Joyo US Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joyo US Dream

Has anyone tried the Joyo US Dream? I just got one, I really like the tone but it's incredibly noisy. Playing it through the clean channel of my EVH 5150 III amp, and it's just incredibly noisy even with the noise gate. I may just toss it and stick to my amps overdrive

Re: Joyo US Dream

If you are selling, let me know. No personal experience, other than vids. Seemed fine. As mentioned in the Riot thread today, Riot is very quiet apparently...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've owned the Joyo Us Dream, and the Suhr Riot. Yes, the Joyo is a very noisy pedal compared to the original Riot. Soundwise, I prefer the Riot still. The Joyo sounded a bit stiffer than the Riot.
      1989 Greco Les Paul EG59-60
      1992 Fernandes Telecaster
      2013 PRS Bernie Marsden SE
      2014 Tokai Love Rock LS115F
      2013 Ibanez Prestige RG3521
      2018 Ibanez JCustom RG8570Z
      Friedman Runt 50

Comment

IMHO, all those cheap Chinese pedals are junk, and they sound like crap and they are built to break, with sub standard compononts and pilfered hacked engineering. Generally the same guys that tout these cruddy pedals play through low budget chinese amps and guitars, and claim there is no difference in sound from high quality stuff and their junk. Just an opinion folks, you are free to disagree without getting hostile or making it personal.
        Its one thing if thats all you can afford , and I copngratulate you on your Joyo, but lets not say they are of equal tone to the pedals some of us have spent hundreds of U.S. dollars on, with mil-spec compononts and state of the art engineering.
        Lose the Joyo and save your money and grab a solid pedal.Somthing like this for instance, about just 3 times the price, would be so far above and beyond the caliber of a Joyo, that its not even funny;

Last edited by MetalManiac; 08-17-2013, 07:17 PM.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

I have not tried it but I have to say those Joyo pedals are just plain old cheap junk.

It might sound good...hell, it might sound great but the quality in build and in parts simply can not be there for $35...

You get what you pay for.
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Save up for a Freekish Blues.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I agree. I can afford the Riot, I just figured I'd give this pedal a try since everyone's raving about it, but it is a very cheap noisy clone- kinda like comparing a real Rolex, or even a Michael Kors watch to their counterfeit knockoffs

Comment

Maybe the build quality isn't 100% up to the level of the American made counterparts, but the sound sure is. I've A/B'ed several different Joyo and Mooer pedals with their progenitors (the Riot, Sweet Honey, TS9, and OCD) and the sound is pretty much the same. And for $35, I can wear out 4-6 of them before spending what I would have spent on just one of the boutique pedals. For most people, it just makes a lot more sense.

And as far as their durability goes, I've had to warranty two MXR pedals in the one year that I've owned my Joyo Sweet Baby.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  Save up for a Freekish Blues.
                  I really hope your joking. ....

Comment

Originally posted by AudioWonderland View Post
                    I really hope your joking. ....
                    Of course I was.

For those that are unaware, Freekish Blues got really popular for a few months selling pedals, even got Dweezil Zappa's endorsement.

They were repainting Joyo Ultimate Drive pedals and selling them in the $200 price range.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

I just got one (Love it by the way), and mine is not any noisier than my Crunch Box...

Comment

I'm surprised by the noise complaints here. I use mine extensively with single coils and the gain past half, and it's not noisy unless I'm too close to the amp or something.
                        Other than that, it's not worse than my Metal Muff or my Jackhammer. But it sounds better than both.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                          IMHO, all those cheap Chinese pedals are junk, and they sound like crap and they are built to break, with sub standard compononts and pilfered hacked engineering. Generally the same guys that tout these cruddy pedals play through low budget chinese amps and guitars, and claim there is no difference in sound from high quality stuff and their junk. Just an opinion folks, you are free to disagree without getting hostile or making it personal.
                          Its one thing if thats all you can afford , and I copngratulate you on your Joyo, but lets not say they are of equal tone to the pedals some of us have spent hundreds of U.S. dollars on, with mil-spec compononts and state of the art engineering.
                          Lose the Joyo and save your money and grab a solid pedal. Something like this for instance, about just 3 times the price, would be so far above and beyond the caliber of a Joyo, that its not even funny; (picture omitted)
                          I agree that military-spec stuff is more durable than the cheap components that go into the $35 pedals, but most of the people you play in front of as a guitarist isn't going to know whether the pedal you're using is 'transparent' or what have you. They just want you to make sweet ass guitar sounds with your music stick.

As far as lighter distortion pedals - I've experimented with the 'high grade' stuff - things like MA856 and germanium diodes, the Burr Brown op-amps, etc. I've used Elna capacitors which are supposedly some of the best audiophile-grade caps. Well, some of the best that don't cost hundreds of dollars per capacitor.

I've built BYOC kits, which are loaded with good components (E.S.V. fuzz, their Wah kit, treble booster, etc.) and even some GGG circuits whose components aren't as great but the kits are a lot more affordable (Marshall Bluesbreaker copy pedal, Way Huge Red Llama distortion clone).

I've also heard some of these cheap Chinese pedals (most notably the bad monkey and w/e danelectro copy of the OCD that was in the silver box, and the other cool cat pedal which was gold colored instead of silver) and they're close enough that if I didn't enjoy messing with pedals I would definitely just go ahead and get one of those.

The only problem I really have with the cheapo pedals is the SMD components. If my SD-1 breaks I can go down to radio shack and buy new parts for it and have it running again in as long as it takes to heat up my soldering iron, but I don't have the dexterity to fix those tiny little SMD components.
                          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                            The only problem I really have with the cheapo pedals is the SMD components. If my SD-1 breaks I can go down to radio shack and buy new parts for it and have it running again in as long as it takes to heat up my soldering iron, but I don't have the dexterity to fix those tiny little SMD components.
                            I can agree with this sentiment. One of the MXR warranties I had to do was because an SMD part failed, and even my normal go to guy couldn't fix it. He had to send it back to MXR (and they sent me a new one without charging me a dime, which was awesome). I'm afraid of this problem with my Mooers.

One more thing on this, then I'll drop it. People who are to into having "the best" gear seem to forget that most of your tone comes from your fingers, pick attack and touch. I play a Squier Vintage Modified Tele, I have two Joyo's and three Mooers, and either play a Mesa DC-5 or a '68 Fender Bassman. I get compliments on my tone at pretty much every show. Compliments from older guitar players who have been around a while, and from younger players still trying to find their own sound. And honestly, I'm not planning on replacing any of my pedals any time soon. The first one to get replaced will probably be the MXR Dyna Comp (will replace with an Wampler Ego Comp). The pickups in the Tele will likely stay, too, at least for a while (they are Duncan Designeds). The first thing I want to replace is my amp situation. Partially because neither amp actually belongs to me (they belong to my g/f), but also because I'm just not 100% happy with either of them. The "cheap chinese" junk pedals and guitar that I have wont be going anywhere soon, and I'll keep getting great sounds out of them.
                            Last edited by Matt42; 08-19-2013, 07:24 PM.
                            Go Packers!

Comment

There's nothing wrong with not being able to afford the pedals yours are clones of. I can afford to support American businesses and ingenuity, so I do. I'd rather do that then send my money to chinese companies. The way I see it, when I buy a pedal from Foxrox, Analogman, Strymon, etc, my money stays in this country and helps to put dinner on the plates of small business people and their famalies. I'm also showing big chinese companies that I don't support their practices, which I don't.

I hear a bunch of people complaining about jobs being shipped overseas, or how American companies are being undercut by Chinese/Indonesian/Korean/etc manufacturers. Supporting companies like Joyo and Mooer is part of the problem. Buying from Basic Audio, PaulC, Mojo Hand, INFANEM, et al is part of the solution.
                              Last edited by Agileguy_101; 08-19-2013, 04:44 PM.
                              Custom neck-thru strat
                              1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                              1995 PRS CE24
                              D'avanzo #8
                              Breedlove Solo Concert
                              1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                              1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                              1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                              Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Working...
                              X