banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

&^%^%%$^ Now the tones work, but the volumes don't!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• &^%^%%$^ Now the tones work, but the volumes don't!!!!

WTF?

Ok - tweeked a couple of solder spots. Now here is the condition:

The volumes are not really doing much (some), and the tones work fine.

Anyone?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: &^%^%%$^ Now the tones work, but the volumes don't!!!!

knock knock knock - is this thing on?

Comment

1st thing to check - volume pot ground. Report back.

Meter from pot ground lug to sleeve of output jack.

Comment

It is officially time to learn to use the multi-meter...

Comment

Its fairly simple. But, a couple of quik tips:

1. Voltage and ohms are measured across two points.
          2. Ohms measurements apply a small voltage to the circuit. (Never measure the DCR of a quality audio transformer. You risk magnetizing the core and increasing its THD.)
          3. Amps is measured at a single point. (You must break the connection and insert the meter into that point.) You almost always have to move the meters red lead to a different meter socket.

And, do yourself a favor, and get some leads like this:

Mini-grabbers and banana-to-1/4" jack. Doesn't need to be as fancy as mine. Just get some cheap leads, cut off the probe end, and solder them to a guitar plug. Absolutely invaluable for quik guitar checks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	meter_leads.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	5771871

Comment

solder everything to the output jack and call it good. Just make sure you figure out which lug is "hot" and which is "ground".

All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
              solder everything to the output jack and call it good. Just make sure you figure out which lug is "hot" and which is "ground".

All the best!
              Hey - there is something to be said for that approach.

However, since I can't assume a buyer will be into that on a two pup 4 knob LP - I'm gonna try and get it right!

Comment

I did this same thing to myself, twice upon a time ago. The first time, I didn't get the lug soldered to the back of the pot completely. Then I got the lug soldered to the back of the pot alright, but neglected to ground the back of the pot to something that connects all the way to the ground of the output jack.

Comment

It's just so weird. It's like I completely got pickup amnesia.

It's not like this requires anything except Hot + ground then done...

Sure there was a "mystery wire" but I have figured those out now.

Comment

Just cut off any left over wires, kinda like throwing away leftover screws when working on your car...

Comment

I mean, the thing was perfect before, all I did was remove the previous pups (PG/CC) and insert new ones....

meh - I took a break and fixed a pedal for inspiration. Turned out well!

Comment

Ace, your crack me up. Gotta love ya.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I had a strat that was doing that too....first one thing was wrong, then another. At least you don't have to unstring the thing and remove a pickguard to re solder.

Mine was a burnt pot that was causing all the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                            I had a strat that was doing that too....first one thing was wrong, then another. At least you don't have to unstring the thing and remove a pickguard to re solder.

Mine was a burnt pot that was causing all the issues.
                            oh hell no - don't EVEN say burnt pot

I am using the 40 watt setting....

Comment

My bassist had the same issue. He wasn't replacing the pickups, though; He was replacing the pots themselves. He had one volume, and one tone. He wired everything back up, the same as before, and both acted as tone controls. I'm not saying that this IS your issue, but, it was a fried pot, as with AlexR's experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X