Tips on getting more headroom out of EL84 30 watter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on getting more headroom out of EL84 30 watter

so I used my Traynor YGL2 for the first time at loud volumes at rehearsal last night and at around 4 on the volume knob which is pretty loud the sound is full on power tube distorted... is this normal or should I replace the tubes with JJs which I have laying around ?

If not that how else could I get more clean headroom so I can actually use my drive and fuzz pedals without it turning to mush

The Traynor YGL2 is cathode biased EL84 30 watts with a single celestion vintage 30, tubes are in it from factory and the amp was bought new in November..

Click image for larger version

Name:	large_ygl2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	5829044
    Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
    Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
    Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Re: Tips on getting more headroom out of EL84 30 watter

What is in the preamp?

And yeah - try those JJs.

Another option is to yank the stock speaker and go with something that won't break up so quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by erksin View Post
      What is in the preamp?

And yeah - try those JJs.

Another option is to yank the stock speaker and go with something that won't break up so quickly.
      It has 3 12ax7s in the preamp section. I will replace the tubes today and see if that helps but what speaker has less breakup and is somewhat affordable ? I was considering trading this amp for a deville or twin reverb online but I don't wanna give up on it too quick, I love the sound of this amp at medium volume with pedals
      Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
      Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

I was going to suggest you try subbing a 5751 in v1 - that should clean the amp up some without sacrificing attack characteristics.

What speaker is in it now?

Comment

Originally posted by erksin View Post
          I was going to suggest you try subbing a 5751 in v1 - that should clean the amp up some without sacrificing attack characteristics.

What speaker is in it now?
          Ok I will check out that tube, I will be honest I'm not very experienced with tubes and biasing etc... Right now there is a Anniversary edition Celestion Vintage 30 in it

Comment

You don't need to bias for preamp tube swaps. Find yourself a good NOS 5751 (RCA, Phillips, Sylvania, etc) - it will go a long way to cleaning that thing up. Those JJ EL84s should too. I think the speaker is the last piece you should look at if the tube swaps don't get it done.

Comment

ok I will buy the NOS 5751 now online and try it with the new JJ EL84s...thanks again for the help Erksin!

PS I got a new SFT in the mail after sending mine in, man does it feel good to have it back on my board!

Comment

Changing your power tubes will not give you substantially more headroom. However, swapping out one or more of your 12AX7 preamp tubes with a lower gain variety, such as a 12AT7, will definitely give you less (preamp) breakup. If that still doesn't float your boat, you could get a Bad Cat Unleash, which is a reamping device. I have one and it's awesome. It will allow you to keep the gain/volume dial on your amp low so that you have a cleaner tone, but will give you power so that you're heard in a band context.
                Guitars: Red Special, Partscasters, Gibson Les Paul Standard and '61 Ri SG
                Amps: Tiny Terror, AC15HW1, and VHT Special 6
                Effects Chain: Q-Tron->Spark Booster->TU-2->TS808->Distortron->Dimension C->Spring Chicken->Flint->Flashback X4

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Lo View Post
                  Changing your power tubes will not give you substantially more headroom. However, swapping out one or more of your 12AX7 preamp tubes with a lower gain variety, such as a 12AT7, will definitely give you less (preamp) breakup. If that still doesn't float your boat, you could get a Bad Cat Unleash, which is a reamping device. I have one and it's awesome. It will allow you to keep the gain/volume dial on your amp low so that you have a cleaner tone, but will give you power so that you're heard in a band context.
                  Ever try the JJs, Doc? They're considerably cleaner on breakup than other EL84s. He should see an increase in headroom, clarity, and possibly a little more output too.

Comment

Maybe try different phase inverter types like a 12AU7 or 12AT7. You might just be getting a lot of that tube's distortion in there.
                    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

For the position 1 preamp tube option, here are some related gain factors to help decide:
                      12AX7A / ECC83 - 100% of the input signal
                      5751 - 70%
                      12AT7 / ECC81 - 60%
                      12AY7 - 44%
                      12AU7 / ECC82 - 20%

Comment

I was curious about the Phase Inverter tube because I keep reading on how a lot of cranked breakup characteristics come from the phase inverter tube so that's worth a look too... is it possible to put a 5751 in the phase inverter position aswell ??

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          For the position 1 preamp tube option, here are some related gain factors to help decide:
                          12AX7A / ECC83 - 100% of the input signal
                          5751 - 70%
                          12AT7 / ECC81 - 60%
                          12AY7 - 44%
                          12AU7 / ECC82 - 20%
                          very helpful !! would a 12ay7 sound alright ? I crank my amp up decently high to keep up with my brothers amp which is 60 watts 6L6

It's between the 5751 and 12ay7 now

Comment

When I bought my Laney VC30, the guy I got it off was a bit of tinkerer, and he had recently retubed it. He told me he had put in EL84M's because they didn't break up too much. I can't remember if they were Mullard or Sovteks (sorry). But his words indeed rang true, up till about 7-8, there is barely any breakup, and it's freaking loud by this point

After a quick bit of googling, it would seem they were Sovtek
                            Last edited by Stratovarious; 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM.
                            Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                            what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

Originally posted by Stratovarious View Post
                              When I bought my Laney VC30, the guy I got it off was a bit of tinkerer, and he had recently retubed it. He told me he had put in EL84M's because they didn't break up too much. I can't remember if they were Mullard or Sovteks (sorry). But his words indeed rang true, up till about 7-8, there is barely any breakup, and it's freaking loud by this point

After a quick bit of googling, it would seem they were Sovtek
                              interesting, they are safe to use in my amp ?

Comment

Working...
                              X