Demo: Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demo: Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff

If you pressed me to pick one of my muffs, this one would be it. I tried to show why in this demo - I messed with all knobs except volume (it was already above unity at 9 o clock). I start off the demo in the Ram's Head mode, which is my favorite for rhythm work, and switch to the triangle mode at about 3:10. The demo's nice and sloppy, just like the last one - single take, just the way I like it. This sounds massive through my stereo.

Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: Demo: Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
    If you pressed me to pick one of my muffs, this one would be it. I tried to show why in this demo - I messed with all knobs except volume (it was already above unity at 9 o clock). I start off the demo in the Ram's Head mode, which is my favorite for rhythm work, and switch to the triangle mode at about 3:10. The demo's nice and sloppy, just like the last one - single take, just the way I like it. This sounds massive through my stereo.

I like Rams head. You said that this pedal does the Tri and Ram as well as the seperates you had- the Stomp under Foot , and forgot what else? There clearly is a difference from Rams Head to Triangle. Was there that big ofa difference in the seperates?
    I have a good Triangle clone- just need to get another- either Civil war, or Rams head- just need to find out what the big differneces are between the two.
    Nice heavy sound. Parts of that really needed Angry Cookie Monster Vocals!
    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

seems like the Tri mode had more balls and was thicker/smoother to my ears... I want a tri muff now! Finally got rid of my terrible Wren and Cuff TFR
      Guitar- Fender Starcaster/Ibanez Artist in CGCGCC tuning
      Pedals-Whammy V, Micro Pog, Morley Volume, Bass Big Muff P,Malekko Sloika, Polytune,Boss Tera Echo,Boss RC-3 Looper,Boss Space Echo, Radial ABY
      Amp- [Stereo Setup] Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12 Combo + 1960s Script logo Traynor YBA-1 head->Peavey ported 1x15

Comment

If I'm to believe my messages, that Noel Pedals Cornet is on its way...
        Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
          I like Rams head. You said that this pedal does the Tri and Ram as well as the seperates you had- the Stomp under Foot , and forgot what else? There clearly is a difference from Rams Head to Triangle. Was there that big ofa difference in the seperates?
          Thanks for the complements, Jer, I think it sounds pretty good if I say so myself. I was surprised how easy it is to get a nice recorded tone.

As far as the differences between my Tri/Ram and other units... Well, as John of Basic Audio says, he's modded this muff to make it more useable throughout the whole spectrum of the tone knob. If the Stomp Under Foot offerings are truly as vintage correct as I've been lead to believe, then the vintage units only really sounded good with the tone between 11 and 1, and the gain near or at max. The Basic Audio sounds good wherever the tone knob is, however I like it around noon most of the time. It doesn't completely sound like a vintage unit, it sounds... better, in my opinion. Maybe someday I'll get another SUF and compare the two.

Originally posted by SongsForTheDeaf View Post
          seems like the Tri mode had more balls and was thicker/smoother to my ears... I want a tri muff now! Finally got rid of my terrible Wren and Cuff TFR
          Yeah, the Triangle mode has a bit more bass and a little less high end. I prefer the Ram's Head mode for my rig since I run it into a bass amp and that makes the Triangle mode too mushy for rhythm work. If I was using single coils or playing less heavy music I'd probably use the Triangle mode more.

I'm curious - when you used your TFR, was your tone already distorted before you turned it on? Because a lot of the issues you had with it sounded like you were. Muffs aren't meant to be used into high or even medium gain amps/pedal rigs. It just turns everything to mush. You want the amp either clean or just past the verge of breakup.

As far as muffs go, I can't recommend the Basic Audio Tri/Ram enough. Seriously, it's the best fuzz I've played yet. I've also had two of John's other pedals (Foxey Lady and Scarab Deluxe) and they're incredible. His prices are quite reasonable too - $200 is a great deal when you consider you're basically getting two muffs, and in that single box you'll have more available tones than you'll ever need.

Originally posted by Chris of Arabia View Post
          If I'm to believe my messages, that Noel Pedals Cornet is on its way...
          Awesome! I can't wait to hear what you think of it. I'll probably never get one, as I've little desire to drop that kind of coin on a dirt pedal again, but it never hurts to hear about it.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12

Comment

Nice demo. You are absolutely right about the tone knob being useful only from 11 - 1 on vintage muffs. I had a deluxe big muff and anything below 11 was just too bassy for anything practical, and anything else above 1 was ice picky. This basic audio pedal really is 2 muffs in 1, and warrants a $200 price tag. 1 thing I'd like some clarity on, since no offical big muff to date has a dedicated mids knobs, where would the mids knob have to be for a vintage correct tone?

Comment

I have found that vintage correct big muff mids can be had with the mids knobs around 9:30. There is a lot of mid boost available on this pedal, but you can also get very scooped with the mids knob off or near off. It's the most versatile muff I have ever used.
              Custom neck-thru strat
              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
              1995 PRS CE24
              D'avanzo #8
              Breedlove Solo Concert
              1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

After seeing this and hearing several demos, and after deciding the EHX muff tone wicker is too noisy and its foot switch has hit or miss engagement, I'm considering ordering the basic audio tri/ram tonight.

How quiet is it relative to EHX muffs? I believe it's hand built, so I'm assuming it's built like a tank.

Comment

ive not tried the basic audio, but i have built and modified clones of russian and ramshead muffs and played thru green russian and nyc muffs. I know why you like the ramshead. its quite defined and tight for a muff and it records well too.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 04-09-2014, 05:45 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Considering how much gain it has on tap, I have never had an issue with it producing undue noise.
                    Custom neck-thru strat
                    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                    1995 PRS CE24
                    D'avanzo #8
                    Breedlove Solo Concert
                    1996 USA Dean Baby Z

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                      Considering how much gain it has on tap, I have never had an issue with it producing undue noise.
                      Awesome, thanks. The tighter bass from the ram setting (I think ram) and the mid switch are big for me. Aside from noise and the bum switch the ehx muff was also too woofy thru my setup. I tried running a TS type pedal in front, and that did tighten it up (and create a pretty cool mixed voice), as well as add mids, but it also magnified the already noisy ehx. And the basic audio is smaller.

Comment

Working...
                      X