Strat HH w/import 5-way, from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat HH w/import 5-way, from scratch

Hey fellas, I'm rebuilding my trusty old strat into an HH setup featuring a matched set of 59's. I'm using an alpha wiring upgrade kit from guitar fetish, but I'm only using 1 volume and 1 tone, and the selector switch is one of those import 8 lug in a row deals, which I'm not at all familiar with. The included diagram tells me how to wire up 3 single coils, which is definitely not what I need. Still -

I'd like to wire everything up like so, position by position:
    Neck Humbucker
    Neck Coil Tapped
    Neck and Bridge Humbucker
    Bridge Coil Tapped
    Bridge Humbucker

Question 1 - is this possible?
    Question 2 - is there a diagram that could show me exactly what I need to know to make this happen?

I haven't been able to come across any wiring diagrams featuring this kind of switch, only the standard fender or the super/mega variations, and I can't quite wrap my dumb head around some kind of translation from those to the straight 8 I'm going to use. I know this stuff isn't rocket science, but I just want to get it right the first time and be very sure of what I'm doing.

Any help/alternative suggestions at all are greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time.

Re: Strat HH w/import 5-way, from scratch

I'm afraid that's not goin to happen with a standard Strat 5 way. There's a diagram on the SD site with a USA Strat five way (you can find diagrams matching import to USA switches), but you won't get the options you want. You'll need a super switch or similar.
    http://www.lonephantom.com
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing a few years back on a project strat. I had a jpg that I called the rosetta stone of 5 way switches but this is similar. Translates the usa switch connections to the import version.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5 way switch wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	5769090

I'm thinking if you used push pull pots on one or maybe both vol & tone you could pull off that wiring idea no problem.

Comment

Yeah, you'll need a superswitch. That said, from there I could easily draw you a diagram with the options you want.
        MEMBER OF THE SACRED ORDER OF THE STONECUTTERS

Comment

Okay, stupid newb question here - why does each pickup position have two lugs assigned to it?

Comment

Working...
          X