed in my Les paul Custom. Certainly high output and compressed, but not muddy by any means.

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                  I kept the neck version just about flush with the pickup ring when installed in my Les paul Custom. Certainly high output and compressed, but not muddy by any means.
                  Mine is also flush with the pickup ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can anyone tell me how these compare to the D Activator set?

I'm also interested in hearing about the neck pickup. I haven't really dug the clips I've heard so far. My problem with the D Activator set is that the neck and bridge are tonally WAY too similar. As a result, I may consider pairing a Black Winter bridge with a neck pickup that's not so intense but not too P.A.F.y either. Don't get me wrong, I love the '59 and have one paired with a distortion in another guitar, but I'm like something a little different. Some of the options I've been considering are a Full Shred neck, Jazz neck, and a Liquifire that I'm pulling out of the bridge of another guitar.

What do you guys think?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about my D-Activator neck. The BW neck sounds like a neck position humbucker should though Furthermore...

The D-Activators have a very particular attack to them that the BW doesn't have.
                      The BW is bigger soundin whereas the D-Activator is more focused.
                      Both are great under gain, but the BW does have the better cleans.

Comment

Actually, I'd also like to see what everyone thinks about pairing it with a 59 in the neck. So far I'm just pretty apprehensive about the Black Winter neck.

Comment

Originally posted by RStabler View Post
                          Actually, I'd also like to see what everyone thinks about pairing it with a 59 in the neck. So far I'm just pretty apprehensive about the Black Winter neck.
                          Is the ceramic magnet what is bothering you about the neck? Because that was bothering me big time. I just never had any experience with a ceramic magnet in the neck and I didn't know what to expect.

Then came installation day.

Oh My.

The Black Winter Neck is one of the most incredible pickups I've ever experienced in 27 years of playing.

I have that guitar wired Bridge Volume - Neck Volume - Neck Tone, so I can dial back the neck and get that "woman" tone in the middle position. BRO....IT WORKS.
                          For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Got my BW neck today to match the bridge in my old Epi G400. Did a lot of soldering and now have 12 different pickup settings: bridge HB + split, neck HB + split is 4, that makes another 4 in middle position (parallel), and another 4 in series.

A bit too many perhaps, I'm getting lost a bit right now, but so I can try 'em all out. Playing blues all the time now instead of black or thrash metal. Both in HB mode in series gives me some surprisingly sweet, fat, warm PAF-style blues sound that crunches my clean channel nicely. The JVM's clean channel normally is pretty clean, but a total of some 33 kOhm really kicks its arse.

Traditionally, I use neck pickups rarely, and the tone knob almost never, but suddenly I'm putting it all to good use. Lovely. I thought my triple-Duncan Framus was versatile, now my 2-pup Epi pisses all over it. Almost too good to be true.
                            Last edited by omg81; 10-31-2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by omg81 View Post
                              Got my BW neck today to match the bridge in my old Epi G400. Did a lot of soldering and now have 12 different pickup settings: bridge HB + split, neck HB + split is 4, that makes another 4 in middle position (parallel), and another 4 in series.

A bit too many perhaps, I'm getting lost a bit right now, but so I can try 'em all out. Playing blues all the time now instead of black or thrash metal. Both in HB mode in series gives me some surprisingly sweet, fat, warm PAF-style blues sound that crunches my clean channel nicely. The JVM's clean channel normally is pretty clean, but a total of some 33 kOhm really kicks its arse.

Traditionally, I use neck pickups rarely, and the tone knob almost never, but suddenly I'm putting it all to good use. Lovely. I thought my triple-Duncan Framus was versatile, now my 2-pup Epi pisses all over it. Almost too good to be true.
                              They are magical.

They just KNOW what you want

I'm so glad you are happy with them.

Please stop by and let us know what you think of the individual settings. I think (thus far) you are the member here who has split them and configured them the most with your whopping 12 positions.

See you around,

~LD
                              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                                They just KNOW what you want
                                Indeed. They showed me that what I want to play most is the blues. Fantastic. And I'm still amazed that I now have a guitar that will play Slayer on a gig just as well as BB King in a smokey blues pub.

I just found a singer's mic in my old stuff, with a bit of luck I can manage to do some halfway useful recordings with that. I can go right into the PC via Line 6 or Boss thingy and stuff, but with this digital amp modelling stuff everything sounds the same. And never good.

Thinking of it, I should try my little Laney Cub-10 valve combo which I once bought as a portable blues amp. It should rock.

Comment

Working...
                                X