banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Black Winter owner.... Feedback so far????

I didn't get around to setting up to record, but I did get my Black Winter set swapped into another one of my guitars. Actually I swapped pickups out in 3 of my guitars yesterday. The Les Paul got the 500T/496R out of my Explorer, the Explorer got the Screamin' Demon & Pearly Gates out of my Les Paul, and the Black Winters wound up in my El-Cheapo JS Series Jackson King V (Alder body, Rosewood fretboard on a bolt on Maple neck, and a string through body Tune-O-Matic).

I decided to give the BWs a try with 250k pots and a .022uf cap for now, until I get ahold of some more of the 500k Bourns pots I like. It works well enough, but they 250s chop off a lot of the chimey top end, which wasn't much if a surprise. I will put some 500s & a .047uf cap in there when I order some more, but for now this works fine. I like the mids in this guitar a lot more and the problem with the low mids I had with the BWs in the Explorer is gone. There are still plenty of lows, though. And the neck pup in alot blusier sounding with the Alder than it was with the Mahogany of the Explorer. So, in the Cheap V they will stay, eventually with different pots, of course.
    Last edited by Gone_Shootin; 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM.
    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

The moment SD releases a pickup that's as fluid as the JB, as tight as the fullshred but has the chunk of the invader and the grittyness of the distortion if I pick hard.

that's what I'll buy.
      Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!

Comment

OOooooooh....man.

Bad hair day with the Winters on Saturday.

So...the Winters finally met the Mesa Mark IV on Saturday afternoon and I could NOT dial out this cocked wah tone that they seem to really like to create together.

I'm going to tweak more later, but if it comes down to redialing the Mark IV for just the Black Winters or just using the Mark IV for every other axe in my quiver, then I'll just have to keep those two separated on the playground from that point on.

I also have a theory that I'm going to try with this pairing. I think the reverb is leaking into the signal when bypassed with the pedal. so I'm going to take the pedal out of the equation and just turn the reverb knob all the way down and try it that way.

Also...I re-visited the "Winters Vs the Mesa Stiletto" pairing and I swear I almost sold that amp over it this past weekend. I may just use it for cleans from now on. [gives Stiletto the finger]

More later I guess.

~LD
        For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Lucy, try them in an Alder bodied guitar. I think your Mesas will like it, mine did.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
            Lucy, try them in an Alder bodied guitar. I think your Mesas will like it, mine did.
            Man...I may just throw them in a Strat!!

So far it is just the Mark IV that is being a snob.
            The Stiletto doesn't like ANYTHING because Mesa tuned the sound after an ice pick being played through a trumpet.
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

Comment

if you throw them in a strat let me know how they turn out. Im thinking of replacing my breed with the winters in my alder strat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                Interesting, this makes me much more interested in them than I was before! I'm extremely curious now. I got a Mesa Mark V, and these would be going into an Alder bodied guitar, so it may work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                  OOooooooh....man.

Bad hair day with the Winters on Saturday.

So...the Winters finally met the Mesa Mark IV on Saturday afternoon and I could NOT dial out this cocked wah tone that they seem to really like to create together.
                  I have been listening to Hypocrisy's self-titled album lately; the whole thing has a bit of that cocked wah mid-boost thing happening. I actually dig that sound quite a bit if used in the right context.

Comment

Originally posted by Despised View Post
                    Here's the best way to get an idea of the BW's compared to a lot of other Duncans...
                    *Black Winter vs. Distortion 6:
                    Get the Seymour Duncan Black Winter from Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWHAEHM/?tag=dnulgn-20My Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/fearedseMy Blog:...

*Black Winter 7 vs. Nazgul 7:
                    Trying out the Nazgul and Black Winter pickups together, through JamUp Pro. Will it blend?Follow me on Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/keith.merrow1Follow ...

For comparisons of others like the Distortion vs. JB vs. Custom vs. Invader vs. Anything else, I'd check out the videos that Keith Merrow has posted up on YouTube of the comparisons. Even though they are all distortion and metal toned, it'll give you the basic idea...
                    I despise clips besides loving Ola's playing. Why? Because I get little or no idea of the tone. I hear Ola, I hear the amp, I hear the production, but not the pickups.

About my initial proposal. there's a pickup that does what I described. They just have to make the darned thing.

there are actually 2 pickups....

1: PATB1 PATB2 hybrid alnico 8.
                    2: Distortion/Fullshred alnico 8 hybrid.

Those pickups are amazing. My to-go pickups if I wanna go high gain.

Comment

I despise clips besides loving Ola's playing. Why? Because I get little or no idea of the tone. I hear Ola, I hear the amp, I hear the production, but not the pickups.

About my initial proposal. there's a pickup that does what I described. They just have to make the darned thing.

there are actually 2 pickups....

1: PATB1 PATB2 hybrid alnico 8.
                      2: Distortion/Fullshred alnico 8 hybrid.

Those pickups are amazing. My to-go pickups if I wanna go high gain.
                      A PATB2 with an Alnico8 mag would just suck... Baaaadly. It already has over compressed/clarity issues with a ceramic. An A8 is even duller than a ceramic.
                      DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Grindspine View Post
                        I have been listening to Hypocrisy's self-titled album lately; the whole thing has a bit of that cocked wah mid-boost thing happening. I actually dig that sound quite a bit if used in the right context.
                        Well, it's there if I want it now I guess. I can always just switch between the Mark IV and the RoadKing for different flavuh.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Order Lord View Post
                          A PATB2 with an Alnico8 mag would just suck... Baaaadly. It already has over compressed/clarity issues with a ceramic. An A8 is even duller than a ceramic.
                          have you TRIED it?! I guess not. having it as a hybrid gives it so much clarity. I mean... give it a go. I put it in a les paul and everybody who tries it loves it. and I mean, everybody.

so hold your horses and give it a go first.

Comment

Hey Lucy, is there anyway you could make clips and such? That would be extremely helpful, being as how you seem to have a similar set up as me, only with more guitar options haha

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                              Man...I may just throw them in a Strat!!

So far it is just the Mark IV that is being a snob.
                              The Stiletto doesn't like ANYTHING because Mesa tuned the sound after an ice pick being played through a trumpet.
                              Lol, you're not the first person I've heard use the words "ice pick" when describing the Stiletto.

Comment

have you TRIED it?! I guess not. having it as a hybrid gives it so much clarity. I mean... give it a go. I put it in a les paul and everybody who tries it loves it. and I mean, everybody.

so hold your horses and give it a go first.
                                Dude, I recorded a whole album with it. Alnico is always less clear than the ceramic, and that pickup has a low resonant peak. Whats needed is a higher resonant peak patb2 to get more clarity. Anyway, this thread is about the Black Winter, so stick to the topic
                                DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Working...
                                X