Scored a Bogner Red pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a Bogner Red pedal.

I always keep an eye on my local GC, since they seem to be taking in a lot of used gear and then pricing it lower than market value.

I've been wanting a red or blue Bogner pedal to use in front of any of my clean amps, but the $300 + tax price tag was too much.

Yesterday, I browsed the used section and they had just taken in a Bogner Red that day and priced it at $155. And now, I have to wait 30 freaking days.

Also, GC just instituted a new policy that totally sucks. Now, all used gear must be paid in full, even if you have to wait for the police hold. Before, I'd just put down a small deposit and have 30 days to pay the balance. No more. They're tired of people putting down deposits, getting the gear off the floor, and then changing their minds.
    That's a big bummer. I may even complain about it to GC corporate.

Anyway, in 30 days this mint in box pedal shall be mine!

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Scored a Bogner Red pedal.

From the looks of it with all the options, it looks like a transistorized version of their preamps.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      From the looks of it with all the options, it looks like a transistorized version of their preamps.
      It's actually pretty shocking how good it sounds. I know Reinhold is a genius at designing preamp sections, but I don't know how he can make a SS distortion circuit that actually sounds dynamic and tube-like. Most Distortion pedals sound like a rat's nest compared to this thing.

I have an XTC, but it's volume overkill for a lot of situations. The Red pedal is like adding two channels to any combo amp I plug into. I can't wait to have it in my hands. The 30 day waiting period sucks!

Comment

Joe the dandy highwayman strikes again.... what a deal! That's some recommendation as you have first hand experience with RB's amps. I'm gonna keep my eyes open but doubt that kind of deal will pop up over here, great score for you though.

Comment

What a coincidence! This is the very pedal I just recorded some clips for, for the local distributor here

I think it's an awesome little gizmo - hopefully it works well for you! Happy almost new pedal day!
          http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

Interesting. Some high gain style pedals being offered, Wampler, Tech 21, and Bogner amongst the most highly regarded. I don't think anything meaningful can happen high-gainwise in a pedal beyond the level of a KOT Red. After that, it all sounds buzzy ( think Metal Zone, Fullbore). I bet that Bogner pedal sounds amazing up to and until that point where it tries to get the super high gain thing happening like the amp. I also don't think you can expect the pedal to be a preamp into a clean amp and replicate the Bogner amp very much. Using it to push an actual Bogner amp would be a great boost, and add a voicing, but not much more.

Last edited by MetalManiac; 10-01-2013, 08:11 PM.
            "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Awesome Deal!! I want one really bad too, but surely cant pay the new price.. I hear nothing but good things. Reinhold is really fits that genius mold too as he is a bit eccentric with the hats and clothes.. haha That really sux about the policy change! Thank goodness I scored my charvel bass a few months ago..
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Cool review and site Sixstringsamurai.

One thing I plan to do is hook up the Red to the XTC's clean channel and try and see how close I can get it to the XTC red channel tones. That will be the true test.

And this Joe doesn't practice law!

Comment

Cool, congrats. I figured I'd like the blue better since anytime an amp has a dual voiced overdrive I tend to like the lower gain/smoother one. But I could be wrong in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    It's actually pretty shocking how good it sounds. I know Reinhold is a genius at designing preamp sections, but I don't know how he can make a SS distortion circuit that actually sounds dynamic and tube-like. Most Distortion pedals sound like a rat's nest compared to this thing.
                    Have you tried any of the AMT pedals?

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                      Cool, congrats. I figured I'd like the blue better since anytime an amp has a dual voiced overdrive I tend to like the lower gain/smoother one. But I could be wrong in this case.
                      I've got the Blue to review next - I'm pretty excited. Last time I played an XTC that channel had me hooked!
                      http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for and by the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                        Have you tried any of the AMT pedals?
                        Yeah, but they sound very pedal-like, with a scratchy papery edge to the gain. On the Bogner pedal, there's so many ways to soften or stiffen the sound, and it even sounds realistic plugged right into a crystal clean Fender amp, which is an amazing feat. Also, the boost function has it's own volume and gain, so you can get it dialed in free of any muddiness.

Once I hear this pedal on some good fat clean tube amps, I'll be able to mix it in to sound completely authentic sounding......at least I'll find out in 29 days.

Comment

welcome to the club~! I have the red and blue and love them, running mine with a Fender blues deluxe/speaker change. I keep the boost always on but set low and the gain trim pot around 1 o clock.
                          tone slut
                          Marshall DSL 40C
                          Fender EVH Striped Series
                          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                          Mogami cables

Comment

The blue kinda of got a bad rap on the Gear page because people had a problem with using the boost as a second channel saying its too much. I keep it on low at all times works awesome, plexi is cool also. I owned many plug right into amps over the last 6 years and this set up sounds great clear and loud! and stays together real nicely when jamming loud.
                            tone slut
                            Marshall DSL 40C
                            Fender EVH Striped Series
                            Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                            Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                            Mogami cables

Comment

I'm definitely interested on this one. Would have to watch the used market though. The new price is way out of my range.

Comment

Working...
                              X