Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Warmoth J Bass with Duncan Basslines

34" Scale Warmoth J Bass:

Bubinga neck, Ziricote fretboard, abalone fret markers, solid swamp ash body (one piece) with a quilt maple top. She is a tone machine with sustain for days; this is thunder! It's got a Duncan Basslines STK-J2n Hot Stack neck pickup and a STK-J1b Classic Stack in the bridge position. I love this bass, I used to own as many as 3 basses at any given time but since 2009 this has been the only bass I've needed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	J1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	5828913Click image for larger version

Name:	J2.jpg
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	5828914Click image for larger version

Name:	J3.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	5828915Click image for larger version

Name:	J4.jpg
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	5828916
    Soundcloud

Re: 2008 Warmoth J Bass with Duncan Basslines

VERY nice! I love blue and green, and I'm a big fan of Warmoth, Jazz, & Seymour Duncan. Needless to say, I'm really impressed with your bass. Beautiful!

Here's my Warmoth Jazz, if you're interested.

Bubinga neck
    Wenge fretboard and thumb-rests
    Schaller tuners
    Schaller bridge
    Schaller strap-lock pins
    Fender Super 55 split-coil pickups
    500K individual pickup V/T and master V/T
    Turnstyle switch
    D'Addario rounds

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Nice bass indeed and thanks for sharing! I love wenge, the guitar in my avatar has a wenge neck with a 59 roundback profile! It's a tone monster! I've always wondered what wenge would sound like as either a neck or a fretboard on a bass. How do you like it?

Shout out to another gorgeous J!
      Soundcloud

Comment

Congrats to you both! They look sweet.

BT, what made you go for the 3-pup setup?
        sigpic
        "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
        --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
        Originally posted by Lewguitar
        In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
          Nice bass indeed and thanks for sharing! I love wenge, the guitar in my avatar has a wenge neck with a 59 roundback profile! It's a tone monster! I've always wondered what wenge would sound like as either a neck or a fretboard on a bass. How do you like it?

Shout out to another gorgeous J!
          I love the wenge on my fretboard. I lucked out -- this was a showroom neck that just happened to have a wenge fretboard that had the most gorgeous streaking pattern I'd ever seen. It was my first experience with wenge, and it probably won't be my last. I don't think I'll have it as a neck wood, though -- it's a heavy wood, and the longer neck on a bass probably puts it more at risk for neck dive.

Comment

Thank you kind sir! I really dig the Les Paul bass in your avatar! I've always wanted an LP bass and if I ever do get another bass that style would be it!!

I'm also very curious on how the 3 pickup setup is and what lead to that decision BlueTalon

Originally posted by ginormous View Post

Soundcloud

Comment

It is a heavy wood for sure, but it's so nice! It's tone is very unique. It's almost like a cross between swamp ash's responsiveness and maple's spank however with more of a howling mids and boomy but smooth lows. That's why i'm curious about how it would be on a bass neck, even an all Wenge neck intrigues me. Almost half of the basses I've owned have suffered from neck dive! I'm lucky this J bass body is over 5 pounds to help balance out the heavy Bubinga! That bubinga has sustain for years though so I wouldn't trade it for anything! I too lucked out on this neck being in the showcase back in the Screamin' Deals days!

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
              I love the wenge on my fretboard. I lucked out -- this was a showroom neck that just happened to have a wenge fretboard that had the most gorgeous streaking pattern I'd ever seen. It was my first experience with wenge, and it probably won't be my last. I don't think I'll have it as a neck wood, though -- it's a heavy wood, and the longer neck on a bass probably puts it more at risk for neck dive.
              Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post

I'm also very curious on how the 3 pickup setup is and what lead to that decision BlueTalon
                Thanks! Why the 3 pickups? I wanted something with more tonal range than a typical Jazz. Normally, J's aren't known for their bottom end. Whenever there's a discussion about P's and J's, the conversation usually involves something about how the J's are better at mids and highs while P's are better at lows. I wanted something that could do it all. And I wanted something unique, something eye-catching.

The bridge pickup is in the normal location (not the 70's reposition Warmoth offers as an option). The other two slots are custom routes I had them do, 2" edge-to-edge. That puts the neck pickup 1.5" - 2" closer to the neck than either a normal neck J pickup or a P pickup. That gives me a bassier oomph. The pickups are bright and crystal clear.

A lot of people see the bass and immediately think "strat". I think strats are great guitars, except for two things I hate about them -- single coil noise, and the inability to select all three pickups at once. (I always wondered why strats have that either/or 5-way switch, until I put 2 + 2 together about the single coils.) The setup on this bass is three humbucking split-single-coil pickups, which eliminates the need for a switch to select a humbucking combination of pickups. Every combination of pickups is humbucking, because every pickup is humbucking.

At the heart of the bass is the Turnstyle 6-position rotary switch. Position 1 gives me full manual control of all three pickups. I can dial up any combination I want using the individual pickup controls. Doing it that way allows me to fade pickups to influence the sound, for example, full open on the bridge pickup and 80% each on the other two. That sort of thing is impossible with a 5-way switch.

Positions 2-6 are tone presets. Michael at Turnstyle incorporates tone circuitry to create whatever tone you want to reproduce. In my case, those tones are P-bass, J-bass (with the pickup mix in the sweet spot), Rickenbacker, Thunderbird, and Overdrive. When the switch is in any of those positions, the individual pickup controls are bypassed, and I control everything with the master V/T.

The other thing the Turnstyle switch does is make it possible to have a master tone control in series with the individual tone controls. Normally that's a problem, but Michael developed a proprietary work-around.

End result -- a very unique, tonally flexible bass, and a very proud owner.

Comment

That's spot on about the J's (hence the reason why I opted for the Hot stacked neck pickup, same reasons as you stated, wanted more oomph and hate the single coil noise). However, you have yourself a beast with those kind of options for tone and the pre-set option.... are you kidding me? How much did the turnstyle setup set you back?

Very cool bass!
                  Soundcloud

Comment

That's spot on about the J's (hence the reason why I opted for the Hot stacked neck pickup, same reasons as you stated, wanted more oomph and hate the single coil noise). However, you have yourself a beast with those kind of options for tone and the pre-set option.... are you kidding me? How much did the turnstyle setup set you back?

Very cool bass!
                    Thanks again!

I shielded everything and installed the pickups myself, which saved on some labor cost I think. Some copper shielding for under $20 on ebay, scissors, X-acto knife, a pencil with a rounded eraser, a soldering iron and some solder, a couple of evenings, and patience. I'm proud of the final result, but it's something anybody can do if they take their time.

Michael wired everything and installed the controls to my specs, including the turnstyle switch itself and all the tone circuitry (which he developed specifically for my bass), for around $200. That included all the parts.

For what it's worth, I plan on being a repeat customer. I already have another bass in the works that he's going to hot-wire.

Here's a picture of the completed job. I'm still amazed every time I see it how clean it is. No rat's nest wiring at all. (I'm pretty sure if I did that same job, I'd barely be able to get the control cover back on.)

Comment

I hear ya, I started working on my own guitars and basses in 2006 and these days I wire up my own everything. I even wired up an active bass using a Basslines pre-amp back in 2008. My work has become cleaner and cleaner over time but not without some learning experiences (failures) along the way. A little patience definitely does pay off.

Considering pre-amps are usually a little over $100 these days, having somebody wire it in for around $200 including parts is a steal, Turnstyle goes up a few notches in my book!

Thanks for sharing!
                      Soundcloud

Comment

There is no pre-amp in it. It's all passive. I have a few active basses, but I prefer the simplicity of passive electronics. With good pickups, that has never been a disadvantage for me. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they don't do pre-amps at Turnstyle. I hope that doesn't take them down a few notches in your book.

Comment

I didn't think it was a pre-amp but rather I related the complexity of the wiring to something similar to wiring an active pre-amp. Although the Turnstyle definitely looks trickier! I only like active electronics for extra deep bass, period. For everything else I prefer passive as well. Turnstyle stays up a few notches!

I'm guessing there is a battery somewhere for the pre-sets?
                          Soundcloud

Comment

I'm guessing there is a battery somewhere for the pre-sets?
                            Nope! No batteries anywhere on the bass. It's all passive, including the presets. (Michael is very proud of that fact, by the way.)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
                              Nope! No batteries anywhere on the bass. It's all passive, including the presets. (Michael is very proud of that fact, by the way.)
                              As he should be! That's amazing!
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X